General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #1  
is chubby

Default Not five but seven...

So my doctor told me today that 5 portions of fruit and veg is TOO LITTLE for a woman my age with my lifestyle...

I was baffled. I don't like food and from all groups fruit and veg are the most annoying types of food that need the most fuss to clean and prepare. It was already very very hard to get myself to eat 3 veg and 2 fruit every day from virtually zero and now I have to add 2 more!

I feel somehow deflated. I did my best to eat this much veg and felt so accomplished that I did it right... and now it wasn't enough. *sigh*

How do you manage 7 portions of fruit and veg daily, active people? And more important... how does your bowel manage it?
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 249/199/170

Height: 5'10"

I get 10-12 servings of fruit and vegetables a day, and I don't find it too challenging, even though I share your disdain for fuss and complicated cooking.

Cooked vegetables are available frozen and can just be microwaved. Steamfresh and other brands make veggies that you can cook in the bags they come in. I also love canned peas and carrots, which can also be cooked in the microwave.

I also eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables raw. I eat a big salad pretty much every day. Pre-cut lettuce/baby spinach, rinsed and drained canned beans, baby carrots, pre-chopped onion or celery, sprouts, edamame, and lots of other vegetables are easy and require very little preparation. I tend to also choose fruits that are easy. Apples, pears, grapes: all you have to do is rinse them and then you can eat them with your hands and throw away the cores/stems away. Bananas are really simple. Also, dried fruit is great: raisins, cranberries, prunes. Fruits and veggies can be super-easy if you pick things you like that don't require too much preparation.
anna ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #3  
Losin' it in SacTown!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I would say just eat it raw. My sister in law will prepare baggies of fruits and vegetables at the beginning of each week, and will grab them from the fridge when she's on the go.
bandit bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #4  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Eater larger portions of the veggies you're currently eating?
One vegetarian meal every few days?
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #5  
Newmeb440

Height: 5'6 1/2

wow Really im lucky if i get 1 fruit and 1 veggie in a day..
So expensive......

I will have to try to fix more in..

Thanks for the reminder.
LOSINITWITHGRACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #6  
I can dream, can't I?

Height: 5'5"

Check serving sizes. What you eat as a serving may really be 2 servings.

Fruits Serving Sizes
1/2 banana
1 small apple, orange, or pear
1/2 cup of chopped, cooked, or canned fruit
Vegetables Serving Sizes
1 cup of raw leafy vegetables
1/2 cup of other vegetables; cooked, raw (chopped), or canned
1/2 cup of vegetable juice

You might find it easier to drink fruit juice or throw a few pieces of fruit on your basic salad.
I was surprised at how easy it is to get more servings.
Good luck!

Last edited by suetalks; 01-07-2012 at 11:19 PM.
suetalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #7  
is chubby

That was really enlightening Suetalks. I didn't know one banana is actually two servings!

Someone mentioned veg being expensive, perhaps you can find a local producer to help you out? Or perhaps there is an open produce market somewhere in your city/town?
If you buy fruit and veg directly from the producer it can be dirt cheap. OR you can simply buy more of the cheap stuff. What is cheaper varies depending on where you live and what farmers produce close to your home. Though in the US I bet you have awesome trading routes between the states. Even in Greece we get frozen California orange juice imported and California dried prunes

In Greece btw buying fast food and soda is way way WAAAY more expensive than fruit and veg. We can get like 3 kilos of veg for 1.5 dollars (a mix for a salad) or cheaper. Only exotic things like Ananas and lichi is expensive for obvious reasons. So I actually saved alot of money since I stopped eating quickly on the go between excersize, Uni and job.

It might have something to do with how profitable it is to produce veg instead of corn or grain in your country. Goverments should really give more money to fresh produce farmers, don't you agree?

Last edited by Chubbykins; 01-08-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote