Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/170

Height: 5'11"

Default kale recipes?

Does anyone have a great kale recipe? I've never used it before!
FatToFitWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/183/150

Height: 5' 6"

I use it in a soup.

After washing the kale, and tearing the leaves off the stem (and discarding the stems), I cut up (or chop) the kale into smaller pieces/strips, and throw into my pot of soup and let it boil until it's as tender as it gets (it always remains somewhat chewy). I throw all kinds of other things into the soup, too. I've had it in restaurants sauteed and served as a side, but it was rarely cooked enough for me that way.
Salley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I like to saute some bacon and onion in a deep skillet, letting the bacon fat render out. It's also nice to use some good quality Italian hard salami, chopped. Then I toss in the washed and torn kale and then pour in about a cup or two of chicken or vegetable broth and put the lid on it. I turn the stove down to a simmer and let the kale cook down.

Sometimes I make the same dish for breakfast and I drop an egg in the pot when the kale is just about done, letting the egg poach in the liquid left in the pot. Yummy breakfast!
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:12 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/160/145

Height: 5'1"

Slice up the kale, spray it with olive oil, and add whatever kind of seasoning you add to potato chips (salt and pepper, sprinkling of cheese, powdered seasoning, etc). Bake in oven until crispy but not burnt!
doopdoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:07 AM   #5  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

I found a kale "lasagne" in a French cookbook. No wheat and very low-calorie compared to traditional lasagne. The idea is to use kale leaves instead of lasagne and prepare the rest of the dish at large the same way. I used cream Just boil the leaves in salty water for about 4min, then cool them in cold water and dry with kitchen paper. Use in lasagne between layers. Cook in oven at 150°C for about an hour, then add sauce and cook another 15min.
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/214/150

Height: 5'5"

Oh man I love kale!

My favorite is to saute a whole bunch of fresh garlic in a little oil and then add the kale, salt & pepper (or sometimes lemon pepper seasoning blend) and a little water. I cover it and cook for a couple of minutes stirring every once in a while until it gets very dark green and starts to soften up. Delicious!

I also use it in place of lettuce, I don't even buy lettuce anymore, kale goes on my sandwiches and in my salads

It also replaces spinach in any recipe that calls for spinach.
Evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #7  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I second the kale chips, they are not the cutest but DELICIOUS and you wouldnt know you are eating kale!

Also, I'm curious about the lasagna with kale.. I shall do some googling! I've used zucchini in place of noodles, but... kale! Ooo. That totally interests me. Thanks!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

Great in soups, pasta dishes, etc. One of my favorite combos is turkey sausage, kale, maybe like one other veggie and some garlic & onion tossed in whole wheat pasta with a bit of parmesan cheese.
I also like to saute kale and throw it in with some couscous and chickpeas for a quick lunch.
Sometimes I will just saute a bunch of kale and cook a piece of meat and that's dinner! I have recently started using coconut oil sometimes for cooking, and kale takes really kindly to the mild coconutty flavor. YUMMM!
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #9  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I like to use kale when I'm making beans & greens in the crock pot - it stands up to 11 hours of cooking on low!

I'm in LOOOVE with kale chips - made a batch this week, and ate them all in 3 sittings! I used blood orange olive oil, black pepper, smoked salt & garlic powder - 300 degrees for 30 minutes.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #10  

I just discovered Kale and have been enjoying it for about a week now. Made my first smoothie with it, love the favor.

I will try the baked chips and the lasagne for sure. Thanks for the ideas.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #11  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Sometimes I chop it up and saute it with half a jar of salsa. I love it that way with eggs. I'm planning to cook up a bunch this morning.

We eat lots and lots of kale here - sauteed with garlic, red pepper flakes and EVOO, raw in salads, chopped in stews.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 172/172/152

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Sometimes I chop it up and saute it with half a jar of salsa. I love it that way with eggs. I'm planning to cook up a bunch this morning.

We eat lots and lots of kale here - sauteed with garlic, red pepper flakes and EVOO, raw in salads, chopped in stews.
love the breakfast kale idea!!
wickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #13  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I just boil it and have it as a green vegetable with meat/fish, potatoes and carrots. Or as a green with almost anything we're eating for a main meal. We eat a lot of veg but I'm very firm that we have to have a green every night.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 183/maintaining 135ish

Height: 5'6"

OK, this is going to sound really dumb, but where are y'all shopping in the US that you see kale? It is mentioned all the time on the my cooking websites, so I've kind of been aware of it, but never once have I seen it in our supermarkets, and for sure never seen it in the occasional farmer's markets that I've been to. And I haven't seen seed packets for it either (although chard seed shows up now in the fancier nurseries). Is it still too trendy for suburban Minnesota? Is it seasonal? Cold weather or warm weather? Do you usually see it loose or in plastic packaging?
bronzeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

Bronzeager, it is generally loose, with the other greens like chard, endive, etc. Sometimes stores are bad with the labelling, so look for a tough curly green bunch.

If none of your nearby stores carry it, ask the produce manager. They can and do respond to customer requests.

It isn't trendy, exactly, although it is getty more attention than before. It is planted very early in the spring, and seems to be available most of the year where I live (Philadelphia.)
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote