South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 12-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #1  

Default Oatmeal Substitute

Ok, silly question, is there a substitute for Old Fashion Oatmeal? The reason I ask is, I think Old Fashion Oatmeal does a number on my tummy.

I recently made the no cook oatmeal cookies, they were wonderful, but I paid the price the following day, bloating. I also enjoy the oatmeal pancake, so just wondering if there is something I can use in place of it in these kinds of recipes.

And is there a difference between Old Fashion and Quick?

I am trying to get grains back in my plan, so I guess I am learning what will work and won't work for me.

Thanks
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #2  

old fashion and quick are different. Quick cooks up in a few minutes, old fashioned takes a good 15 minutes.

i sometimes use quinoa flakes as a replacement instead of oatmeal. for example i used to put oatmeal in my meatloaf but i didn't have any and used quinoa flakes successfully. I have friends who eat quinoa with a bit of maple syrup and nuts for breakfast every day. but not sure for things like pancakes or cookies

good luck!
cestlavie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Old fashioned oats are minimally processed and are much more nutritious than quick oats.

I've never experienced with a substitution for oats, but I think the quinoa flakes would work well.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #4  

Thank you ladies for the information, I am thinking quick oats may be gentler to the stomach, esp if a person isn't cooking them like in no bake cookies.

I use to have lots of stomach problems, but since I started SB they seem to have gone away and I feel so much better, but adding grains is altering me to a connection between them and my feeling icky.

Thanks again, I have never seen quinoa flakes, will have to look for them.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Be very careful with quick oats. Whole oats and steel cut are allowed because they are whole grain and metabolize slower so aren't so hard on your blood sugar. Quick oats will hit you much faster and could cause blood sugar spikes and cravings.

ETA: this list may be helpful for breakfast ideas.

ETA 2: hmm, I'm wrong about that. The things I learn before 8 am

"What is the difference between QuakerŽ Old Fashioned Oatmeal and Quick QuakerŽ Oats?
QuakerŽ Old Fashioned Oats are whole oats that are rolled to flatten them. They contain all parts of the oat grain including the bran, endosperm and germ portion. Quick QuakerŽ Oats are made the same way but are simply cut into slightly smaller pieces so they cook faster."

Last edited by CyndiM; 12-26-2011 at 07:01 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #6  

LOL Cyndi, so they are really both the same and on plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Be very careful with quick oats. Whole oats and steel cut are allowed because they are whole grain and metabolize slower so aren't so hard on your blood sugar. Quick oats will hit you much faster and could cause blood sugar spikes and cravings.

ETA: this list may be helpful for breakfast ideas.

ETA 2: hmm, I'm wrong about that. The things I learn before 8 am

"What is the difference between QuakerŽ Old Fashioned Oatmeal and Quick QuakerŽ Oats?
QuakerŽ Old Fashioned Oats are whole oats that are rolled to flatten them. They contain all parts of the oat grain including the bran, endosperm and germ portion. Quick QuakerŽ Oats are made the same way but are simply cut into slightly smaller pieces so they cook faster."
Old 12-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #7  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

That's how I would interpret that information

Cute new pic!
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Whew! That will save me lots of morning time ... and guilt.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #9  

Cyndi,

I owe thanks to you fellow beachies for my new pic. I love you guys and your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
That's how I would interpret that information

Cute new pic!