Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 12:58 PM   #1  

Angry Recommend Exercise Videos

Hi all,
I'm pretty new to these boards. I'm interested in building up my own small collection of exercise videos to have as an option for convenience sake. (I normally go to the gym). Can you recommend exercise videos you own or have tried that are NOT super annoying? With ladies that you can actually STAND?
I've tried a few different ones by checking them out from the library, and so far none of them are ones I would buy. I'm interested in having a little of everything, aerobic/cardio, toning, etc.
Can't wait to hear all your great ideas!
Thanks in advance,

Jen
Old 07-24-2003, 01:14 PM   #2  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

These are ones that I have and do use regularly.

Leslie Sansones 2 mile WATP
This one I discovered from the ladies on 3fc, I had never heard of it before and I like it so much I want to get the 3 mile one.

Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies
I know this is a very old one but I started out with this years ago and it is one I still do to this day, I do enjoy it. I also have the disco one too.

Denise Austins Pilates

Can you tell us some that you have checked out in the library? I am interested to see which ones you have tried and liked or disliked.

Take care
Old 07-24-2003, 03:36 PM   #3  

Unhappy The ones I've tried...

So far, I've tried these from the library:

"Attitude Aerobics" w/ Donna Richardson. The actual aerobics part was pretty good, though dated, but the warm-up & cool down were just STRANGE. They had spliced in some totally different stuff! Tai-chi, yoga, etc. So that one was a no-go.

"Latin Rhythm Workout" w/ Elise Foss. It was sort of hard to follow, and hard to do if you're not used to all the shimmying! I thought it'd be fun, but had trouble doing so really didn't enjoy it too much.

"Dance Fitness"-something (can't quite remember the name). I've always thought learning some dance moves while exercising would be fun, but this lady (Jennifer Kries, I think) did a very poor job of explaining what would come next, and I got lost quickly. The funny thing is, I think I'm pretty quick at catching on to this stuff and DO have rhythm. So I got discouraged & lost and didn't even finish this one (there were 2 30-min. workouts total).

I kinda gave up after those three!

I've heard lots of good things about WATP, so I think I'll see if I can check some of that stuff out of the library & give it a try! Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks!
Jen
Old 07-24-2003, 05:34 PM   #4  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

Love love love WATP - the one, two, and probably even three mile tapes are all really great for beginners, the "instructor" is not annoying (perky thing, I thought she would be, but I don't mind her at all) and it goes by in a flash.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:28 AM   #5  
Walking by faith

Angry Hi!

This is my first time visiting this thread. I'm curious about the WATP tapes. I've heard a lot of great things about them. My problem is that I'm handicapped. My right leg is partially paralyzed, and I wear a leg brace and walk with a crutch. Could some of the lower levels (level 1) of WATP be an option for me? I'd feel a lot more comfortable with something I can do at home.

If you have any experience with the tapes, please let me know.

Thanks and good night
Old 07-25-2003, 02:34 PM   #6  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Homebound, I'm not sure. The core of the program is walking or marching in place with some knee lifts, kick backs, front kicks, etc - and pace is fairly important. Maybe you can check out the one mile tape from your local library or video store.

Have you tried water aerobics? Of course, that's not at home but I know a lot of people really enjoy the work (I have a few family memebers with arthritic knees and hips and the water aerobics really helps keep them fit). Of course, you've probably heard this all before
Old 07-25-2003, 05:59 PM   #7  
one leg press at a time

I love any of The Firm videos. They get results, are serious workouts and you do not waste time with them.
They do use a good bit of equipment, but you do not have to have any to see results. If you have anyquestions about Firm workouts, www.mindundermuscle.com has many members that can answer questions.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:27 PM   #8  

I was wondering if anyone has tried the Joyce Vedral videos? I have started following her Bottoms Up program again (using the book) which did help me when I was following the routine regularly a few years back. I also just got a free Kathy Ireland Advanced Sports Fitness video which I am curious to try. I'll let you know what I think.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:27 AM   #9  

I love my WATP tapes. I find them easy and a great work-out. You dont haveto be able to do any major dance steps..can just follow along. Ive done the 1miles 2 mile and 3 mile walks. I enjoy them all. I lend them out to all my friends and they end up buying them. These are the ticket when u hate to exercise.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:52 PM   #10  
Bad Mamma Jamma

I also like the WATP tapes because I can do the full range of motion, even in my small and crowded space!
Old 07-28-2003, 02:53 PM   #11  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I'm a beginner. That being said...

My basic videos are:

The New You with Linda Evans
Tae Bo Basic
Method: Afro-Brazilian Cardio (short and dancy, but not a good warmup/cooldown)
WATP (she just annoys me, though)

When I'm feeling energetic:

Sweating to the Oldies (he can be annoying, too)
The Firm Basics: Fat Burning
Kathy Smith's Latin Cardio
Donna-Mite (she's GREAT -- the time just flies!)
Kathy Smith Fat Burning

When I want to be challenged:

Your Personal Best
Old 07-28-2003, 03:05 PM   #12  

Angry Thank you...

....for all your suggestions. Please keep 'em coming! I do appreciate it.

Jen
Old 07-28-2003, 09:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Here are my recommendations-
strength training:
Getting in Shape with Weights For Dummies-this is great for beginners, because it explains things well)
Anything by Margaret Richard ( get them at
www.bodyelectrictv.com ) She is my favorite strength training instructor-she is chatty/talkative-but NOT cheerleader perky.
I also really like Joyce Vedral for strength training, but I have to warn you-she is a New York woman-heavy accent and very talkative and she has "New York Attitude." Sometimes it feels like you are being trained by a mobsters wife...

Pilates-(for beginners new to Pilates)
Stott Pilates Basic Pilates
Denise Austin Pilates Matwork-Denise Austin is usually a perky instructor, but in this vid she is much more quiet and toned down.
(these both require no equipment)

Yoga-
any video with Rodney Yee as the instructor-he is easy on the eyes and has such a soothing voice-great for relaxation.

As far as instructors I cannot stand...I can't bear Kathy Smith-all her yelling and "Woohoo!"-ing around....I just want to slap her. Isn't that terrible?!

As far as the training with the leg problems-check out Collage Video website...they have specialty videos for those with leg problems-like videos called "Sit and Be Fit" and other titles, where you work out sitting in your chair. There are actually LOTS of exercises you can do sitting-and these vids are great for that.
Aphil
Old 07-29-2003, 06:05 PM   #14  

Thanks for the info Aphil. Which Joyce Vedral videos have you used? Does she have rests between sets on the videos? I prefer not to use the rests in order to get a better aerobic workout.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:21 AM   #15  

Hi!

Here are the exercise videos I like and actually use.

Joyce Vedral Definition, Fast Forward, and Non Stop

I have tried her interval aerobics tape once and have mixed feelings about it. She says yeah too much and it is annoying so I put on a cd of other type of music to drown her out. =)

A note about her Non Stop video. There are errors on it where she forgets sets of exercises so you have to do them yourself.

Rania Belly Dance videos I like them all

Paula Abdul Cardio Dance

Fat Burning for Dummies

Ana Caban Beginning Pilates

Kathy Smith lower body Pilates

Others I have that I like but are a bit too long are

Cathe Maximum Intensity Strength - This is a full body workout with heavy weights. It is about an hour long and it is tough

Richard Simmons Disco - I like it but it is too long

Chriti Taylor Still Jumping - I like it but it is too long for me

Kathy Smith Latin - Not too long but don't care for her yelling

I have a couple WATP pounds tapes but they are now too easy for me.
Closed Thread