Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #1  

Height: 165 cm (5'5'')

Default Frustration!!!!!!!!!

Fair warning, this is going to be a massive vent...

Now I have two older sisters, who for their entire lives have been at a healthy weight. Conversly I have always been fat.

My eldest sister decided to go on a health kick, which is fine and dandy. The problem is that she has decided that everyone should be inconvenienced by her diet and she constantly complains that she can't eat this or that and as a result we have all had to walk on egg shells and accommodate all of her demands to simply keep the peace.

This is probably going to sound petty and pathetic, BUT SHE IS DRIVING ME INSANE!!!!! If you are choosing to change your diet that is fine, but why are you trying to force the changes on me aswell. You are not the centre of my universe and as such you are not allowed to dictate how I am living my life and I will not change myself to accommodate you!!!!! GAHHHHH!!!!!!

The worst part is, I have been slowly implementing lifestyle changes for long term weightloss and to improve my health. The diet that she is doing is really horrible for her body and I have thus far managed to hold my tongue and not say anything, but GOD!!!!!

All I want is a stress free couple of days over christmas and I feel that i am probably going to go bat sh*t crazy on her ***.

Okay vent over. Thank you for reading and merry christmas
Alwaysbeenbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

That definitely deserves a vent!

What sort of things does she eat now? What will she no longer eat? I LOVE hearing stories like this.

The most extreme dieters I've ever seen come out of Australia! One time, when I was looking for a recipe, I ran across a bunch of fruitarians (something similar). Basically, being vegan wasn't healthy enough, nor was beans and potatoes, but they believed the correct, healthiest diet was eating fruit ALL day long. The leader of one of the popular websites would brag about eating 20 bananas a day, along with crates full of oranges, and never gaining a pound.... which I believed she attributed to the fact that those things were fat free.

But, it wasn't so practical for her to eat fruit all the time - particularly on her long bike rides through the desert. She had to carry crates of melons and things on the back of her bike just to stay alive!

She had a lot of followers.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #3  

I would flat out tell her that you'll be understanding ---- to a point. However, I would tell her that your plan emphasizes moderation and that you will not veer from that because she has decided on a more extreme plan. I'm sorry, but I would not let her dictate things. If she wants to be extreme, let her go through the inconvenience (e.g., buying her special foods, cooking them, etc.).
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unna View Post
I ran across a bunch of fruitarians (something similar). Basically, being vegan wasn't healthy enough, nor was beans and potatoes, but they believed the correct, healthiest diet was eating fruit ALL day long. The leader of one of the popular websites would brag about eating 20 bananas a day, along with crates full of oranges, and never gaining a pound.... which I believed she attributed to the fact that those things were fat free.
Um...can you say liquid poo??!!!

OP: I'm sorry that you have to deal with this. My brother is kind of similar in that he's something of a fitness nut. Which is great, he has a very healthy lifestyle...but he's pretty condescending about it. He refuses to eat pork, runs upwards of 5 miles a day at the very least, lifts weights and does situps/pushups every day, ect. His wife was raised vegan (her mom had/has breast cancer and the vegan diet really helps with her remission) so he incorporates a lot of those principles in his diet.

He has this "I know better than everybody else" philosophy when it comes to weight loss and fitness. Lol, its a lot easier to just overlook it and roll my eyes now that I haven't lived under the same roof as him for a few years, but he does make snide comments to my parents and the rest of us when we're together sometimes.

All I can say is that your sister is on a health kick, and its very uncool of her to try and push it on the rest of the family. All you can really tell her is that everybody's different, and different things work for everybody. Honestly, since she's in such a diet frenzy, anything you say will probably go in one ear and out the other. Anything you say is going to be taken as jealousy or sabotage. She's in an extreme mindset and has tunnel vision, which is making her self centered.

I'm with Unna, I'm dying to know what diet is she doing. I looooove these stories.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I am fascinated with anyone who believes they have found the perfect level of health and happiness in life solely based on their diet.

Like, they have the perfect hair, perfect skin, perfect workouts, everything they make with the very limited choices they have to eat tastes perfectly, they never have any cravings or bad thoughts, ..... it really is the new religion - everyone is converting.

I was watching a BBC documentary on some extreme branch of raw foodists who drink their morning pee for breakfast, because it is apparently super healthy and "a waste to waste your urine waste" because there are so many vitamins in it.

Hey - actually, Alwaysbeenbig and ArtyKay, you should be grateful your sister/brother are not *ahem* reaping the benefits of their vitamin-filled urination. Now THAT would be a problem - be glad you don't have to accomodate that behavior.

Last edited by Unna; 12-23-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

EWWWWW!!!!! I better not hear about my brother drinking his pee.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unna View Post

The most extreme dieters I've ever seen come out of Australia! One time, when I was looking for a recipe, I ran across a bunch of fruitarians (something similar). Basically, being vegan wasn't healthy enough, nor was beans and potatoes, but they believed the correct, healthiest diet was eating fruit ALL day long. The leader of one of the popular websites would brag about eating 20 bananas a day, along with crates full of oranges, and never gaining a pound.... which I believed she attributed to the fact that those things were fat free.
Ahhh the 8-1-1 - actually it is 30 bananas. Because not only do you eat almost only fruit but in any one meal you eat as much as you can hold of only 1 type of fruit. Raw food low fat veganism. 80% carb, 10% fat 10% protein. Acceptable sources of fat and protein are avocado and nuts.

The guy who runs that site is very soup**** about it too. If anyone asks any questions that sound at all like they are unsure if this might not be the ONE TRUE WAY they get banned from the site.

And tell your sister to bring her own food if she has dietary restrictions.

Last edited by ennay; 12-23-2011 at 11:11 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #8  
Get to goal & stay there!

S/C/G: 235/154.8/150

Height: 5'5"

I honestly would tell her exactly what you told us (maybe in a little sweeter tone though). You don't want to have your Christmas ruined by her demands and attitude.

You know, I have one daughter who is a vegetarian and the other cannot eat gluten. I would never tell my family that they would have to change their dinners they served us when we go over to their homes to accomodate out kids. Instead, I make sure to bring things my girls can eat. We don't make a stinkin' big deal out of it like your sister does. That is just so rude, and she really needs to be told so.

Hope it all works out for you.

Last edited by sandcar150; 12-23-2011 at 01:46 PM.
sandcar150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #9  
Pain Is Fuel

S/C/G: 180/176/118

Height: 5'5

I hate people who do that, its extremely irritating to be manipulated into changing your routines and own healthy habits because someone else has decided to go on a extreme plan. Especially when you know that the plan they are following will never work for long term weight loss and maintenance, but you have to keep your mouth shut.

I used to work with someone like this, she would go on these crazy health kicks. One of her diet plans was something like a portion of chicken for breakfast, tea and a rice cracker for lunch and a whole cucumber and more chicken for dinner, I am pretty sure no one could live on this long term. She told everyone we were not allowed to bring any food she liked for lunch because she would be tempted to eat it.... Problem is, anything we brought she liked and was upset at us for "tempting" her. It was ridiculous!

You might have to tell her that you will try to accommodate her to a point and she is very welcome to bring her own food to eat lol
Mimzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:16 AM   #10  

Height: 165 cm (5'5'')

Hello All!

Thank you so much for your responses. My sister has now been firmly told that she does have the right to change her diet but that she does not have the right to force it on other people.

Unna: I find her diet decently strange. She will have a fruit smoothy for breakfast which is made with full fat milk and full fat ice cream. She has a salad and lean protein for lunch and dinner and also drinks about 3 ready to drink protein shakes per day (each of which contain about 20 grams of suger). She is also eats a low fat yoghurt about twice a day.
Probably not the most out there diet in the world, but definitely not something that I would call healthy or balanced.

thanks for letting me vent all

Have a very happy holiday season to all
Alwaysbeenbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

I agree that what your sister is eating is not healthful, from what you say. However, now that you have let her know that you are going to stick with YOUR plan, I would encourage you to let her do the same without criticism. My experience is that people who are determined to do stuff like that are not interested in listening to reasoning, and I am always amazed at some of the things people will do and consider it a good way to lose weight. But no point in you becoming upset about it; just find yourself a good plan and go for it!!! You have a lot of great support here!!

LOL I have found that when I am eating healthful foods and exercising, losing weight, there are *always* people who come along and try to tell me what I am doing wrong or suggesting their favorite diet, etc. It is irritating beyond words but I have learned to just ignore it and keep right on with my plan!

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 12-24-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote