Old 04-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default What veggie do you STILL hate? (part 2)

The original thread lived a long life and hopefully made some of us think twice about a few veggies we thought we didn't like. Though I still don't like cauliflower!

So....

What vegetable do you absolutely hate?

Is this something you've hated since you were a child, and have not given it another chance?

Have you tried cooking it multiple ways, in case it tasted better in another version?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 249/199/170

Height: 5'10"

Water chestnuts. The texture makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.
anna ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/204.6/140

Height: 5'2"

Beets
pattypaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:53 AM   #4  
Berry and Me

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

green beans, peas, beats.. the list could go on.. basically all vegetables with the exception of asparagus, broccoli and the the lettuces that come in the spring salad mix. LOL It's taken my husband a long time to get me to eat the few veggies I will eat... the poor guy!
Lauren201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #5  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

I have a lot of canned green beans (like 7 cans) and I just can't quite eat them. They are great in green bean casserole but plain they are EW. I don't want to waste them, but I try and try and try to eat them... gag.

I also can't do celery... unless it's drenched in a few 100 calories of peanut butter. I keep buying it and trying it with some lite dips I make, but nope. Ew. The same for cooked spinach. Unless it's in a creamy cheese vehicle or on a pizza, the texture and taste make me gag.

I have gotten better about eating them. My favorite vegetables are green peppers, zucchini, asparagus, broccoli if it's cooked and seasoned right, and some times cauliflower depending on the circumstances .
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Peas. I so want to like them. They seem like the perfect thing to throw in every dish. But bleck. I throw them in and then eat around them or pick them out. I try them in restaurants. I try them fresh from the farmer's market. And still I do not like them.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 218/213/165

Height: 5'9"

I will have to agree with the majority here and say peas. I friggin' hate those little green jerks.

Peas have been the bane of my existence since the early years. I really don't think there is a way to prepare peas and have me like them.

I can tolerate pretty much every other vegetable in existence, including the much chagrined okra! Peas though...ugh. Keep them away!

Last edited by MissyMelissy; 04-13-2011 at 01:40 AM.
MissyMelissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #8  

Well to the pea haters - I would not sweat it as the little round lovelies are a starchy vegetable. I must confess to loving them. As a child it was creamed peas with fresh dill (heavenly), and now I toss them in various preps for a sweet nugget to balance the dish. And of course they are the best ice pack
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 PM   #9  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

umm... does it count as knowing i hate it if i still THINK i hate it and refuse to try it again?

if yes then, brussel sprouts, beets, and radishes.

i can eat tons of other veggies though so i don't sweat it too much. i used to hate broccoli too and there was not enough cheese sauce in my whole days' worth of calories to make it edible so i just didn't bother. as of today, I steamed two cups and added Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce and parmesan cheese and HOLY CRAP it tasted like WINGS. Thank you God, for blessing me with Frank's Red Hot. I think it could make anything delish.
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Height: 5'

Pretty much any cooked veggie except for corn. It's just the texture of it that does it for me. Raw I can usually handle with only mild complaints, but things like cooked peas and carrots... Bleh
emily88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:46 AM   #11  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Cucumbers and celery. I see so many people here who adore these two pale green harbingers of pukey death, but they remain the only two vegetables I truly cannot abide on their own. I've broadened my vegetable horizons to include everything from arugula to zucchini and will eat virtually anything else set before me, but celery is so nasty that I don't even like to chop it as an ingredient because that penetrating smell gets on my hands.

I envy people who consider these things food; they're so low-calorie, I really wish I could enjoy them.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/144/104

Height: 5'1"

- Vegetable pear or chayote... I've tried so many times but I still hate it. I don't know if it's the taste or texture, or both.

- Ginger... except if it's tea... otherwise, I spit it out

- BAMBOO... just yuck!!!
brokengently is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #13  
Start Date: May.19 .0011

S/C/G: 217/213/149

Height: 5'5"

Bell peppers of any kind and zucchini... BLEH
rockbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:09 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 187/180/125

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazonas View Post
umm... does it count as knowing i hate it if i still THINK i hate it and refuse to try it again?

if yes then, brussel sprouts, beets, and radishes.

i can eat tons of other veggies though so i don't sweat it too much. i used to hate broccoli too and there was not enough cheese sauce in my whole days' worth of calories to make it edible so i just didn't bother. as of today, I steamed two cups and added Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce and parmesan cheese and HOLY CRAP it tasted like WINGS. Thank you God, for blessing me with Frank's Red Hot. I think it could make anything delish.
This made me LOL I LOVE Franks to!!!
TrishG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 187/180/125

Okay I'm really pickey. Always have been. People used to ask me "so what DO you like?" I have a texture issue okay!!! Welllll I have been trying very hard to introduce new (healthy) foods into my diet. I can now withstand the following veggies without wanting to gourge an eye out or something =P
Cucumber
Tomato
colorful peppers
avacado
carrots
artichoke

I've always liked
raw spinich (not cooked eww!)
lettuce and salad greens of sorts
green beans
water chesnuts
brocolli
cauliflower
asparagus

I still can not stand:
Peas!
Okra
zucchini
squash
and I'm sure a multitude of others I have yet to think of or have tried!
TrishG is offline   Reply With Quote