Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/176/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Majorly messed up over the holidays

Hello All and Happy New year to everyone - Boy did i mess up over the holidays. I dont know why i did it, i think in part i was a little burned out because i have been so obsessed with losing weight, literally it has been consuming my thoughts all the time, that i decided Xmas morning to go off the diet for 1 day....Well, i day turned into 7 days. I basically tried to watch what i was eating through the day, but at night, i ate and drank whatever i wanted. And boy did i drink!!! When i stepped on the scale Jan 1st, i was up ......14 lbs!!!!!!!!! I was absolutely devestated and so angry at myself. So i went back to hardcore IPing and since Jan 1st i have lost 12 of the 14 lbs. Huge lesson learned!! Know i no more than ever how important phasing out is and how important maintenance is!!!! In hindsight, i am glad this happened as i learned how incredibly easy it is to go back to your old eating habits. I am still trying to figure out why i did what i did, but for now, i am back to following this diet to the letter. I realize know about a month or so before the holidays i was getting slack on this diet, having a glass of wine here and there and chewing gum which is a huge nono. The minute you put a stick of gum in your mouth, your body thinks it is getting sugar and stops fat burning, and i wasnt drinking my full amount of water i should have been drinking. Anyway, i wanted to share my mess up so others may learn from it.
kelly1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

Happily, I think even a messed up week is mostly bloat that goes away pretty quickly. I'm still working off my last two pounds of post-holiday gain. Glad it wasn't more. Good for you for getting back on the wagon.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Well you learned your lesson and now onward.

This is the reason I've never cheated and never will till I'm done. Of course I miss eating food that everyone else is eating, but I also feel too good on this plan. I don't want that old tired fat feeling back again.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/174/160

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly1962 View Post
Hello All and Happy New year to everyone - Boy did i mess up over the holidays. I dont know why i did it, i think in part i was a little burned out because i have been so obsessed with losing weight, literally it has been consuming my thoughts all the time, that i decided Xmas morning to go off the diet for 1 day....Well, i day turned into 7 days. I basically tried to watch what i was eating through the day, but at night, i ate and drank whatever i wanted. And boy did i drink!!! When i stepped on the scale Jan 1st, i was up ......14 lbs!!!!!!!!! I was absolutely devestated and so angry at myself. So i went back to hardcore IPing and since Jan 1st i have lost 12 of the 14 lbs. Huge lesson learned!! Know i no more than ever how important phasing out is and how important maintenance is!!!! In hindsight, i am glad this happened as i learned how incredibly easy it is to go back to your old eating habits. I am still trying to figure out why i did what i did, but for now, i am back to following this diet to the letter. I realize know about a month or so before the holidays i was getting slack on this diet, having a glass of wine here and there and chewing gum which is a huge nono. The minute you put a stick of gum in your mouth, your body thinks it is getting sugar and stops fat burning, and i wasnt drinking my full amount of water i should have been drinking. Anyway, i wanted to share my mess up so others may learn from it.
Maintaining your weight is going to be a life long effort. It's NORMAL to want to eat/drink however you please....but as long as it's not a constant pattern, you got it out of your system. I just read someone's post a minute ago, and it was perfect:

Originally Posted by GloverParker:
We want something on this plan because we can't have it, and when/if we do cave in and have it, it really isn't as good as you think it will be and then you get depressed for eating it. I was so ready to get on Phase 1 again. So just remember that. If you are craving chips for example, it's really salt you want, so slice some zucchini thinly and paint it with some sea salt and seasonings and broil it for 7 minutes and flip it over for another. that will get rid of that craving. Same with sweets: I LOVE the chocolate shake packet warmed up like hot chocolate ever night, throw a little Davinci Sugarfree peanutbutter syrup in it. YUM it's like reeses cups. Chew gum, drink lots and lots of water and warm teas. and stay busy, this site helped sooooo much. and read the book about Ideal Protein, the PDF link at beginning of daily threads. Less you cheat sooner you will be at maintenance! It will be a forever battle of course, but we will have the tools to eat how we want sometimes and then jump back to phase 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLess View Post
Happily, I think even a messed up week is mostly bloat that goes away pretty quickly. I'm still working off my last two pounds of post-holiday gain. Glad it wasn't more. Good for you for getting back on the wagon.
This is random, but I love your icon. Reminds of me Joan from Mad Men haha!
sarahmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #5  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLess View Post
I think you may have missed something. This isn't a skin-deep program. It's about re-setting your pancreas, stabilizing your other organs, blood pressure, etc. When you screw up you screw them up. That's why one bloats. And if one continues to screw up, well I think we can all fill in the blank. Honestly, there is a really good reason why this program is different from others that allow "little cheats." And it's why, eventually, you can go into maintenance and keep the weight off. That's VERY much differentfrom other programs.

Last edited by Linden; 01-07-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #6  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Kelly,

I think it is amazing that you have lost 12 pounds since January 1st that is a huge accomplishment .

I intentionally took a break over the Christmas period that went on from a little before Christmas but I didn't even stop on January 1st, instead I went on until the first Thursday which was the 5th to be back 100% on program, I am sure I gained weight but I refused to know how much, I will weigh myself next Thursday.

So kudos for you for getting back OP, and of course you'll lose much more from now on.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 235/205/145

Height: 5'8"

I too messed up over the holidays. I took a business trip in November oversees and when I came back I made the excuse that it was Thanksgiving, then it was my 40th Birthday and then it was Christmas. By the time I went in to see my coach I had gained 20 pounds. I cried. Just finished my first week back on IP and lost 7 pounds but am finding that I am so much more hungry now than what I was when I originally started the program. I need to stay focused...I have so much more weight to lose and need to stay motivated. Just bought the IP Cookbook and am hoping it helps me find some recipes to inspire me. Ugh....
cjward71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 251/176/150

Height: 5'4"

One pound away from where i was before Xmas. It was amazing how quickly it came off. I was thinking it would be 5 or 6 weeks of getting back. I think because i wasnt drinking any water at all form those 7 days alot of it was water, but i still set myself back 2 and 1/2 weeks of weight loss
However, i think the lesson learned is worth it!!
kelly1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 153/139/120

Height: 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjward71 View Post
I too messed up over the holidays. I took a business trip in November oversees and when I came back I made the excuse that it was Thanksgiving, then it was my 40th Birthday and then it was Christmas. By the time I went in to see my coach I had gained 20 pounds. I cried. Just finished my first week back on IP and lost 7 pounds but am finding that I am so much more hungry now than what I was when I originally started the program. I need to stay focused...I have so much more weight to lose and need to stay motivated. Just bought the IP Cookbook and am hoping it helps me find some recipes to inspire me. Ugh....
CJward I was in the same boat. I was in Paris on business and counldnt resist all that bordeoux then It was thanksgiving drinking then over christmas I was in Argentina. I gained 10lbs and felt horrible. I have lost 4.6 of the 10 in my first week I am hoping I can get rid of the rest soon. I still have about 15 lbs before I phase out and I am hoping to be able to do that by the end of february. Here is to no cheating
kdspirited is offline   Reply With Quote