General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Default McNasty

I'm starting this thread to vent my anger with fast food. It is baffels me how many calories they can throw into a meal!

Today, I dropped my coworker off at Wienerschnizel..I had already had a 6 ounce piece of chicken breast and Fiber One brownie.

Anyways as much as I LOVE chili dogs I had to, out of curiosity look for the calories in the Chili Cheese Dog + Chili Cheese Burger + Chili Cheese fries for 3.99!

Low and behold a grand total of..............340+350+540=1230 calories! DAMN!!!!!!!!!!

Really the burger is not bad compared to......... Sonic Super Sonic Bacon Double Cheeseburger with Mayo with Ched 'R' Peppers
1,610 calories109 g fat (42 g saturated, 4.5 g trans)
2,740 mg sodium

(A BIG MAC is 704! MCNASTY!)

I hate having to look up calories at every resturant, but damn if I didn't I would have gained a lot more weight NO DOUBT!

My favorite website to go to is CalorieKing.com to check. If they don't have a food or resturant just keep Googling.

Anybody else have any McNasty tales?
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Ugh, it is so frustrating. And they pack them full of salt and fat and sugar just to make it more appealing to the masses. Me being one of the masses. :-) What's sad is there have been times when I've known how many calories were in fast food and I've still eaten it. You should read the End of Overeating. He talks about why we're so addicted. At the moment I'm just trying to avoid all of them until I can get my self control working. Because the calorie count is sometimes not enough of a deterrant for me.

Thanks for the info! I hate looking up the calories but I really need to start getting into the habit. This has reminded me of why. :-)
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #3  
Jessica

S/C/G: 153/132/fit and confident

Height: 5'8"

This bothers me too! I know restauraunts are open to make money. The thing that really gets under my skin is that people crate such a demand for these types of food. The fact that not enough people in our society care enough about their health to make much of an impact on the food industry. Yes, there have been some changes in the fast food industry- but usually it's the food companies adding words like "wholesome" or "natural" (fries with natural sea salt..? Yeah- now fries are getting a stamp of health) and many people aren't informed enough to know what's good and what isn't.

It bothers me that a restauraunts can advertise a grilled cheese sandwich stuffed with mozzarella sticks- because they know that that's the kind of food that will draw the most people in. I am not perfect by any means- I am drawn in to pizza and candy, sometimes I give in, and that's ok. Having treats its part of a balanced lifestyle. But these foods are so cheap and accessible- it's easy to get sucked in more often than not...

Yeah, I know that we can all make our own food choices, and just because a food is served somewhere doesn't mean I have to eat it... But I wish we lived in a world where health took priority over comfort foods...

Ok that was totally soap-boxy and ranty... But I actually feel better ;-) thanks for starting this thread. I'm no longer dying for a cookie ;-)
danzingurl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

Hahahahh this title made me laugh. Lets all be rebellions against bad food. We're better than that!
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Restaurant food is no better. I don't understand why there's such a war against fast food when restaurants make meals with over 2,000 calories in them (I'm looking at you, Cheesecake Factory).

There are low-calorie options at both though, so even if you're dragged along with co-workers or friends you can stick to a low-calorie diet. My favorite thing to get when off with friends at Wendy's is chicken nuggets and fries I get the smallest sizes possible and it's very low calorie that way.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #6  

LOL I knew I wasn't the only angry bird here (insert drumset punchline followup)

Anyways the newest one I saw on TV that made me laugh was the Dominos STUFFED CHEESY BREAD! So it's cheesy bread, stuffed WITH cheese....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cheese is good for you, in a small amount, maybe the size of 2 dice. I'm gonna go ahead and say there's about 40 dice on that lol!

As far as the deterrent thing it has worked really well for me. I will look up a few things I would like to eat and see which one has fewer calories. Not always a perfect ending but better than the worst choice.

I rarely eat fast food. I don't crave it, but it does smell good. I just have been weened off of it for such a long time that it is easier for me to say "NO". I know from watching SuperSize Me that you get addicted to the fat and sugars quick. So understandable. You just have to start somewhere and replace those foods with YUMMY healthy foods. There are plenty.

One of the ways I've adapted is by cooking healthy. By measuring 2 servings for myself and my BF.....and then adding it all up..etc. Pain in the *** don't get me wrong, but it is a necessarily evil since I can eat and eat and eat more.

After work is the worst. I can eat healthy all day long...Like today I ate 700 something during my 10 hours at work. Now I am hungry when I get home...just ate 2 eggs on 2 high fiber low cal toast....240.....STILL HUNGRY! bah! This is the danger time for me because I have a tendency to snack...and at times I am TOO lazy to measure out my servings. And sometimes beer is factored in too...eesh!

Anyways I got of on a tangent. Eating healthy is work. I have a coworker who can eat ANYTHING and not get fat....lucky SOB! Sigh.......

Yeah, but I highly recommend counting your calories if you are having trouble loosing. You may be eating more than you realize!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
(I'm looking at you, Cheesecake Factory).
I heard they have great food...but yes I have seen some of the menu items on the WORST FOODS lists....scary!
Old 01-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeDread View Post
I heard they have great food...but yes I have seen some of the menu items on the WORST FOODS lists....scary!
Their food is AWESOME...but terrible for you (unless you watch the amount, but you'd literally need to eat a quarter of your whole meal to get a reasonable amount of calories and save the rest). Luckily they recently made a low-calorie menu with equally awesome food at a quarter of the calories of most of their "regular" meals. The bonus is that that particular menu is also cheaper.

I always get the Skinnylicious stuff when I go to Cheesecake. I just can't eat the regular stuff knowing the calorie counts now.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #9  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

I don't care so much that the food is in generally horrendous for us (and yet at the same time tasty) so much as I care when they don't tell us what's in it. At least if I know, I can plan accordingly, you know?

Ideally there would be healthy options that were tasty and didn't cost two limbs to purchase, but it's just not out there.

But I do appreciate it when restaurants let us know how many calories etc. are in their foods. Of course, that can vary by up to something like 20% and they won't get in trouble for it.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #10  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Restaurant food is no better. I don't understand why there's such a war against fast food when restaurants make meals with over 2,000 calories in them (I'm looking at you, Cheesecake Factory).
I agree anywhere you go calories are ridiculous (Unless you make it at home). Regular restaurants aren't any better than fast food if not worst because they pile a whole bunch of food on top your plate to over stuff you. Fast food places at least rip you off when it comes to fries and toppings they put on their burgers.
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiZTaCCen View Post
I agree anywhere you go calories are ridiculous (Unless you make it at home). Regular restaurants aren't any better than fast food if not worst because they pile a whole bunch of food on top your plate to over stuff you. Fast food places at least rip you off when it comes to fries and toppings they put on their burgers.
True that, it's the world against US!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:30 AM   #12  

It has been years, literally, since I ate fast food ... mostly because of the additives, salts, fats, sugars, but also because of the contamination.

I wish I could remember the name of the program, but I watched a TV documentary in which an undercover person worked for a well known fast food chain and filmed what happened with a secret camera. The truly horribly stuff that discontented kitchen workers did to, and put in, the food, was sufficient to convince me that I could never touch fast food again. It is a wonder people do not get horribly ill in droves.

The only place you can know what goes into your meals, or how hygienic the preparation is, is in your own kitchen. At least if you sneeze, or worse, you know whose germs are involved ... and that you washed the surfaces and your hands.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #13  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinoia View Post
The only place you can know what goes into your meals, or how hygienic the preparation is, is in your own kitchen. At least if you sneeze, or worse, you know whose germs are involved ... and that you washed the surfaces and your hands.
True, but unless you are growing all your own fruits and veggies and raising/killing/butchering your own meat, you never know. For example, I saw a TV show where people actually crawled on top of produce in the grocery store to get to the produce they wanted. There were other things the secret cameras caught people doing but I can't remember. It was gross. I think it certainly helps to cook your own food but you still never know, and it always helps to be extra cautious.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

Well, a restaurant can make food taste delicious to the modern American palate one of two ways.

You can source very fresh, very high quality ingredients, and prepare them with fresh herbs, spices and great skill. Your costs will be very high, and you'll need trained chefs.

Or you can use liberal amounts of butter, oils, sugars, and refined carbs, lots of prepared food shipped in from HQ, which is cheap and can be slapped together by anyone.

Not really any surprise why chain establishments go the way they do.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #15  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i will confess, mcdonalds has almost always been my go-to junk food. their $1 double cheese burger was morning-after-drinking cure for the ick. and a snack on the way home from work. $3 dollars got me a mcdouble, sweet tea, and a small fry. several hundred calories there i know. and i'd get it several times a week. sometimes 2 sandwiches if i was *really* hungry. and that was usually at 11pm! horrible. worse was when i was craving wendy's baconator! i'd get a meal. that sandwich alone has 970 calories, 63 grams of fat, and over 2000mg of sodium. add in the 500+ calories of fries and the 300 calorie frostie... 1800 calories in one meal. as much as it makes me shudder to think of it, i'd probably still get it again at some point (everything in moderation!). :-\ though last time i had fast food it made my stomach very unhappy.

i try to limit fast food eating to when it's a necessary evil (i.e. traveling) and try to get something moderately healthy. grilled chicken sandwiches are what i try to get, though the way everyone's trying to go to the 'artisan' buns, they are literally DRIPPING with butter. i've had to blot my sandwich before eating it!
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote