Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 187/187/135

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Which Diet to Use?

My start date is Monday. I am getting the Gazelle set up this weekend with hubby's help. I used a target date when I quit smoking and this works for me. I just need to figure out what diet to follow.

I am debating counting calories, or maybe buying pre-made foods?

Any suggestions?

I need to lose 50 pounds.

Thanks!

Bobbi
b0bbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I use calorie counting and its working really well for me, but I would say its not for everyone. Some people get easily frustrated if they feel their counts aren't exact, so if you think this might happen to you, I would go with a different plan. I do love that nothing is off limits and can eat out and stay on plan *if I'm paying attention*.

I will say the reason I chose calorie counting was because I was too cheap to pay for something. I figured, since its free, I would try it first and then if it didn't work for me I could always switch to another plan, but it stuck.

If you chose calorie counting I would recommend using an app if you have a smart phone or one of the websites associated with the apps like Lose It! or My Fitness Pal. Their food databases are invaluable.

Good luck!
spetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am a calorie counter as well. I find it works best for me. You can go online as spetty suggested but it is not necessarry, Get a good calorie counting book, I like Calorie KIng but there are others.
Good luck, it is OK to experiment a bit until you find what works best for you.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-03-2012 at 10:07 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #4  

I use the South Beach Plan. Once you get use to it, and know how good you feel following it, you learn the right choices. And thanks to this forum I have learned there are so many choices. I am planning on this as a lifestyle change, not just something short term.

Good Luck with what works for you.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #5  

Thanks all for the replies! It helps! I will pick a method before Monday. :-)
Bobbi
Old 12-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #6  
Ratfancy

S/C/G: 155/155/145

Height: 5'2"

Default A good plan

I am 59 and the last two years I have been doing Ideal Protein in spurts. I lose 8 lbs., low-calorie for a while, then back on IP in a couple months. For me it become sustainable and I can do this. Four years ago I was 173 and today I am 143. I started out with Jenny Craig for two years, then IP for two years. So this has been a long-term plan for me. I loved Jenny, but after my first 15 lb. loss I quit losing. My girlfriend did IP and it was magic; like it was for me. My degree is in nutrition, so I was opposed to such a change in my eating habits to have more protein. However, at my age it is the only way I can lose and maintain a loss. I have whey isolate in coffee for breakfast (cappuchino - ummmm!), then protein soup with vegetables for lunch, sometimes a bite of protein bar in the afternoon, then meat and vegetables for dinner. I sneak a bite of banana now and then, sometimes add a little milk to coffee, but generally I'm not starving like I was on WW and JC. Data backed this up. Protein is very nourishing and keeps you feeling full. This is a low-carb low-fat diet. I don't take the IP vitamins because to me they are sorta wacky, so I shopped for my own, since I have the knowledge to make my own judgements. Anyway - I wish you the best of luck! We middle-age ladies need to support each other and prove success!
ratfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:14 PM   #7  
GmaTo8

Since losing weight is followed by a lifetime of maintenance, I suggest you find a program that you can imagine yourself doing for the rest of your life. The questions I asked myself are: Is it healthy? Does it suit my tastes? Is it easy enough to manage? Is it cost-effective for my budget? Does it fit in with real life? Can I actually lose on this program? Then I chose calorie counting, and I am particular in how I "spend" my calories. I like healthy foods that make me feel great, but I can have a treat once in awhile without going off program.

Everyone is different, though, so find something that works for you.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

Counting calories works if you are careful and not go over your limit. My problem was I was always hungry and so would eat too much esp in the evenings. Usually did fine during the day but my evening snacking would do me in every time. I never wanted to do the buying food thing but in sept I broke down and started the Medifast diet plan. It worked well for me as I could eat every 2-3 hours (I'm a snacker) and it filled me up. Some of the food I didn't care for but some is ok and even pretty good. The cost of it is not bad as these type programs go but still high for me. So I modified the plan somewhat in that I made up my own "Medifast" meals for 2 mini-meals and only used there products for the other three. Then one meal is lean protein and 1 1/2 cups of low-glycemic veggies which wasn't a problem for me. Our budget has gotten tighter recently though and last month I couldn't buy any products. I started branching out in my eating and haven't done nearly as well and gained 4# since Thanksgiving. Now I'm trying the calorie counting again along with using some MF products which help me. I just ordered some more products and I'll be glad when they get here as I'm tired of the ones I have. But they help me because they have lots of protein and fiber and are low carb in around 100 calories at each meal. It is difficult to do that with regular food. So I think now I'll combine the two ways...I'll continue to eat more of my own foods and count calories but will also use some of their products to help me keep full and on-track. I haven't done really well this week but hopefully will do better once the products arrive and already my weight is dropping very slowly.

I agree with Jane you have to find what works with our natural patterns and make the adjustments that will make you lose.

Last edited by maryea; 12-03-2011 at 04:26 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #9  
Less of a Better Me

I do a combination of Weight Watchers, calorie counting, and low carbish (mostly South Beach with a little bit of Atkins).

I just find that no one plan is perfect for me.

I like to calorie count so I know exactly how much I am eating and keeping track of that (I do it at livestrong) also allows me to keep count of my net carbs.

I do WW because weighing in every week and going to a meeting keeps me focused on my commitment to lose weight and sets a short term goal each week (i.e. I just think about wanting to have a loss when I weigh in. That is much more manageable that thinking about needing to lose 60 pounds).

I do low carbish -- mostly South Beach Diet for food type with carb counting from Atkins -- because I find that I stick to my plan better when I get rid of most refined carbs.

For me I want a plan that I can life with forever so I don't like anything that is overly restrictive (which is why I don't fully follow SBD). However, portion control is very important to me so I count calories and count WW points. I like WW because there are no forbidden foods (although obviously I have to watch portion control). I feel that I can continue what I am doing now forever with just eating a little more food when I get to goal.

However, everyone is different so a plan that works great for one person wouldn't work for someone else.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #10  

Thanks all for weighing in! I like a structured diet I think. I am still researching. Will let you all know what I decide on.
The comments help! Thanks again!

Bobbi
Old 12-03-2011, 05:55 PM   #11  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Count me as a calorie counter as well. I lost 77 pounds counting calories - basically eating whatever I wanted as long as I had the budgeted calories. If you have an iPhone or iPad or iPod, there's a great free app called LoseIt! that's easy for tracking. It now even has a barcode scanner to add food. Anyway, I regained 20 pounds in 2 years from not following my promise to log the rest of my life. Now that I'm logging again, adios 20 pounds. It really is easy. Even my DH is using the app and has lost 20 pounds. Hmm, I'd think I gained his if he hadn't lost just recently.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 189/158/128

Height: 5'2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bbi View Post
My start date is Monday. I am getting the Gazelle set up this weekend with hubby's help. I used a target date when I quit smoking and this works for me. I just need to figure out what diet to follow.

I am debating counting calories, or maybe buying pre-made foods?

Any suggestions?

I need to lose 50 pounds.

Thanks!

Bobbi
Bobbi-I have been on several diets, weight watchers, jenny craig, atkins, fitness for life, medi fast etc. I finally found one that works for me and that is Ideal Protein. You have to get the shake supplements from a dr or nutrionist, but it has worked for me. I was 188 am now 158 and going for 130. I hope you find the one that works for you and can keep it off forever. I believe that is the key. Keeping it off for the rest of your life and something that will fit your life style. Good luck and if you need any more suggestions or tips feel free to let me know.
billthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #13  

I think the calorie counting sounds the easiest. I don't do smart phones lol! My phone is dumb and I like it just fine that way

I am new to this whole dieting thing. I have never in my whole life had a weight problem until starting about two years ago, and this weight just came on and crept up on me and before I knew it - 50 pounds too much!! I really was ignoring it, and just a couple weeks ago, I realized and admitted that I am turning into a fatty. It's just about ALL in my tummy too! UGH

My big fear is that weight killed my mother. I just cannot let that happen to me! I feel sooooo huge. I am uncomfortable, out of breath, ... well, it just plain sucks.

I can do this though!!! And you all are helping me!!! Thank you all!

I appreciate all the help and the suggestions.

Bobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Count me as a calorie counter as well. I lost 77 pounds counting calories - basically eating whatever I wanted as long as I had the budgeted calories. If you have an iPhone or iPad or iPod, there's a great free app called LoseIt! that's easy for tracking. It now even has a barcode scanner to add food. Anyway, I regained 20 pounds in 2 years from not following my promise to log the rest of my life. Now that I'm logging again, adios 20 pounds. It really is easy. Even my DH is using the app and has lost 20 pounds. Hmm, I'd think I gained his if he hadn't lost just recently.
Marie
Old 12-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #14  

Wow, you are halfway there! I know I can do this! I just have to re-train myself that I just cannot eat whatever I want and as much as I want, like I used to do. I also think that getting more physically active will help as I have always been sedentary. It will be tough but I am determined!
Thanks so much for the comments and suggestions!
Bobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by billthecat View Post
Bobbi-I have been on several diets, weight watchers, jenny craig, atkins, fitness for life, medi fast etc. I finally found one that works for me and that is Ideal Protein. You have to get the shake supplements from a dr or nutrionist, but it has worked for me. I was 188 am now 158 and going for 130. I hope you find the one that works for you and can keep it off forever. I believe that is the key. Keeping it off for the rest of your life and something that will fit your life style. Good luck and if you need any more suggestions or tips feel free to let me know.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 189/158/128

Height: 5'2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bbi View Post
I think the calorie counting sounds the easiest. I don't do smart phones lol! My phone is dumb and I like it just fine that way

I am new to this whole dieting thing. I have never in my whole life had a weight problem until starting about two years ago, and this weight just came on and crept up on me and before I knew it - 50 pounds too much!! I really was ignoring it, and just a couple weeks ago, I realized and admitted that I am turning into a fatty. It's just about ALL in my tummy too! UGH

My big fear is that weight killed my mother. I just cannot let that happen to me! I feel sooooo huge. I am uncomfortable, out of breath, ... well, it just plain sucks.

I can do this though!!! And you all are helping me!!! Thank you all!

I appreciate all the help and the suggestions.

Bobbi
I was worried about weight and my heart. I gain weight around my middle as well and my mother had issues with strokes and cholestrol etc. I do not want that to be my undoing. i want to be healthy and i know that is not a size 0, I think that is sick. But i do want to be healthy and be able to move around with my kids and grandson. It is hard, but we have to watch once we get past 40 lol. At 46 i never realized how slow my metabolism was. You can do it and you are starting at a good point. You realized that things can get better and it will. If you need any support please let us know we are all on the same journey.
billthecat is offline   Reply With Quote