Old 01-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Day 6 and struggling

Today has been rough. Ate a protein bar for breakfast, but it didn't really fill me up. Made a menu plan for next week and went shopping w/the kids, but forgot to bring my water. I got so hungry and TIRED.

Well, we're home now, and I had some coleslaw for my veggies and tried this pudding (which I ordered a pack of 15):
http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_dr018.htm

I can't believe I paid $25 for something I have to choke down. Last night, I tried it w/chai spices and extra water to make a shake and it was horrible. Today I tried it plain w/regular amount of water and it was horrible. I'm hoping my husband can stomach it, because that's a lot of money to spend on something I don't like!

Also, I'm finding that the meat is kind of busting our budget. I spent more money on groceries (not even the protein bars or drinks - just groceries) than I normally do. Does anyone have any good ideas for meat that might be a bit cheaper, but still OP? Frozen chicken tenders are pretty cheap, and we've used those this week, but I don't know how OP they are because they have "up to a 15% solution" in them.

Anyway, I think I just need to vent. Today is very hard for me. I hope maybe it's because I'm going into ketosis. (I hope, I hope, I hope). Have been very hungry this whole week, but today I'm really craving carbs (not sugar, just carbs - pasta, bread, rice, etc.).
panda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184.6/169/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda13 View Post
Today has been rough. Ate a protein bar for breakfast, but it didn't really fill me up. Made a menu plan for next week and went shopping w/the kids, but forgot to bring my water. I got so hungry and TIRED.

Well, we're home now, and I had some coleslaw for my veggies and tried this pudding (which I ordered a pack of 15):

I can't believe I paid $25 for something I have to choke down. Last night, I tried it w/chai spices and extra water to make a shake and it was horrible. Today I tried it plain w/regular amount of water and it was horrible. I'm hoping my husband can stomach it, because that's a lot of money to spend on something I don't like!

Also, I'm finding that the meat is kind of busting our budget. I spent more money on groceries (not even the protein bars or drinks - just groceries) than I normally do. Does anyone have any good ideas for meat that might be a bit cheaper, but still OP? Frozen chicken tenders are pretty cheap, and we've used those this week, but I don't know how OP they are because they have "up to a 15% solution" in them.

Anyway, I think I just need to vent. Today is very hard for me. I hope maybe it's because I'm going into ketosis. (I hope, I hope, I hope). Have been very hungry this whole week, but today I'm really craving carbs (not sugar, just carbs - pasta, bread, rice, etc.).
I buy a pound of hamburger 90% for me at the store. I then measure out 1 cup worth of RAW meat and make patties out of them for the next several days. Since I am still in phase 1 I am only eating 8 oz per day. I usually add some spice while cooking them and then dip them in WF Honey Dijon for a little flavor. Yes, it is more expensive. The veggies alone are super expensive BUT I think of the money we were spending going to DQ (at least 2-3 days a week) making cookie dough, cakes, doughnuts, etc and I think it all works out. I would much rather know I am spending money to be healthy. I buy my packets from IP so I can't help you out on the flavor of others. There is also the alternate plan you could try. Walmart sells shakes and bars at a fraction of the cost. Look for the Alternate forum and see if that helps with your expenses. Good luck! Hang in there you will see results if you stick with it!
4kiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #3  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:

Panda, if you go to HealingGourmet.com and register for their free newsletter you'll get a free pdf that contains hundreds of organic food products that are available in big box stores and other sources with the cost per serving for each. If I were back in the states and near these stores I'd sure be checking into them because of the savings and the fact that the foods are organic.

Likewise you can use the information to compare to non-organic prices and plan how to keep a lid on costs. But please don't scrimp and buy the cheapest, fattiest meats. They are more expensive in the long run, but you probably know that. In case anyone doesn't I'll give an example: 100 grams [about 3.5 ounces] of 80% lean ground beef raw (the most common on the market) has 254 calories, 17.17 g protein and 20 g of fat. 100 grams of 95% lean ground beef raw has 137 calories, 21.41 g protein, and 5 g of fat. To me, that's a big difference.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 293/274.6/140

Height: 5'2

Quote:

Like 4kiddos was saying, I get my packets from naushanutrition.com and use the shakes and bars from walmart. Which it does seem much cheaper. I don't eat red meat or fish so my only option is chicken. I try and find different ways to make the chicken. I am craving carbs as well... but i had a protidiet beef vegatable soup for lunch and there were NOODLES in it. Not a lot and they were tiny but it definitely curbed my craving. I also saw someone else mention "miracles noodles" which are okay on phase 1. i haven't tried them yet but i heard they are good.

You can do this! I am on day six too!
mrsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #5  

Thanks everyone. I took a nap this afternoon and then made some scrambled eggs w/zucchini which were quite good. While making them, I realized that they are definitely a cheap option as well.

I tried a recipe I saw using a pudding packet as a base for a waffle. I took one of the yucky puddings, added some water and egg whites, then made a pancake with it (I don't have a waffle iron). I was happy with the results, so now I don't have to throw away my packets.

Tomorrow is my first WI. I'm hoping that will keep me motivated. So far I have not cheated!
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I took a nap this afternoon and then made some scrambled eggs w/zucchini which were quite good. While making them, I realized that they are definitely a cheap option as well.

I tried a recipe I saw using a pudding packet as a base for a waffle. I took one of the yucky puddings, added some water and egg whites, then made a pancake with it (I don't have a waffle iron). I was happy with the results, so now I don't have to throw away my packets.

Tomorrow is my first WI. I'm hoping that will keep me motivated. So far I have not cheated!
The trick for using most of the packets is to check the recipe threads. There are many good ideas there.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #7  

Woo hoo! Weigh-in number one and I lost 7 pounds! Very happy. My hubby lost 7.5. We did well. So that's 14% of my goal lost in one week!

Okay, I know it won't always be this much, but I'm very happy anyway!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #8  
Restart IP 1/1/15

S/C/G: 265.5/248/150

Height: 5'3"

I am on day three and have to say that you really have to play with the packets to make them taste okay. I had the Pineapple drink yesterday and didn't like it so I added more water, some coconut extract and ice, then put it in my bullet (like a blender) and it was better. Check out the "fun with packets" thread and the recipe thread for ideas.
gs463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 206/190/140

Day six was my worst to. I was so dizzy and nearly passed out at thecar dealer.. I added in some extra meal with protien, two cups iceburge lettuce 4 oz ground beef with a tspn salt and wf dressing. This is my go to meal when im struggeling. Day seven was so much better. Hugs!!
mlseward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 206/190/140

Sorry I forgot to add hamburger is my main meat, cheeper than most, and I feel you on the budbet part. I also use eas and they are 5 out to wm.
mlseward is offline   Reply With Quote