Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Default December Lights' Chat

Ok, it's December, full of celebrations related to light..Christmas, Hannukah, Divali and the solstice.

So, lighten up everybody, except of course on the weights you're lifting.

I'm moved up from 20# to 25# dumbells on the db snatch, and did I ever feel the difference. Did 2 sets of 10, with a number of other lifts and slept like a baby.

What are the rest of you up to these days?
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 AM   #2  

I'll write to myself

Yesterday I did a lot of functional exercises with the trainer just for a switch from lifting. Just about killed me!! Lots of push-ups, burpees, plank variations, squats and lifts, on and on. I lasted about 35 minutes then said "Uncle."

I need to do more of that. Those burpees really got to my hips. Yeeouuch...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Great job Tejas. Nothing feels better than having to increase your weight!

I'm starting month #2 of a program called Westside for washed up meatheads (lol) which is adapted for those who are no longer active in sports but wish to keep things up. I had to take a few months break (on bedrest, hence sudden disappearance from this section) before that and I'm really feeling my strength.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #4  
Workin' It

Burpees are killer...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #5  

Sacha, I hope you're recovering well and enjoying the new program.

Shannon, yes, agreed

I just got a diagnosis of arthritis today. I knew my hips and hands were hurting just a bit too much. More tests to come.....
Old 12-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #6  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Rhonda: Sorry to hear that your having more pains than usual. Is it Rheumatoid?

Nothing really new over here, mostly why I haven't been posting for a while. Workouts are okay. Mostly hindered by my left shoulder. I really need to give that some attention because it's making my yoga practice challenging as well. Hopefully I can get this turned around by spring....ah spring....:
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #7  

Lydia---I got a message from the Dr's office saying that blood work is "abnormal" and I assume that means RA since that is what the test was for. They are referring me to a rheumatologist and I'm waiting to hear the appointment time.

Go get your shoulder looked at
Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #8  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Hi gang.

I've quiet too, for not great reasons. I've been plugging along at my NROLFW but taking it really slow. I've been having major knee troubles and major knee pain and my recovery from each workout has been really slow. I struggle with my food/drink intake so this means that my weight loss has dropped off too.

I have seen an orthopedist and had an mri--apparently my kneecap is tracking wrong and tearing at my cartilage and causing miserable pain and inflammation. I have an appointment for surgery in Jan (to shave the cartilage and possibly snip the ligament that is pulling my kneecap to the side) but I also have an appointment for a second opinion on Monday.

I'm frustrated. Grr! Grr! Grr!

Has anyone had a similar patella tracking problem or know anyone who has? My research shows that docs generally prefer to NOT treat it with a surgery (especially the lateral release) surgery but I am hoping that that will work for me. My legs are strong and I'm healthy and fit so I'm reallyreallyreally hoping that the second doctor will agree that surgery is a good option.

Argh.

In other news, I'm up to 185lb with my deadlifts!
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

DietVet I'm so sorry to hear about your knee. I suspect I have something similar going on with mine too- I can feel the patella move and click with certain motions. I live in a developing country so I won't be able to get it checked out until I move back to the States in June.

No advice, just sympathy. Good for you for getting a second opinion. Good luck.

Also, I'm staring NROLW next week (I think thats when my book arrives!)- would love to hear how it's going for you
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #10  

My great niece (13 yo) is a gymnast who broke her leg. She had to have surgery and she is recovering beautifully. Good luck with your surgery.

I have patellar tendonitis but the MRI was negative, thank goodness. But, I understand the frustration. It has taken months to do rehab.

I can do deadlifts at 162, so I'm really impressed with yours! I'm not going to try to do any heavier weight for quite a while
Old 12-18-2011, 10:16 PM   #11  
On the slow track.

Hi gang,

I've had a terrible weekend but I had a triumph in the gym today. I'm very pleased with myself: I did my deadlifts as 4x4 and did all 4 sets at 200lb! Hooray!

I get my second opinion on the knee tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 AM   #12  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Very nice deadlift DietVet. I hope you get some good news about the knee soon. I'm assuming that you've done the physical therapy route already.(It's been a while since I've followed threads so my memory is a little cloudy)

Looking forward to my own workout this morning. I was totally out last week with the flu. Went in on Friday but really was only at 60%. Ready to move and get the kinks out today.

Have a great morning everyone.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #13  

Congratulations, Dietvet..that's amazing. I'm envious.

Let us know about the knee.

I've got something going on right in the area where it all joins together in upper right leg, pelvic area...I'm going to go see massage therapist on Friday and see what he thinks is happening..I think it's one thing is connected to another, etc....
Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #14  
On the slow track.

Hi ladies,

Second opinion guy has prescribed an even more complicated and invasive surgery. I'm going to have a tibial tubercle osteotomy. (Try saying that thrice!) It is supposed to be really effective so I'm actually thrilled.

HOWEVER, I'm going to spend 6 weeks on crutches and not be able to any real exercise for about 6 months. This isn't good at all. I will be miserable and I will probably be fat. You can see from my ticker that might weight is coming off sllooooowwwlly. This is mostly because my calorie deficit is coming from exercise alone--I'm basically eating at maintenance and struggling with it. I'm going to have to figure out how to get real about cutting calories so that I don't turn into a veal calf.

I'm going to have to figure out how to do some cardio at home using only my upper body. Good times.

I hope everyone is having lots of fun at the gym!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #15  
Workin' It

DietVet - ouch. I'm sorry to hear about the surgery. I can barely DL 110, your 200 makes me jealous.

Rhonda - sorry about the arthritis, too. Hope that they can fix you up.

I've been reading but not posting much lately. Sorry about that. I've been kind of down on myself and critical, feeling pretty out of sorts. I'm trying to come back to me.

I need to get back to more consistent yoga... I was thinking about you this week Lydia - I was doing a hip opener flow to the light of my Christmas tree.

I'll be back after the first of the year. I have to be.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote