Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 04:26 PM   #1  

Default Are You Training for a Marathon?

I can tell we have some runners hanging around here. How many of you are working up to a marathon?

I've just signed up for my fourth marathon: Rock and Roll Arizona. It's in January, and the training really hasn't actually started yet. And since I've got a base of about 10-12 miles right now, it won't start cranking up for me for a couple months.

So...shall we trade tips? Training ideas? Marathon experiences? Horror stories? Any weight-loss/weight-gain issues while training? Let's talk about them!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:45 PM   #2  

Hi, actually I haven't been around for a while, but I'm going to get back on track. Anyway.....I actually just signed up for the same marathon. Except I'll be walking it. I meet with them on 7/31 to go over everything. I really would like to do the one in Hawaii, but I don't think I'll be able to get out there. Maybe I'll see ya in Phoenix. Good Luck.
Old 07-15-2003, 07:21 PM   #3  

Jen - does that mean you're doing Team in Training?
Old 07-16-2003, 12:55 AM   #4  

Yep!!!

The first initial Team in Training meeting is on the 31st here. But I have been wanting to do something like this for a while. I have done the kidney walks and the walks for Down Syndrome, but I think the most I have gone on one of those was 4 miles. My mother might do it with me, but she will only being doing the 1/2 marathon. But we both will be walking. Anyway I guess that was kind of a long answer to your question. I love the new smilies.

It sounds like you'll be running. Thumbs up to you. Will you be doing the whole thing?
Old 07-16-2003, 09:50 AM   #5  

I'm in...for the thread, at least.

I'm in week 3 of a 16-week marathon training plan, with an ultimate goal of the Chicago marathon on October 12. I haven't actually committed yet, though. I'm giving myself two more weeks to decide and then I'll register. (Unless I hear they're filling up in which case I'll throw all caution to the wind and go for it.)

Glad to meet everyone!

Lynne
Old 07-16-2003, 08:01 PM   #6  

Ooh, the Chicago marathon. That's definitely on my list of must-do marathons. Unfortunately October is such a hectic time at work, that I wouldn't be able to take much time off to travel to it. So unless I win the lottery and quit my job.... Someday I'll do it, though.

As for Phoenix, yep, I'll be running the full marathon. On race day it will have been 2 years since I've run one - is that enough time to forget the agony?!?
Old 07-17-2003, 01:03 PM   #7  

You guys are amazing. I'm planning on walking it. I can't even imagine running it. Maybe some day.
Old 07-17-2003, 03:59 PM   #8  

Hey, Jen - keep this in mind:

If I run the marathon, I will finish in about 4-4 1/2 hours. If you walk it (assuming, say a 15 minute pace) you'll finish in something like 6 1/2 hours. That's a heck of a long time to be out exercising!!!

Just think of those elite folks who run the marathon in sub 3 hours. Pshaw! They don't know what it's like to exercise for that long!!!

I think the longer it takes, the stronger you have to be, mentally. So what you lack in speed, you more than make up for in your fortitude. We all cover the same number of miles....
Old 07-17-2003, 04:07 PM   #9  

Jen,

I agree with Scout. Especially because in my mind, the *entire* race is mental, whether you're walking or running. Every step forward is a fight against inertia ("Okay, you've gone far enough. Just stop now."). So the longer you're out there, the stronger you are!

A marathon is a marathon...and I admire the marathon walkers!!

As much as I love to run and love what it does for my body, very few of my runs are those effortless, "I could go forever" runs. I'm in a constant battle with a brain that gets bored on the treadmill or weary on the uphills. So the few times I *do* have one of those effortless runs? I savor it.

Lynne
Old 07-18-2003, 12:26 PM   #10  

I am currently training for the Columbus marathon on October 19th. This will be my second marathon. I am actually hoping to qualify for Boston with this one.

Good luck to you all!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:20 PM   #11  

Wow, Tobey...Boston! How cool!!

Columbus is the week after Chicago...so hopefully at the same time you're qualifying for Boston, I'll be an official marathon finisher.

Lynne
Old 07-18-2003, 02:13 PM   #12  

Tobey,

What qualifying time do you need for Boston?

[right now, at my age I'd need to run a 3:40 - not likely when I'm currently a 4:20-4:30 runner! Someday....]
Old 07-18-2003, 03:36 PM   #13  

Lynne: I have no doubt that you will be a marathoner. Are you following a specific training program?

scoutruns: I also need a 3:40. What other marathons have you done?
Old 07-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #14  

Lesseee....

I've done the San Diego marathon twice, and the Rock & Roll marathon in San Diego once.

Just local races so far, so this is the first road trip for a race. I swore I'd never be that crazy.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:05 PM   #15  

Hi Tobey!

I'm following a beginner's plan that I found on runnersworld.com. It was perfectly suited to where I stood in my running and I picked it up just time to follow it the entire program to get ready for Chicago.

I registered yesterday and even stuck my neck out and purchased a Champion Chip. I mean, hey! This has gotta be a forever thing if I'm going to keep my weight off forever, right?
Closed Thread