Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/333/225

Height: 5'9"

Arrow Horse Lovers Unite

I am new to IP, it's my second week. I'm doing this for so many reasons, my new son, my husband, me, but one of the main reasons is my passion or horseback riding. I grew up showing, sold my horses when I went off to college, life happened and now its been 15 years and I'm ready to get back into it and so excited...the only problem is I can't possibly ask a poor horse to lug me around right now! So, my first personal goal is that I have to be able to mount from the ground to be able to ride...I have done this before at about 230 and didn't feel so guilty for the horse. I would love to connect with other equestrians on this journey I have seen a few on here, specifically even from the Pacific Northwest!
ShanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I just had a conversation with my husband a couple of weeks ago about getting back into riding. Though I only took lessons for a brief period in my life, I enjoyed every minute of it! I wish you the best in your move forward in achieving your goal.
seaurchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #3  
Restart IP 10/19/2013

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanCo View Post
...So, my first personal goal is that I have to be able to mount from the ground to be able to ride...I have done this before at about 230 and didn't feel so guilty for the horse. I would love to connect with other equestrians on this journey I have seen a few on here, specifically even from the Pacific Northwest!
ShanCo, we have the same goal, to mount from the ground. But, I ride now and even rode even when I was 268 lbs. I mostly walked and trotted on easy trail rides. At the very least, get back involved with ground training a horse. So much to do with horses even if you're not riding. My physical goal is to mount from the ground (I will have to be at least 50 lbs lighter to do that I think) and to begin riding cross country and jumping again. I'm going to take lessons in the spring! Also, going to play tennis again. I'm so ready for the new, lighter body I can barely stand it!!! I may have to go saddle my horse to see how close I come to mounting from the ground. He may not stand still for it since he's only known me to use a step!

Good to meet you!
sekc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #4  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

I've owned horses most of my life. Is there a reputable rescue near you that you can volunteer? What area of Washington are you in? I have some horse friends in the state. They may be able to point you in the right direction if you are interested and in the right area. The way the horse market is right now, you might find your next show horse at one of those rescues. Sad situation really.

I don't have horses right now, but my neighbors do. I can still get my horse fix by walking over to the fence line and calling for them. They love to visit me and get their scritches.
Paint Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #5  

So glad to meet other equestrians! Paint - my husband and I actually fulfilled my dream last year, we bought a house on 5 acres and have a 4 stall barn. Currently we are boarding 3 horses so I get my horse fix that way...just keeping an open stall for my horse when I get him...good motivation!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/170

Love this!
I have two appaloosa geldings. I feel that I am too heavy to ride and my goal is to get to 200 before I ride. I have been training one of them all summer and he is ready to try out a rider in the saddle. Poor hubby has that fun job for now.
I never had horses, me being a former city gal, until we bought 15 acres out in the sticks and built a home. My first horse was a very tall leopard appaloosa, very well broke, whom I taught myself to ride on. She ended up with some leg problems that I didnt have enough experience to take care of and I gave her away.
Then times turned tough for many and I was given the two geldings who I have now, they are uncle and nephew. The uncle, buddy, is green broke and we just managed to get him to walk in a straight line this summer. I've been working with the nephew, cowboy, on the ground work. He is fine with a saddle but as soon as you get an adult in it and no one on the lead line he takes off and bucks. Thinking of trying sand bags and slowly adding more weight and see how that goes. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

I, too, am a rider and I know that my horse is going to appreciate my weight loss as much I will! At 5'2" it is a stretch for me to mount my 15.3 horse, and while I can do it right now I can't wait to see how much easier it will be when I am hoisting 80 fewer pounds up there with me! That's my boy, Nemo, he is a TN Walking Horse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nemo.jpg (42.1 KB, 8 views)
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #8  
Restart IP 10/19/2013

S/C/G: 195/ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMolly View Post
I, too, am a rider and I know that my horse is going to appreciate my weight loss as much I will! At 5'2" it is a stretch for me to mount my 15.3 horse, and while I can do it right now I can't wait to see how much easier it will be when I am hoisting 80 fewer pounds up there with me! That's my boy, Nemo, he is a TN Walking Horse.
He's gorgeous!! What a great horse! I'm so impressed that you can mount from the ground. He's the same height as my horse and we're about the same weight but, I can't do it. I'm going to try again this weekend.
sekc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #9  

Height: 6'0

Hello fellow horse lovers!!!
I too have had horses all my life, right now I have two old quarter horses (chubby 32, Tina 27) and I have a mare snazzy(9 yrs) with arthritis in the knees but I hope to breed her soon, she is a shining spark, peppy San bred mare, I would love a baby out of her--the only horse I can ride is my 16 year old quarter gelding, Gunner, he is a burned out NRHA reining horse, but he is an awesom ranch horse. I use to show too, many years ago. I did a lot of horse packing, but now I am content chasing cows on my brothers ranch.

I want to lose this weight in part because I can barely get on a horse anymore. Poor gunner! Boy he is gonna love it next summer! When I am thin again.

Let's all lighten up so our faithful steeds will be more comfortable!,

Cheers

Lmflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekc14 View Post
He's gorgeous!! What a great horse! I'm so impressed that you can mount from the ground. He's the same height as my horse and we're about the same weight but, I can't do it. I'm going to try again this weekend.
Hi Sekc and thanks. I have to admit somtimes I have my husband hold the stirrup on the opposite side to keep from rolling my saddle or pulling my horse off balance. I've always had horses that were quite tall so I'm sure that has helped me to be able to continue to mount from the ground. Good luck to you, I know you can do it! I can't tell from the picture, is your horse a roan or a palomino? Or neither, LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmflora View Post
Hello fellow horse lovers!!!
I too have had horses all my life, right now I have two old quarter horses (chubby 32, Tina 27) and I have a mare snazzy(9 yrs) with arthritis in the knees but I hope to breed her soon, she is a shining spark, peppy San bred mare, I would love a baby out of her--the only horse I can ride is my 16 year old quarter gelding, Gunner, he is a burned out NRHA reining horse, but he is an awesom ranch horse. I use to show too, many years ago. I did a lot of horse packing, but now I am content chasing cows on my brothers ranch.

I want to lose this weight in part because I can barely get on a horse anymore. Poor gunner! Boy he is gonna love it next summer! When I am thin again.

Let's all lighten up so our faithful steeds will be more comfortable!,

Cheers

WOW 32 years old, that is something! Do you ever miss showing? We used to show but are now content trail riding. Every once in awhile I get the "show bug" but then remember just how subjective showing/judging walking horses is and I am happy on the trail.

Happy Trails to you both!
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #11  

Height: 6'0

No, I don't really miss showing. However a few years ago I entered a ladies ranch horse competition and had a blast. I don't have time, maybe in a couple of years things may lighten up. Where I live there is not many options for us mature women to show. Mostly oriented toward youth. We do have a growing cutting community, but I don't have a horse, and cannot afford to buy a cutting horse. Thus I would like to raise one and hopefully be able to work cows.

My old horse is quite dear to me, I have had him for 30 of those years. Longer then my husband...it will shake me to the core when his time comes.

Cheers

Lmflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #12  

Wow! So fun to enjoy horse talk with everyone! I miss showing so much, my hope is that I can start again once I can get myself zipped into a pair of equitation chaps...LOL!

MustangMolly, gorgeous boy!

LmFlora...ShiningSpark AND Peppy San Badger...definitely worth breeding, I'd love to see that baby!

I'm on the lookout right now for my new horse, winter is the time to get a deal, but I have a test rider to take with me right now
Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #13  

Quote:
Wow! So fun to enjoy horse talk with everyone! I miss showing so much, my hope is that I can start again once I can get myself zipped into a pair of equitation chaps...LOL!

MustangMolly, gorgeous boy!

LmFlora...ShiningSpark AND Peppy San Badger...definitely worth breeding, I'd love to see that baby!

I'm on the lookout right now for my new horse, winter is the time to get a deal, but I have a test rider to take with me right now
Thanks Shan, what kind of horses do you ride? I am so glad you started this thread, I too enjoy talking with other horse lovers.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #14  

Molly - I started on Arabians when I was a kid and realized quickly that I don't move as fast sideways as they do...LOL! Then moved to Appaloosa's, my favorite boy was a quarter horse bred Appy, he is the one that I will never forget and compare every other horse to! I am on a search to find his long-lost twin! How about you?
Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #15  

Quote:
Molly - I started on Arabians when I was a kid and realized quickly that I don't move as fast sideways as they do...LOL! Then moved to Appaloosa's, my favorite boy was a quarter horse bred Appy, he is the one that I will never forget and compare every other horse to! I am on a search to find his long-lost twin! How about you?
I have a TN Walking Horse. As a kid I didn't know there was anything but quarter horses, now I have a TN Walking horse. I really love the smooth ride and the sensation of going fast without moving up and down in the saddle. MY hubby rides a racking horse and he can really move on..about 25 MPH and still be in that smooth 4-beat gait.