Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

View Poll Results: How good has the Atkins diet been for you?
Great 1 20.00%
Pretty Good 0 0%
Neutral 2 40.00%
Kinda Bad 1 20.00%
Terrible 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #1  

Thumbs up Flatlining

I could use some advice. I've been on the Atkins diet for 5 weeks as of yesterday. In the first 3 weeks I dropped 23 pounds, and have been dieting faithfully (cept for some pizza one day) ever since. I've been drinking nothing but water, and occasionally a little lemonade (with ReaLemon and Sweet&Low) and my body will NOT drop any more weight off. I've even started smoking (no scorn please) to help the weight come off, and nothing. What am I to do? The biggest irritation is not so much that I'm not losing weight, it's that it appears I'm having to diet this hardcore in order to maintain a weight that is still too heavy. Please please please, any advice or comments?
Old 07-22-2003, 02:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

All I can tell you is from what I have learned. This may not pertain exactly to the adkins diet.. but moreso to dieting in general. I tend to lose an amount like you did over a few weeks at first.. then I hit a plateau. You have to stick with the diet and what you are doing. Try not to give up. Its frustrating when you hit that point where nothing comes off and you stay that way for as long as a month.. but eventually you will start losing again.

I have had this happen.. and my friends who diet have all experienced it too. I hope this gives you a little support to know that its normal and just hang on for a little while longer!
Old 07-22-2003, 03:54 PM   #3  
Soon-to-be Sexy Lady

I have heard this is how Atkins is. It's easy to drop stuff off quick, but it's impossible to maintain. Not that you are not maintaining...but I've just read that it is not a solution...just b/c it doesn't teach you about portion control, etc. Different things work for different people, that's true, but I just urge ya to be careful. I personally could NEVER do atkins b/c I love carbs too much. But I wish you the best of luck and I think Debbie is right...stick with it and it'll work for you. Or if it's not, try simple calorie counting. I was down a few lbs. just from doing a few days of it last week...of course that went out of the water when I had 2 gluttonous eating out dinners over the weekend. LOL GOOD LUCK HON!
Old 07-22-2003, 06:14 PM   #4  

That is an extremely fast loss. It's quite possible that your metabolism has crashed because you lost so fast.

However, a two-week plateau doesn't really mean anything, even though it's frustrating. I would stick with it for a few more weeks before you decide that it isn't working. It could easily be that your body needs time to adjust to the new weight.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:31 AM   #5  

Thanks for the quick replies you guys. I hope you're right, that I'm just at a plateu (SP?) cause the diet works really well for me as far as what I like to eat and how often.

I have one more question, for those who know: I am 6'3", 260lbs, and literally am a large boned person. The problem is that this roll around my middle won't seem to shrink much. My abs are about the right size for my chest/legs if you catch my meaning, but my gut is still squishy... I have a bad back, so recommending crunches or the like is out... any other suggestions?

ALSO, I tried emailing 3FC some recipes of mine but they never got posted. If any of you are interested in sharing some low carb recipes, send me an e-mail. I was raised with 2 southern cooks, I might be able to share a few new ideas and would love to hear some of yours.

[email protected]
Old 07-23-2003, 01:17 PM   #6  
Dancing those pounds away

I just had to jump in and say that "individuals" learn or don't learn control.
Many people on Atkins never practice portion control just as many people on low fat eats nothing but fat free cookies, cakes, chips etc.

The Atkins plan encourages portions control. They say to eat until you are satisfied... but do not overeat. With time you will find that you will be eating smaller portions.
You cannot blame the plan for the what individuals do.

Low carb has been a life saver for me.
It has improved my emotional well being as well as my physical.
It elimanated my mood swings, my aching knees improved, my mobility increased .

I agree with everyone... 2 weeks is not a stall... it is just a frustrating part of weight loss. Don't give up... if you truly like low carb way of eating.
Make wise food choices....eat your veggies (lots of them)... drink your water... and exercise. It will come off if you don't go back to bad habits.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:38 AM   #7  

Hi

Frustrating, isn't it. 23 pounds is great and I agree with Metta, your metabolism has crashed. I know this is going to sound awful but try this - eat normally for a few days until you gain back a few pounds (3-5) then go high protein/low carb again and lose it. Do this three or four times and this will kick start your metabolism again - the key is control - don't gain back more than five pounds and as soon as you do start to lose again. Once you go through the cycle a few times, you will notice that it takes longer each time to gain back the weight. This is because your are reactivating your metabolism to prediet levels. It would also be really helpful if you are excercising during this process (which will also help to boost up your metabolism). This is the curves weight loss method and it does work. You might want to try reading Gary Heavin's new book (I think it is called Curves - it has a purple and white cover) which better explains this.

Don't give up - you are doing a great job.
Closed Thread