Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default Regainers Relosing. Get it off AGAIN!

Ok chickies, you know who you are.

If you are regainer struggling to relose, let this thread be for us. I'm discovering already that somehow the mindset of a reloser is not the same as the first time around.

Big regain, little tune-up... whatever it is... let's band together to find a way to stick with it AGAIN, and maybe learn some new lessons that will help us keep it off for good.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

Goodness, I'm absolutely in.

I feel like being a "regainer, reloser" is just more frustrating and less joyful. I hit new lower numbers and just think "Well, this is still 40 lbs. higher than where I was...whats to be excited about?" While I know I have to switch this mindset, I'm not ready to stop being mad at myself yet.

Still, excellent thread idea. I'm excited
Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #3  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

I'm here, another regretful regainer. Or another recommitted reloser!

I only (only!) regained 35 pound but i could just kick myself. I really thought i'd never see 200 again and now I'm right where i was 13 months ago...

So far my recommitment seems to be going pretty good for me. I haven't really worked exercise back in to my routine yet but I've cut out the junk food and reacquainted myself with my scale. I'm in a bit of a funk that has nothing to do with my weight gain but i'm hopeful that the healthy food and exercise will help with the emotional doldrums.

Thanks for starting this Ubergirl!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Hi Ducky and Vlada...

I think the mindset must be the most difficult part of it....

I still remember the part of my journey where I was so excited to be slim, not the part when I was struggling to get started. I think I just can't believe that I restarted almost two weeks ago and am still bouncing around 260.

I really thought I would just sort of blink and go right back to around 220 or so. HA!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

GOOD IDEA to start a thread about this very common experience; and, you are so right about it being a totally different mindset the second, or third, or gosh knows how many times around. Ya, and it can feel like a battle; a war even, at times. There were some great ideas from the posters in your last thread about this topic too ...

You know, that is exactly how I found this site in the first place. I had lost a goodly amount of weight; and after one particularly off Christmas, I was having trouble getting back on track. I had appeared to regain 12 lbs even though I was still working towards my goal (of course, some of that was actually water weight), but I was very discouraged by that just the same.

Btw, I had regained lost weight (with some friends) many times before this. I recall vividly how I felt each time I regained the weight before; especially the embarrassment & having to buy larger size clothes. I was so disappointed in myself becuz I wanted to make this a permanent thing this time, but I found that it was so easy to slip up. I now call this one of my BLIPS along the way.

Yes, I knew about the mistakes; and that I had to keep going, but the unexpected regain surprised me -- it threw me for a loop. The stalls and plateaus were bothing me too. It was harder to lose weight at this point in my life becuz of some physical challenges that I didn't have when I was younger. So, I had to find answers to all of these issues too; plus for the emotional-response eating which was a biggie for me as well.

So what have I learned through all of this so far? I may have been discouraged & disappointed, but I was not defeated ...

1 -- Don't give up, no matter what: Quitting is not an option
2 -- decide to re-commit (each day, if needs be)
3 -- keep diggin'; keep tryin'; keep fightin'; keep going
4 -- take small steps back: one-day-at-a-time
5 -- make adjustments: tweak, tweak, tweak
6 -- plan to stay on plan: no excuses
7 -- focus on the positive: all the successes
8 -- find new strategies & solutions
9 -- understand the process: the ups & downs & flats
10 -- determination + persistence + perseverance wins the prize!

Oh btw, I lost that 12 lbs and continued on down to where I am now. I still have a ways to go to reach where I want to be ... and, I now realize that this must be a continuous process; it's not a band-aide solution, but a life-long journey for permanent good health.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-21-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #6  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I'm in.

Uber, thanks for starting this thread.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I've been a loser and regainer most of my life. I got from a low of 195 -back up to 235 & then I started relosing again a while back. (going up and down a few times) I can identify with all that we/you are saying. I am at my ticker weight!

So what will be different this time? How can we make it THE time to lose it. I think for me, it has to do with accepting that it will be a daily endeavor for the rest of my life. It's a daunting thought. I am on my way down again. Taking it one day at a time.

I can tell you one thing (you all know it, probably) any number on the scale looks a lot better on the way down, rather than on the way up!

PS - one thing that has helped me is that I have anchored myself to the gratitude thread. Even if I am gaining, I have committed to still come and post there daily. That way I still have a reason to come here every day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 01-21-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

I never lost a ton to begin with, but for my last 2 serious forays into dieting, I lost 10 - 15 pounds and then it all came back with a vengeance... I'm trying to take it slow and actually exercise this time around.

For me, I have trouble finding balance - either I don't think at all about what I eat, or I obsess and drive myself nuts and then end up stress eating after a month or two This time I've decided to visit 3FC sparsely and to not jump right back with full gusto. I'm going slow so hopefully this time will work out better...
Old 01-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #9  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I kind of thought the first 10 would come off easily, but no. My mindset is a little different in that I care a little less.

I'm in!
Old 01-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I'm not sure if I fit here or not! I did have a slow ten pound regain over about six months from last summer to winter, but I've gotten it off and am well into virgin fat territory. Am I still allowed to hang out with you guys even though I've been back on track longer?

On the upside, I can offer encouragement - a regain does NOT mean you cannot lose the additional weight and MORE without much struggle, it just means you took a little detour
Old 01-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I'm in too! Losing and gaining has been the story of my life. This week has been a little slow moving (I've had a cold which has thrown a wrench in my master plan), but it's at least moving in the right direction.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #12  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I regained 68 pounds over the course of a year or so. I guess I'm grateful that I didn't regain *every* pound, but man, am I disappointed in myself. Mostly I'm disappointed that I stayed in denial long enough to make it back over 200.

Like Eliana, I'd hoped I could get a woosh of 5-10 pounds at the beginning, but alas, it was not to be. I'm one pound down after about two weeks back on plan, and I've really kicked my workouts back into high gear, so things are starting to shift already. I need to really clean up my diet in order to see the weight move, though, and that's proving to be the tricky part for me. I'm considering doing Whole 30 just to jump-start things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyjoy View Post
So what will be different this time? How can we make it THE time to lose it. I think for me, it has to do with accepting that it will be a daily endeavor for the rest of my life. It's a daunting thought. I am on my way down again. Taking it one day at a time..
Beverly, I remember that we were both racing toward onederland at the same time last time around. While I'm not happy to see any of us struggling, it's nice to see familiar faces on the relosing journey.

You make a good point about shifting our mindset from 'diet' to 'lifelong commitment'. When I got down to 150 I started *looking* normal to myself in the mirror for the first time, and thinking of myself as 'normal' gave me permission to get more and more lax about my diet until finally I had to face up to a major regain.

Last edited by thistoo; 01-21-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #13  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

This thread is for me! All of my past dieting/exercising attemps have resulting in a regain with a good amount of extra pounds on top.

The first time I ever really lost weight was in high school. I exercised more and ate better, and while I only lost maybe 20 pounds, I went from a size 22 to a 16/14 (depends on the brand and style).

I ended up gaining a lot of weight after going to college and got up to 260ish before commiting to dieting. I dieted for a month or two and lost maybe 15 pounds, then lost steam and went up to 270.

The next time I tries a diet was less than a year later, and I committed to excercising daily at the school gym and eating better, and I got back down to about 245. Once the semester was over, I didn't have access to the gym and didn't go back to the gym once the spring semester started and eventually I found myself up to 302.

This time, I'm losing it and keeping it off! No excuses!
Old 01-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #14  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

3rd Times A Charm--which is where my blog got its name!

Yep! 3rd time--same 20 lbs in 19 yrs. This time it is DEFO harder to lose & this dang plateau--UGH! it's for the friggin birds!!!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post

Beverly, I remember that we were both raising toward onederland at the same time last time around. While I'm not happy to see any of us struggling, it's nice to see familiar faces on the relosing journey.

You make a good point about shifting our mindset from 'diet' to 'lifelong commitment'. When I got down to 150 I started *looking* normal to myself in the mirror for the first time, and thinking of myself as 'normal' gave me permission to get more and more lax about my diet until finally I had to face up to a major regain.
Hi Thistoo... I remember when we were holding hands and jumping into Onederland, yes. I got down to 195 and then back to 232 (or so) - so I am losing again. You know... we did this once - we CAN do it again.

I think we MUST make life long changes in how we 'live' with food. Food sanity is what I am striving for.
Closed Thread