Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 AM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Smile #273 Bale of Turtles Actually Doing This!!!!!

We are the Turtle Group here at www.3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration, we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on by using the skills and techniques we have learned from experience to keep us on track. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy
Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)
Itryharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #2  
Chick

Hi Gals,
There are so many inspirational posts in #272 and I thought about not starting a new thread, but we had gotten very long. I, for one, am going back to read the latest posts to absorb some of that support and goodness.

About me: I have been yo-yo=ing for a few months now. When I started JC, I was beside myself and was able to lose the top 15# that really bothered me. Now somehow I lost my mojo and have decided to switch back to WW to try something new to continue my weight loss. (Now that my hives are gone I find I can lose weight again. I had simply started adding in foods that were too high in calories........and guess what?......that doesn't work.)

Looking forward to lots more good posts. We can do this!
Love,
Judy
234.6/?/179 by end of January Goal in 2012!!!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #3  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Taylorsjourney~ Haha, I like that, picturing fat oozing all over the food. Awesome job with the new DVD!!! How did Zumba go?

bandit2~ I know what you mean about strange weather! We normally have at least 2 feet of snow at this time of year, and I might have an inch at my house!

terrod99~ Yay for feeling less bloated and having a workout buddy!!!

CherryAutumn~ I haven't heard of any games in particular, but I have been to Zumba classes before and they are a lot of fun! I bet some of the games are entertaining as well!

loose seal~ You must be excited to have the garage done! I love the feeling of clothes starting to get loose!

Itryharder~ We posted about the same time! I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time, but you will prevail and push through this!

So I ended up having some side effects on Sunday night and ended up having some massive menstrual bleeding (sorry if TMI, it's been like this since the cancer). It's very hard to control, so I ended up leaving early, rather then risk bleeding through my clothes. In a way it was a good thing, as I was definitely eying the mozzarella sticks... but I left before I got too tempted to order them! I made a sweet Italian turkey sausage stir fry early Sunday afternoon and put it on a bed of brown rice pilaf. I ended up having that for dinner and lunch yesterday, and was pretty impressed! I only used 1 tbsp. of olive oil to saute a bunch of onions, peppers and pea pods, and then added 2 tbsp. of soy sauce and a teaspoon of Garlic seasoning. I ended up splitting it into three servings, so I still have one left. I didn't want to get to the point where I was sick of it though, so I brought something else for lunch today and plan on having that tomorrow.
I have to travel with the boys bball team tonight, so I will be faced with McDonald's once again. Unfortunately I know the area around this McDonald's and I will be unable to substitute Subway, and I have yet to find something that will survive 14 hours without the need of a microwave that I can take with me for the games. I'm not a big fan of sandwiches, which is why Subway was a whim and tends to be very rare. The other problem is how cold the bus is, eating cold food on top of it will give me the chills. Anyways, I need to learn how to be able to eat at places like this. I did bring celery and carrots to munch on though, and have downloaded that nutrition facts for McDonald's on to my iPhone so I can pick from there. I'm hoping that this McDonald's offers the southwest salad, as that is pretty good!
Have a good day everyone!!!

Last edited by KimL1214; 01-10-2012 at 10:33 AM.
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles:

Judy - As you know, I also rejoined ww after being away for quite awhile.
I think every now & then we just have to change things up & I figured
new year, new start, new plan couldn't hurt. I am in the mood for some
crockpot recipes that are point friendly.

Kim - eating out is always a challenge. How about a thermos filled with some good soup or chili. I used to enjoy a Wendys garden salad with small chili poured over the top - very good.

So I have been reading lots about new ww & doing good. I still can't wrap my head around zero foods of any kind so have not been overdoing it there.
Have stayed away from the office goodies so feel great about that.

All - hope everyone has a great week at the scale.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #5  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

bandit -- whenever I eat at Wendys (like, seriously, once every 3 years or something) I always get the salad and use the chilli as the dressing too!

Kim -- I hope the bleeding has subsided by now. My TOM has gotten weird as I've gotten older and well . . yeah, sometimes I can't even leave the house it gets so bad. Do men know how easy they have it? lol Am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Itry -- I was on WW twice; once when I was 15 (I was mortified) and again about 15 years ago. Now I'm counting calories on my own . . . which is how I always viewed WW except that they counted the calories for you and condensed them into a much easier and more user-friendly form (points). For me, it works. I can control the calories that I fuel my body with and it helps me to keep paying attention. When I stop paying attention is when the clothes get tight.

Garage is uber wonderful . . . I can actually find things now, washed all the rags that had been sitting dirty (because I had no place to put them when clean) and they all fit in the smaller storage cabinet, and have utilized the big storage cabinet I bought for extra food. I started couponing smartly over the summer (thx Extreme Couponing) and ran out of room for stuff. Now it all has its own little home. Sweet. Took a storage unit that had been holding discarded toys and repurposed it to hold shoes that used to be discarded all over the house and now go in their new home in the garage. No more shoes in the house, no more me tripping over them!

Let's all keep plugging away like that little turtle and we will reach our goal!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baby-Turtle.jpg (51.9 KB, 0 views)
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/197/160

Height: 5.2.5

Happy Hump Day!

Week is going fast, Y x 2 for me so far t his week!!!! 1 hour od cardio each time.

Bandit/Kim The weather is the water cooler gossip here it is so strange, we have no snow only a trace here and there.

Judy/Bandit Did the WW program change there was talk in the fall of the points changing? I need some shaking up the old WW just wasn't working I loose 10 lbs and then thats it!!

loose seal I have been doing cleaning and purging getting rid of stuff! Feels good the computer area had been soo bad now it is tidy!!

Have a great day gals Friday is in sight!!! Keep at it!

Terri
terrod99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #7  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
I am so impressed with you all decluttering and organizing and cleaning up.
Weigh to go.......spelled that way because I think all that movement counts as exercise.

I feel good this morning. Making a decision to change up my program again is a good one. I promised myself that if my weight loss stalled, I would do something else and that's what I'm doing. JC helped me to see how small my portions should be to lose weight. Invaluable info.

Can't comment on individuals now, but you're doing great. Have a wonderful OP day and let's kick this new year off right.
Judy
234.6/?/179 and thinner
Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #8  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

Itryharder~ A big reason why I am using Lean Cuisine's and Progresso Light Soups is so I can learn what my portion sizes really should be, so it's good to hear that JC was effective in doing so, as it means I might really be learning something!

terrod99~ Awesome job at the Y!!! We have a "big" storm coming tomorrow night, so we'll see if things are going to start to change or not...

loose seal~ Getting shoes out of the house was one of the best things I did a few weeks ago! I used to trip over them all the time, and they're all kept in the closet on my new porch (although the porch still needs to be finished, I can now keep some stuff out there).

bandit2~ I need to sit down and just read through all the new WW stuff. I think we only have one more bball trip where McDonald's will be involved, so if I can get through that one, then I will be good until baseball season! Hopefully by baseball I will have such a good routine going that I won't be as tempted while I'm there.

I'm struggling today. I'm not sure what's going on, but I everything I see, I want. I think I'm starting to feel a little deprived and need to figure out a way I can satisfy some of my cravings while making sure that I don't go overboard (which is a huge problem for me). I really want pizza. I was thinking about hitting the grocery store and getting ingredients to make my own pizza and salad tonight. Maybe I'll go shop the Lean Cuisine Pizza section and see what they got for me. I know I can do this, I just need to get my goals and reasons for wanting to lose weight right in front of me to help get over this! I want to wear tall boots next winter! I can't do that if my calves are huge and I gorge myself on food!
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #9  

Kim - something to satisfy pizza craving is pita pizzas.
Use a pita instead of dough and put whatever you like on top & bake.
These are really good!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #10  
Chick

Terri, the WW program changed to Points Plus. WW evaluated what people were doing, realized they were eating too many carbs and snacks for good weight loss (at least in my mind this is what they did ) and recalculated foods giving higher points to those foods with sugar and fat, and lower points plus for lean protein and fiber. For example, on old WW a vita-top was one point. the new count for the same item is 3 points plus. Many snacks went up in points plus. WW did increase the number of points plus most members could have and they have just adjusted here in the USA again and dropped the points plus. This sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. Another thing: all fresh, raw fruit came in at zero points plus as long as you were hungry, not just noshing. This reads as clear as mud.
I'm trying WW today and yesterday and feel good. I'm tracking on my e-tools and I'm within my points plus for today.

I need to boost my exercise, but I hope my Friday WI for our Valentine's Challenge will be a good WI.

Lots of luck to us all. We are doing this!
Judy
234.6/?/179 and thinner
Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #11  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Have a great day. This is my second day on WW's and I'm doing well. I tracked on the e-tools and the food was good. I need to make sure I don't eat the cashews my husband needs to keep in the house, or the pretzels for that matter. Planning to eat 3 meals, 3 snacks and follow the JC outline while using my own food. Portion control is key for me since I like to cook.

Hey,
Here's a recipe for a vegetable barley casserole I made yesterday and thought was great. It's on WW's site. I changed it a bit and I'll give you my changes.

Serves 6 4 points plus/serving

2t. canola oil
1 small uncooked onion, chopped
1 small can chopped mushrooms, drained
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 c. frozen corn kernals, thawed and drained
3 c. frozen spinach, thawed
15 oz. crushed tomatoes
2 c. cooked barley
1/4t.cumin
1/4t.oregano
1/2 t. salt
1/4t. black pepper
2 sprays Pam
1/2c. low-fat shredded cheddar cheese (as sharp as you can buy)

Preheat oven to 350.
Heat oil in large skillet over med. heat. Add onion, garlic, corn and spinach. Cook stirryin frequently until onion is translucent---about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, barley, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Heat through.

Coat a 2 1/2-3quart bading dish with Pam. Spoon mix into dish in an even layer. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese melts and mixture is hot, about 25-30 minutes.
Let stand for 5 minutes to set up. Slice into six pieces. Yields 1/per serving for 4 points plus each.

WW suggests adding canned black beans to make the dish heartier and that would increase the points plus value per serving.

Hope you like it. I had a stuffed pepper with it and was nice and full.
Here's for a great day.

Judy
234.6/185/179 and thinner Goal met in 2012!!!!! I'm doing this
My goal is 145. My personal goal would be 135, but we'll see how I do.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 203/197/160

Height: 5.2.5

TGIF Turtles!!!! Its been a long week!!!!

Kim/Judy I have a huge problem with portion sizes, I know some people use a med size plate, not sure it would stop me from getting more!!! I need self control!! I love to cook and have a thin husband, he gained 5 lbs on vacation but it is gone already. Will check out the WW online stuff I really need some accountability to someone! Someone weighing me WW would be good for this.
Bandit hope you are having a great week, winter has finally arrived!!! I hate it!!! but will suffer through spring is in sight!!

You other gals check in when you can, just keep at it!!!
Remember this is our year we are doing this!!

Terri
terrod99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #13  
Chick

Terri, I bet you're a good cook. Portion size is so tough when the food is good and you just want more. These ideas I have, I bet you've tried, but just in case you haven't:
1. sip a cup of boullion right before dinner
2. have a salad cover 1/2 your plate
3. leave the cooked food in the pots and eat in another room
4. tell yourself, "this is the amount of food I need to keep me healthy."
(lol, that's my positive way of saying no more seconds!!)
5. if your dh is still munching away and your food is gone, would a cup of tea or coffee or even a piece of fruit satisfy you while you keep him company?
6. My JC counselor suggested I portion out my home cooked food into a saved plastic microwave dish from a JC dinner to remind myself just how small an amt. of food I should be eating. So, you could buy a lean cuisine or ww dinner, eat it, wash out the container and keep it in your cupboard. I was really surprised at how little I needed to eat to lose weight. But it did work. Also, eating something every 2-3 hours made me less starving at dinner time and that helped too.

Whew!!!!! These are some ideas. Turtles, what else do you do to keep portions under control? Hey, I'm going to work on following some of my own advice. Lol.

Yesterday was another good day. Have to still fit in. It's not a habit with me. ONce the weather got cold we gave up our boardwalk walks and now I'm doing nothing again.

WI this morning over at our other thread
Valentine's Day Challenge. See you all there!!!!!
Judy
234.6/?have to weigh myself/179 and thinner
Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #14  

Morning turtles:

Snowey day up here but just what they said, so no surprises. Its Canada, its winter - its going to snow.

Was down 1# last night at my Tops weigh in so going in right direction.

As far as portion sizes, I weigh & measure things. Also for my evening meal I feel I need seconds, and my rule is my seconds are veggies only and that seems to work for me. I think it is the idea of going back & getting more no matter what it is. Anyway, just a thought.

Making beef stew today, staying in and looking through my recipes.
Bought a butternut squash to make a soup this Sunday to have with my lunches during the week. Works out to 2 pp per cup.

Have a nice Friday!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #15  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

Taking the pupperonies out for a walk soon. It's freakin' cold and winnndyy out there . . . blech, I hate walking in this weather. But they didn't get to go on a walk yesterday, too much rain. Guess I just gotta get up offa this here sofa and just do it, huh? Oh, the pain!

Have been OP all week, got all my exercise in and am enjoying the silence in the house. It's short lived so I'm soaking it up! Have a great weekend all and remember to stay OP. Eat protein and good carbs to stave off the hungries between meals.
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote