Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

Default When you feel like your loss hasn't changed your body yet...

You know the feeling. You've lost a significant amount of weight, but don't feel like you look any different yet. Or not different enough yet...

I've been feeling like this. I've lost 20+ lbs overall, 13 recently. And I'm still wearing the same jeans. It gets a little discouraging! And I was feeling kind of down about it...But you know what...I've lost 4 of these.

4 of those are no longer on my body. That's hard to believe!!!

More importantly, my body no longer has to carry around 4 of these...

Or lug around two of these constantly....

The visuals have really helped me realize that while I don't feel much smaller, I've already done my body a HUGE favor so far! I've literally lifted a huge weight off. I can't imagine the long term strain I've been putting on my body carrying all this extra weight around.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #2  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Wonderful visuals! We have wrap on weights at my gym and I'll be them on at times and walk around with my previous weight, crazy stuff!

I've always found measurements help me so much. Then I can see exactly where I'm losing. Sometimes I won't be going down actually sizes but my thighs will be shrinking or my underbust. It helps me to know exactly where I'm losing at the moment so I don't stress over it too much.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

That is awesome! Every pound really does count.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #4  

Great visuals! And I'll bet you'll start noticing your weight loss in other ways pretty soon, too. When I first lost weight, I felt as if I didn't look that different, especially since no one was commenting on my weight loss. Then, about ten lbs. later or so, all of a sudden, everybody noticed.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

It always takes me FOREVER to lose the first jean size because ....well lets face it I dont go buy bigger jeans until I can't breathe in the old ones. Usually by the time I start trying to lose weight I really should be at LEAST one size bigger, if not 2.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #6  

That's a good point, ennay...The jeans I'm now comfortable in would barely button a month ago.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Excellent reminder! We used to have a thread around here, though I don't know exactly where, that had a full list of real life object equivalents to the weight we'd lost. I lost something like a tire, twenty guinea pigs, or two toddlers. It was a great feeling of satisfaction to put it in those terms, especially when I was stalled or discouraged.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #8  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

That first pic . . I know it's of fat but what do you mean 'I lost 4 of those'? Oh wait, the pic is of 5 lbs. of fat and you lost 4 meaning you lost 20 lbs. of fat. Just got it . . I'm so duh.

Did anyone see The Biggest Loser where they had to run/walk in the hills and they started out with weights on so they weighed what they weighed when they first go there then at certain intervals they took off xx lbs. and continued running/walking until they had shed (in weights) all the lbs. they had actually lost? I thought that was such a great visual to see how much they lost and how far they've come.

I know for me the scale may move but I don't see where I've lost weight . . then at other times I can see exactly where I've lost weight but the the scale seems to stay in the same general place. Bodies are weird! lol
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Size 10-12/Size 8/Size 6

Height: Almost 5'4"

I definitely know the feeling. I resisted buying clothes at my largest and just made due with what I had. After a while I began to notice that I no longer wore clothes that used to fit because they were too tight. I list my high size as 10-12 even though I don't have many 12s because I was stuffing myself into 8s and 10s. Thankfully all of that stuff that was tight earlier this year is now back in the rotation.

Do you have any "skinny" clothes hanging around? You might want to try on some stuff that you know didn't fit you at your high weight. I just put on a pair of size 5 slacks that I've had forever and noticed that I fit them again. At my heaviest, I couldn't wear them without looking totally ridiculous (ie. big muffintop) and threatening the life of the buttons.

Also, do you have any pictures that were taken recently that you can compare to a bad picture? I tried to avoid the camera when I was heavier, but I still have a few "trigger" pictures (as in triggered the response that I need to lose weight). I don't many recent pictures though because I'm just now becoming a little more comfortable with the camera.
January Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #10  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

I've lost 20 guinea pigs (60 pounds) and I still don't feel like I look different. I know I'm wearing smaller clothes and that other people can tell I've lost weight, but I just don't see it. Then again, I didn't see it when I was really fat; I knew I was fat but didn't see it. I've taken a few pictures of myself recently with my crappy little camera and it's helped a bit.

I like the visuals you chose. 20 pounds is a lot!
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #11  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I totally understand what you mean. I KNOW that I'm smaller. I see it when I'm sitting here with the laptop gazing downward. My arms are thinner; my bust shrank, thighs are smaller. I know my butt is smaller b/c the rear of my pants is baggy. However I am able to continue to wear clothing that fit me 28 pounds ago. Why? Because I tend to wear loose fitting tops to begin with, elasticized waist slacks, and the majority of my clothing is cotton. Except for about 5 blouses that are seriously ill-fitting now b/c the shoulder seams fall 2-3 inches lower then they are supposed to hang and cause the sleeve hems fall below my wrists--I'm still wearing old pants and blouses.

I see the difference in my face, but I don't like my neck. I am also not thrilled with the lack of progress around my belly, however, that is more a matter of not being able to escape my shape. I may never be happy with that area, no matter how much weight I lose.

Yes, my body image and perspective feels a bit "off."
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275/208/175

Height: 5'9

That first picture is crazy! Hard to believe its so much! I didn't notice a difference in myself until about 25lbs. Other people said they could see it, but I didn't buy it. It can be discouraging but the scale and measurements (which I wish I did at the beginning) don't lie! Now I LOVE going back and looking at my before pictures!
JanessaFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by January Snow View Post

Do you have any "skinny" clothes hanging around? You might want to try on some stuff that you know didn't fit you at your high weight. I just put on a pair of size 5 slacks that I've had forever and noticed that I fit them again. At my heaviest, I couldn't wear them without looking totally ridiculous (ie. big muffintop) and threatening the life of the buttons.

Also, do you have any pictures that were taken recently that you can compare to a bad picture? I tried to avoid the camera when I was heavier, but I still have a few "trigger" pictures (as in triggered the response that I need to lose weight). I don't many recent pictures though because I'm just now becoming a little more comfortable with the camera.
I do have "skinny" clothes...all of my skinny pants are in a size 12...and I'm wearing a size 12. But the rest of my 12s don't fit yet. Its crazy how different brands in the same size differ soooooo much. Especially since I carry a lot of weight in my lower belly and thighs, that really affects what fits.

OOOO OOOO!!!! I just tried on a pair of jeans that wouldn't even button (Not by a long shot) a month ago and THEY FIT!!! Only a little bit of muffin top!!! Of course, this time last year they were super baggy, but nevermind that.

I don't have any recent pictures...I'm actually looking forward to our family christmas party because I know tons of pics will be taken and I can compare. I don't have any real "starting" pictures, as I avoided cameras like the plague and deleted all pictures that weren't flattering...but maybe I can use pictures from NOW as before pics?

Last edited by ArtyKay; 12-23-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #14  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I love your comparisons! Mine is my oldest son, he weighs 43lbs. I've lost an entire 6 year old child! LOL Can't wait to see your pics!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMe View Post
I love your comparisons! Mine is my oldest son, he weighs 43lbs. I've lost an entire 6 year old child! LOL Can't wait to see your pics!
I just took some bikini pics (inspired by your sig.) so that I at least have SOME kind of starting point to compare myself to.