Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 AM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 206.5/173/173

Height: 5'3"

Default Ugh! Food is hard.

I bought a box of Trader Joe's chocolate covered liquor cherries today. It's not unusual for me to have junk food in the house, and I eat it in moderation without a problem. These seemed like a really good choice. They're just under 50 calories each, individually wrapped, dark chocolate, intensely flavored... all things that usually enhance my self control. The box was bigger than I really wanted, so I planned to throw the leftovers out when I was tired of eating them.

The first one was fine. I savored it. I took my time. The second one I ate much more quickly. When I wanted a third one, not long after a delicious dinner, I knew I was in trouble. When I started rationalizing that there really weren't -that- many calories in the whole box, I tossed them in the trash and carted them down to the dumpster.

WTH? Too much sugar for me in the "liquor", maybe. On the bright side, I only ate two, and I know not to buy them anymore. Ommnomnom did not win tonight!
flourless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #2  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

Way to win out over the craving! I'm ashamed to admit that I've thrown something into the garbage and then it back out to out (I can't take my food to a dumpster except on Tuesday and Friday mornings or else I get a stern talking-to by by landlord and neighbors).

Just keep making good decisions like this one and you'll be at goal before you know it!
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #3  
Country Girl Fresh

S/C/G: 325/313/195

Height: 5'4

That great you ate two and had the strength to throw out the rest. I can't throw out food. I always think back to when I didn't have any or small kids that dont have much or any food then makes me fee guilty. I will either give it to my bf or hide it from my self. My bf is diabetic so everything that is sweet is made or had artificial sweetener in it. We will occasionally get sugary foods but only once in awhile. My weakness is ice cream. I can't give up my mcdonalds LRG sweet tea so I will only have one once a week or every 2 weeks. I need more self control I know I can do it I just have to have the will power.
Countrybarbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/?/132

Height: 5'6"

Good for you!!! Better to waste it in the trash than waste it in your body!! I've actually spit food out mid-chew!
GonnaTurnHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #5  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Good for you!! I've actually spit food out mid chew too. I've thrown away perfectly good food, and I've run it down the garbage disposal if I think I might be crazy enough to go dumpster diving. I know what junk is safe to bring in to the house and what's not. Guess no more cherries for you! LOL! I'm glad you didn't justify just one more. Often, that's the hardest part.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #6  
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrybarbie24 View Post
I can't throw out food. I always think back to when I didn't have any or small kids that dont have much or any food then makes me fee guilty.
One of the diet books I read (I think it was Beck) wanted you to load a plate up with more food than you were going to eat, then intentionally throw out the leftovers. I was too cheap to go through the process, but I did manage to internalize that my overeating doesn't make other people less hungry. I was pretty well programmed that wasting food was a sin, so I understand the difficulty.

Eating them was going to move me further away from my goal. And make it harder for me to get moving in the right direction again. They just weren't worth it.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #7  
One day at a time

Thanks for the support, y'all.

And OMG, yes. It's just so hard to ignore the little voice that says "It's just one more - that's barely a blip on the calorie radar... what's it going to hurt?"
Old 12-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #8  
Country Girl Fresh

S/C/G: 325/313/195

Height: 5'4

yea it is hard to change your way of thinking after being in the mind set for so long. My bf gets on to me when I waste food lol. I have a habit of not eating all my food then putting the plate in fridge and never eat it again. Makes my bf so mad when I do that. I just can't help thinking about kids that don't have food when I throw it away I guess that why I let it go bad first.

Glad to hear you didn't eat any more you said no and got rid the temptation. Yea the goal is more important than the cherries where. Your health is way more important then any food. I know we need food for us to survive but the way I eat sometimes I know that I could survive off that for a long time.

My new way of thinking(well trying to think this way) is that food is only here for me to survive and live. The extra food is just that extra and has no place in body for it. I try to remember that a long time ago they didn't have the foods we do now and people lived on a lot less.

Keep up the good work. That little voice is the mean fat voice and it will hurt your weight lost. Atleast that what I keep telling my self about some foods and junk that I am wanting.

I am proud to say that today I have resisted eating any of my bf home made pound cake that his mama made for his birthday(it is the best and yummiest pound cake in the world)

Last edited by Countrybarbie24; 12-01-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Countrybarbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote