General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Tubal Ligation and/or Reversal

I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with having a tubal ligation as far as side effects, weight gain, TOM problems etc... or if anyone has had a tubal reversal and the same questions...

I had a tubal when I turned 18... prior to that, I had very normal, regular periods... after I had the tubal they slowly got worse and worse. Since I was 18 when I had it, I suppose there is no way of knowing if my periods would have changed anyway... but long story short, over the years (I'm now 34) my periods have gotten worse and worse as far as pain to the point that in the past 2 years I have been taken to the emergency room numerous times after being found on the floor sobbing and literally unable to get up... (NOT in my own home!!!) I had had dozens of tests and apparently there is "nothing" wrong with me... I take Darvocet and Percocet for my cramps and it does not relieve them 100% but makes it possible to function....

I'm wondering if being over weight is making the cramps worse or if it is due to the tubal... At this point I am strongly considering a tubal reversal... I would have to get down to my goal weight to be able to do the surgery anyway... so I suppose if I lost the weight and the cramps got better then I wouldn't need to do the surgery...
LittleBrownBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #2  

Height: 5'5

I don't think a tubal has anything to do with your periods. And I do think being heavy can contribute to bad periods.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #3  

Actually there is something called "Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome" which can cause changes in your period including very painful periods - but not all doctors are on board with that.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #4  

Oh yeah! I was considering a tubal last year and reseached it heavy duty.

Too many women experiencing PTLS for it not to be "real."

At one time there was no such thing as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

Now, there is NO WAY I'd ever consider a tubal.
4myloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

WOW you had it done young. I was in my late 20's and had to fight with my OBGYN to get mine done.
Have you had ultrasounds? I started having bad cramping and heavy periods, When they finally did an ultrasound I had thickening of my uterine wall and endometriotsis (sp). They did a procedure called an oblation (clean out) and for over 2 years I have had NO period. Yeah! I am starting to get some cramping again around that time so I think it is about time to go back in.
If they have not done a ultra sound, have them do one.

Last edited by NEMom; 01-23-2012 at 04:05 PM.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #6  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

I had no idea that there was a name for what I had experienced-all the docs just seemed to think I was stupid for thinking my tubal could have anything to do with the changes afterward. For the most part, mine was heavier and heavier periods, but then went into perimenopause early and complete meno before I was 46 . I had mine done during my 2nd c-section. I had arranged with the doctor in advance that if he had to cut me open again, it was to be the last time he had to do it. Afterward, I had a continual period for the next 4 months-light, heavy, light, on and on and on, but never completely stopping the whole time. Hope medicine someday catches up with what women have to go through.
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:27 PM   #7  

I've had numerous ultrasounds (regular and internal) and various other tests... I even had a colonoscopy, MRI, CT scans etc.... my insurance company paid over $30,000 for diagnostic tests and emergency room treatment between 2010-2011 and apparently I'm the picture of perfect health.... except for the fact that I'm overweight...
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

A tubal at 18? How did you get a doc to agree to that?

But that is none of my business.

I've heard some anecdotes of people whose troubles resolved after getting a reversal, but it isn't a sure thing- not all reversals are successful, and since we don't know exactly what is causing the PTLS, hard to say what will cure it.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #9  

It was a doctor I had never been to, she came very highly recommended and was a published and highly accomplished doctor... I went in for the consultation, told her I wanted a tubal, she asked me a couple of questions, agreed to it, I had the surgery within a week after initial consult... I did basically no research, she never told me about the risk of PTLS... I take full responsibility for the situation... I didn't do research, I had just gone through a very emotional situation and the tubal was a reaction to that... if I could do it again things would be VERY different... its a huge regret in my life...

I could deal with the regret if I didn't have to deal with the pain, but the pain is unbearable.. it is interfering with my job and my life... the only upside is that the pain usually only lasts a few hours.. but when the pain hits it is really bad... plus other problems as well which I think are caused by the pain.... I need to work on finding a local doctor who will pursue the issue further because my own GYN thinks I am over reacting and simply need to spend more time with a heating pad and some nice tea...
Old 01-25-2012, 01:31 AM   #10  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

I don't know anything about tubal ligations and their side effects and so I may be way off base here... but the extremely painful periods make me think of endometriosis (as NEMom suggested). It's one of the classic symptoms. I had extremely painful periods for many years (sobbing in the bathtub for hours kind of pain, and it would take 1200mg of ibuprofen just to numb it enough to function) before I was diagnosed with endometriosis following an ectopic pregnancy. Multiple ultrasounds over the years never picked it up, and no one could ever tell me why I had such severe pain. Among the tests you've undergone, has an exploratory laparoscopy ever been performed? As I understand it, it's the best way (actually the only way, other than a more extensive abdominal surgery) to diagnose endometriosis.

If the issue IS endometriosis, there isn't any cure or fix, but birth control pills can help a lot. As I understand it they slow the progression of the disease, and, for me at least, there is a LOT less pain associated with my periods. When I'm on them I get some minor cramps and maybe a single day when I have to take a few small doses of ibuprofen, and that's it.

Just a thought, and maybe something to ask your doctor about. I'm really very sorry you're struggling with so much pain - I know what that's like and how disruptive it can be to your life. I hope you can find something that helps.
chickadee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #11  

Thanks chickadee, I have always assumed endometriosis but my most recent gyno discouraged against laparoscopy because she said it can't be cured so it would just be treated with birth control pills and pain killers anyway so I could just treat it that way... also according to multiple doctors it can't be that because here is no thickening shown on any of the CT scans/ultrasounds etc that I have had... I'm taking on average 2x 800 mg ibuprofin for "minor" pain and vicodin/darvocet/percocet/tramadol for the bad pain... not all of those of course, whatever I have on hand at the time... these pills don't take away the pain, they just make it managable so I can go to work etc...

but usually the pain only lasts a very short time.. ie if I have my period for 5 days, I may have 12 hours of pain with 3 or 4 hours being extreme and then NO pain the rest of the time... is that your experience? Its not like the pain comes and goes, once it start it stays until it ends (as most things do, lol) and then it doesn't come back for the rest of the period... usually it the second day and there is extremely heavy bleeding... also accompanied with nausea, light headedness, sometimes radiating pain down one leg, usually the left leg but yesterday I was limping really bad on my right leg..

The gyn I currently have been seeing for the past 4 years or so has literally told me I am over reacting, that I simply need to take motrin, relax and use a heating pad, obviously I need a new doctor... so thats my project this week, try to find a new doctor who is going to actually help me...

If I knew a tubal reversal would do the trick I would have it in a heartbeat... but I don't want to have it and then find out its not the problem...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #12  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Hey LBB,
So sorry to hear you are having such pains & troubles, that truly sucks!

I too had my tubes tied young, 22 & haven't had any side effects. However, as I'm getting older, my cycles are heavier & last longer & I get cramps down both of my thighs, but I just assume that is the norm for aging as I'm approaching 45 now & I never thought twice about it that it could be tube tied related, hmmm....

Regarding a reversal, my SIL had one 20 years ago being she remarried & wanted another child & had another child with no side effects. I know that is not what your asking, but it was what I know on a tube reversal.

Best of luck with your new dr. Keep us updated. ~ Wendalyn
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #13  

Thanks Wendalyn...

I'm going to explore the endometriosis option further, it seems like that would be the best guess, I've been reviewing some websites this morning and have basically 99% of the symptoms... I also found a doctor close to me who specializes in these kinds of conditions so I think I will gather up all of my records and see about having a consult with him... Its just gotten to the point where I have to do something, its getting worse every month and its interfering with normal life at this point...
Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #14  

The symptoms of PTLS and endometriosis are actually quite similar... if someone told me that PTLS was the cause of my problems I would have the reversal immediately... well I'd need to lose some weight first but I'd begin the steps.. my fear is that I have the reversal and still have the pain....