Old 01-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #1  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Default clothing shopping

I generally face away from the mirror when I'm undressing/dressing, then turn around to "surprise" myself in the potential purchases. I even in my mind "say" SURPRISE.

I didn't like the fit of much, and at 170 lbs with D boobs everything I tried was size large, compared to the XLs and XXLs I was wearing prior. I definitely know how to work with my shape -- nothing tied or cinched directly under the boobs (looks like maternity clothes), nothing boxy, love a "V" neck and long tunic length.

I would really like something shear with a camisole beneath, but nothing looked right. I tried crochet and knit items also with a camisole or plain long sleeved T underneath, and didn't like them either. I also tried lift/minimize bras cuz what I'm wearing isn't doing the lifting...and without I'm looking a bit national geographic .

I realize that no matter what size I am, I probably won't be able to escape my shape. I've had big boobs since I'm 13, and never a flat belly. Even at 106 graduating h.s., I had big boobs and was round and curvy. I guess back then I was what people call "thin fat."

I will have to work on body acceptance b/c I doubt much is going to change, no matter what I weigh. Maybe I will seriously look into some body shape wear in the future!
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #2  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

If you're not getting enough lift you're probably in the wrong bra size. A D cup really isn't that big so the way you describe your problem I'm guessing you probably need a lot smaller band size (a too large band is going to give you pretty much zero support... 90% of the support for a bra should come from the band) and a much larger cup size.

What is your underbust measurement (measured tightly!!!) and what is your bust measurement? (see here on various ways to take your bust measurement and how to figure out your size).

FWIW, we're the same height and close to the same weight and I wear a 30H so I can certainly relate to the frustration when it comes to clothes!!! That being said I've had a lot of success looking into curve friends clothes. Here's a list of resources and curvy clothes. So far I've tried AJ Rumina for shirts and I'm hoping to try BiuBiu soon (probably the one with hands down the best reviews). In both places you can order shirts/dress by your bust size. Also check out Bravissimo/Pepperberry.

If you're looking for bras with amazing uplift check out Ewa Michalak. The bras are very reasonably priced and the shape they give is astounding. You can see from the models that they provide amazing uplift for even the bustiest of women (although they also carry small cup sizes too if others are interested). Definitely worth it (seriously, I can't rave about them enough!!!).

ETA: check out the blog Thin And Curvy too.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 01-21-2012 at 03:03 PM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:28 PM   #3  
pursuer of joy

running....the 40D (American size) minimizer I tried on was so tight on the first hook I thought I could barely twist it from round front to back!

I'm wearing a 42 D right now, on the third hook, the cups are loose, and if I tighten up the shoulder straps it pulls the center back up towards my shoulders causing the front/cups to droop even worse!

It definitely is about finding the right brand and size. My boobs seem to be.....long. They aren't full, they are saggy and it sucks.

There is a bra that I like, a brand call Fully, but I have to get them through the mail and I'm not sure what size I'd be in that brand at the moment...so probably I will hold off on it. If I had money and courage, I'd get them lifted (along with a tummy tuck altho my tummy isn't really loose, just sorta extended for lack of a better word).

Thanks for the reply and the sites for clothing. I will definitely check them all out!!!

Oh, and you are a size 30H--is 30 a typo? There is absolutely no way I could get a 30 around my boobs. Maybe a 38 in the right fitting bra. AND, OMG, they are so darned expensive. For a little bit of material and some well-thought construction, we ladies pay an arm and a leg for support!

Ya know, writing/reading this---my figure is just sooooo unsexy!

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 01-21-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: added text
Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #4  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
running....the 40D (American size) minimizer I tried on was so tight on the first hook I thought I could barely twist it from round front to back!

I'm wearing a 42 D right now, on the third hook, the cups are loose, and if I tighten up the shoulder straps it pulls the center back up towards my shoulders causing the front/cups to droop even worse!

It definitely is about finding the right brand and size. My boobs seem to be.....long. They aren't full, they are saggy and it sucks.

There is a bra that I like, a brand call Fully, but I have to get them through the mail and I'm not sure what size I'd be in that brand at the moment...so probably I will hold off on it. If I had money and courage, I'd get them lifted (along with a tummy tuck altho my tummy isn't really loose, just sorta extended for lack of a better word).

Thanks for the reply and the sites for clothing. I will definitely check them all out!!!

Oh, and you are a size 30H--is 30 a typo? There is absolutely no way I could get a 30 around my boobs. Maybe a 38 in the right fitting bra. AND, OMG, they are so darned expensive. For a little bit of material and some well-thought construction, we ladies pay an arm and a leg for support!

Ya know, writing/reading this---my figure is just sooooo unsexy!
Of course the 40D is too tight!!! It's because the cup size is too small on you. IF you're wearing a cup size WAy too small the band is going to feel to small too.

Measure your underbust and over your bust (see the link I gave you in the past post) and I can help you find your correct size (or at least a good starting point). There's no typo on 30H either. In this post I'm right around 170lbs if you want to compare sizes. My underbust measures right at 30" if you pull it tightly and my bust measurement is about 40" (sometimes up to 41" depending on the bra itself).

Also, check out this link to see the difference in what a supportive bra will do for you.

BTW, DON'T say that about your figure. I went through some major body image issues through weight loss and I've learned through getting better bras and learning to dress myself better how to accept my body.

ETA: Also, I can help with finding cheap bras in the correct size but let's talk about getting the correct size first.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 01-21-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:42 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

oh gosh, DON'T let the cup sizes scare you! I think I'm slowly migrating into a 30E/F (currently a 32DD, but my underbust is shrinking but the boobs aren't) and my breasts are NOT large at all! The label doesn't matter—the fit does. The right fit does wonders for your breasts and helps with the saggy boob weight loss syndrome

People always look at me funny when I say I wear a 32DD. The problem is that so many women are squishing themselves into DDs that we equate that cup size with large breasts when in reality it isn't all that large (well depending on the underbust size I suppose). My friend argued with me because she's a DD and is quite large-busted. I would bet a lot of money that she's really wearing the wrong bra size.

If you're looking for camis that don't interfere with your shirts, I have these wonderful faux camis that clip onto my bra. They're literally just a piece of fabric that I can clip onto my bra and it doesn't add any bulk and can give me a bit of cover when I have a top too low for my tastes I'll have to check and see where you can find them. My grandmother gave them to me a while back.

There are also these demi camis which literally just go over your bra. I never tried them, but I do want to order some.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #6  
pursuer of joy

running, I am beginning to get it and think your advice to me may be priceless This week, I will do the measuring - please forgive me b/c I'm lazy first and foremost, and have to drink this all in and get to it. It will also allow me some time to read all the rest of the links and let it sink in. However, if I understand you correctly, it may be that my cup size should be bigger and my band size smaller--and I will write down the stats and do the math and enlist your help, definitely.

The odd thing on the minimizer I tried yesterday is that it was underwire, which I haven't worn for years and also the cups were constructed closely together so the boobs were smashed very much toward the front and didn't account for any part of the boobs migrating from the underarm area. My boobs seem to start a bit at the underarm, so the fit was weird indeed! I've definitely had better fitting bras than the contraption I tried yesterday.

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 01-22-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #7  
June

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
running, I am beginning to get it and think your advice to me may be priceless This week, I will do the measuring - please forgive me b/c I'm lazy first and foremost, and have to drink this all in and get to it. It will also allow me some time to read all the rest of the links and let it sink in. However, if I understand you correctly, it may be that my cup size should be bigger and my band size smaller--and I will write down the stats and do the math and enlist your help, definitely.

The odd thing on the minimizer I tried yesterday is that it was underwire, which I haven't worn for years and also the cups were constructed closely together so the boobs were smashed very much toward the front and didn't account for any part of the boobs migrating from the underarm area. My boobs seem to start a bit at the underarm, so the fit was weird indeed! I've definitely had better fitting bras than the contraption I tried yesterday.
I really hope you're able to figure out your size and definitely let me know if you have any questions!

Yes, so I'm guessing you're going to have to go down some band sizes (maybe quite a few actually!!!) Since we're similar heights/weights I'd guess at most you'd need a 34 band (possibly a 36 if you have a really, really, wide ribcage) but any more than that would be pretty shocking. Right now my ribcage measures at 29" but I do think I'm at the lower end for our height/weight.

If you want to look at bras with wider bands check out Panache and Curvy Kate. Now those brands tend to be made a bit flatter too (so if you have wider, flatter breasts) whereas bras like Freya, Fantasie, Ewa Michalak work better on narrow, longer breasts. However, since I think your bra size is way off the cups are way too small no matter what and so it's probably hard to say at this point how wide/narrow you're going to need the cups. Also, when trying on bras, make sure you bend over and scoop all of your breast tissue into the cups (if the cups are too small you'll see a lovely quadraboob effect). Otherwise you might not notice that the cups are too small until after buying the bra.

Another thing.. minimizers are in general a bad ideal. They squish your boobs in all funny sort of places. Nothing is better than a well-fitting bra.