Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:19 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5''

Default Going to get snowed in...very tempted to binge.

Is anyone on here living in the Pacific Northwest region right now? We have a huge snowstorm coming and I have a feeling that I'll be stuck in my apartment for a couple of days. I can sense a binge coming. I don't know if it's due to childhood memories or what not, but whenever we would get snowed it, there would be a lot of comfort food and TV shows to watch. It was fun and relaxing...and bad for my waist line of course!

The snow hasn't started here yet...it hits the Portland area first and then will be coming over to the Seattle/Tacoma area. I'm very tempted to call Dominos and order a couple of thin-crust cheese pizzas. I have several DVDs laying around at home.

How do I re-program my brain into thinking snow does not mean cozy days/nights being stuck at home eating and watching TV? Especially when it's such a fun thing to do for me.
FreeBird3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #2  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I live in eastern Washington and I think it is supposed to hit us tomorrow.

Perhaps you could channel all of those cozy treat urges into something more healthful. You could spend the time in the kitchen cooking something stewed and warm and flavorful and packed with veggies--a meal that will feel rich and comforting and treat-like without being unhealthy or calorific. I love braises of all kinds and I love to make a winter veg chicken pot pie on cold nights. I put a little crust on the top only and pack the thing with veggies. It's delicious without being fattening.

Or you could think about de-cluttering your closets, or something...
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Where I live, we are not only snowed in, we hit -42 (Celsius which is -43 F). Now that is COLD. The roads are pure ice, and within 5 minutes you feel like your about to lose your nose! With that being said, if anyone near where I lived was to view snow days/bad weather with comfort food and sitting infront of the tv, everyone would be over 400 pounds since this bad weather lasts 6 months (usually not this cold tho).

I would use this time to experiment with healthy food in the kitchen. Try different HEALTHY recipes, bake some yummy muffins, try that new chicken recipe you saw online. Your kitchen will be nice and warm which will help with the "comfort" feeling when the weather is cold
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

DietVet is right on! I love having a pot of soup or stew simmering on the stove, and curling up with a mug of it while watching movies. It's comforting and can be extremely healthy.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
I live in eastern Washington and I think it is supposed to hit us tomorrow.

Perhaps you could channel all of those cozy treat urges into something more healthful. You could spend the time in the kitchen cooking something stewed and warm and flavorful and packed with veggies--a meal that will feel rich and comforting and treat-like without being unhealthy or calorific. I love braises of all kinds and I love to make a winter veg chicken pot pie on cold nights. I put a little crust on the top only and pack the thing with veggies. It's delicious without being fattening.

Or you could think about de-cluttering your closets, or something...
This is what we would do in my family every time we were snowed in (just any kind of soup or stew actually) It's a very nice way to relax and enjoy something nutritious and warm while you watch the snow come down.

I would love to be snowed in for a couple of days actually, just to have that. But I work in the NYC school system, they never close, haha.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote