Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #1  

Default Finally weighed myself - some reflections

Since the beginning of my weight loss attempt (June), I decided not to weigh myself because I had a tendency in the past to get too obsessed with the numbers, and ultimately, that ended up discouraging me. So, I guessed that my weight was about 180 based on the fact that I was wearing 14's and seemed to be the heaviest I had ever been. Fast forward to now, and I am satisfied with how I look (no, I don't have a kick-a** body, but I'm not willing to put in the time and energy it would take to get it). I've been on what I estimate to be "maintenance" calories for the weight that I thought would be good for me (145). However, for the past month or so, I've thought that I was about 160, maybe high 150's. I decided today that I need to take some of the guess work out of the process and go ahead and weigh myself. So, I weighed at the gym (after having coffee & of course with my clothes on but no shoes), and I am 141. Wow! I'm shocked. On the one hand, I'm pleased. On the other hand, I need to re-evaluate my maintenance calories.

Also, I plugged in the numbers, and based on what I'm guessing my weight was, I must have been losing at a rate of at least 1.5-2 lbs a week to have lost this much weight since June. I was eating 1400 calories for most of my weight loss (up until the last month), so that means that I was running a 750-calorie deficit at least. That's a lot more than I thought I could eat.

So, here's what I've learned about weighing myself (pros & cons):

Pros
1) I did what I needed to do at the time by not weighing myself, and that worked out for me mentally; I just kept focusing on behaviors & didn't give up

2) I focused on size rather than weight & it's a big thrill to go down a size.

Cons

1) In a way, I sort of wish I did have a starting number; that would give me a better idea of the calorie deficit I was at, which would help me determine my maintenance calories.

2) Now that I do know how much I weigh, I think I'll have to keep monitoring my weight. I'm hoping that a once-a-month weigh-in (at most) will suffice. Does anyone here do this?

Thanks for reading. I hope that my experience might help those of us who choose not to weigh.

Last edited by lin43; 11-29-2011 at 10:45 AM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #2  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

That is awesome Lin!!! It's great that you found what works for you. I think this is also a good reminder to people who live and die by the scale.

Monday I was 4lb heavier than I was on Wednesday (I'm a daily weigher). Although it was unpleasant to see, I knew it was not the end of the world.

You've done a fantastic job!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/195/140

Height: 5'3"

That's great!!! I think its an awesome reminder that the scale isn't always the best indicator of progress, though it is a good way to keep yourself in check and maintain accountability.
ArtyKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Congrats! I've been trying to separate my feelings from the number on the scale, because I weigh myself before I workout. When I get a bad number, it tends to affect how I feel when I workout. It's great to know that you can do so well and not be attached to the scale!
MusicalAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #5  
STREET DOG

S/C/G: 231/230/145

Height: 5'8"

You've really done an amazing job listening to your body and staying on a plan that works for you, it seems! Congrats on your successes!

Personally, I'm still a daily weigher, but I've noticed that the bad days are so bad for me that I skipped a weigh-in after having a "big" weekend. I couldn't do once a month weigh-ins, but I like the idea of avoiding the self-hate by giving myself a buffer day or two to get back on track.
Kahokkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

What a good surprise! Thanks for posting.

I'm a once a month weigher- I also don't want to be attached to the scale (its not so good for my slightly obsessive mind).

I really like what you said about focusing on changing behaviors - you should elaborate, which behaviors?
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 AM   #7  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Congratulations on hitting your goal, that's awesome! I think the biggest truth to dieting is that you have to figure out what works for YOU and stick to it. Major props for figuring that out and sticking to it.

Personally, I'm a daily weigher and I was always advised not to weight daily because I'd obsess about the number. I've found the opposite to be true. Sometimes I might get annoyed but it's also reassuring to me to see low numbers on the scale that are infinitely lower than where I started. But, hey, it's what works for me and clearly it's not a universal truth.

It seems like monthly weighing would be just fine or another thing I've heard of people doing (that might work well will your philosophy) is finding a pair of super tight jeans that ONLY fit when you're at your goal weight. Then making sure to wear them once a week so that you know that they still fit.

Congrats once again!
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unna View Post
What a good surprise! Thanks for posting.

I'm a once a month weigher- I also don't want to be attached to the scale (its not so good for my slightly obsessive mind).

I really like what you said about focusing on changing behaviors - you should elaborate, which behaviors?
Thanks, Unna! Believe it or not, I focused on ditching the "all-or-nothing" thinking in all ways. For example, in past attempts, I would start gung-ho with exercise, forcing myself to get up at 5:00 a.m. (or earlier!) to go to the gym and work out on the usual machines (treadmill, elliptical, etc.). Eventually, even though I am a morning person, I would burn out. This time around, I just told myself that I would commit to getting one hour of some sort of activity most days of the week. My husband created a tread-desk for me some time back (Google it), and I'm on it when I work on the computer. However, I decided that even if I'm browsing the internet, I would get on it. That added many minutes (or hours ) to my exercise. Also, my house has never been so clean! When I didn't have computer work, I would vigorously clean (and there is always cleaning to do!). Most of the time, I exceed my one-hour goal. Now, I'm taking fitness classes at the gym as well (just because I like to, not because I'm forcing myself). Also, I started moving more in general. For instance, instead of sitting while I'm waiting for the coffee to brew, I'll wash dishes or straighten or dust, or something--anything. I truly believe that the increase in everyday activity made a big difference in how much weight I lost. I've lost weight by calorie counting in the past, and but I didn't lose as fast as I did this time, and it's been at least 6 years since I've dieted (so, I'm older and theoretically, I should lose slower).

Sorry for the long post! I'm just excited and wanted to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfromfat View Post
Personally, I'm a daily weigher and I was always advised not to weight daily because I'd obsess about the number. I've found the opposite to be true. Sometimes I might get annoyed but it's also reassuring to me to see low numbers on the scale that are infinitely lower than where I started. But, hey, it's what works for me and clearly it's not a universal truth.
That's funny---I've heard the opposite. I remember reading that book Thin for Life and learning that most people who have lost weight and kept it off weigh themselves daily. I wish I could view my scale weight scientifically like you and others do because if I could, then weighing more frequently wouldn't be a problem.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #9  

Oh, one more thing I wanted to share with anyone who counts calories and is interested: I start calorie counting for the "day" with dinner. Dinner is my most unpredictable meal, so it helps me to start counting with it as I find it easier to control the calories of breakfast and lunch. When I initially tried it, I didn't like it because I was loose with when "dinner" officially starts. But once I settled on a time (5:00) when the food I eat counts for "dinner," I have been consistent with it, and it has made staying within my range so much easier.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 AM   #10  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Lin, you've done wonderfully and you're such an inspiration to all of us I don't know if I could have lost the weight without the scale, but you certainly show everyone that it's possible to get rid of that and lose weight. I really admire you for ditching the scale and sticking with your plan!

Congratulations on your achievements!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I'm so glad you posted this. I was | | <-- that close to posting on here myself, inquiring if anyone has thrown out their scale during their weightloss (and not just out the window because they're fed up!).
Once I'm doing the low-carb diet, I feel good, lots of energy, positive attitude, my complexion is better, etc... but if I get on the scale and see that I didn't lose even one pound in a week, then I get fed up and give up. So this time around, I'm going to chuck my scale (well, have my husband keep our wii balance board in his car, actually lol) and just base my weight loss/healthier life style off of how I FEEL, rather than numbers. It was all too easy for me to get so discouraged and give up after weeks of work... well, not so much work, but weeks of not eating junk! I go back to the doctor in January, so I'll see what happens then. Congrats!
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #12  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

I'm just starting back but am a once a week weigher. However, the past many, many, many months I've felt my clothes getting tighter and tighter. Finally broke down and purchased a pair of jeans two size bigger than what I was wearing and am stuck in my 'I'll wear this cause it's the only thing that fits' clothes. <sigh> Looking forward to getting back into my other jeans and getting to the point of having them too loose.

Sometimes the scale doesn't move but your clothes are looser; sometimes the scale jumps down but the clothes feel the same. What a rollercoaster!
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sontaikle View Post
Lin, you've done wonderfully and you're such an inspiration to all of us I don't know if I could have lost the weight without the scale, but you certainly show everyone that it's possible to get rid of that and lose weight. I really admire you for ditching the scale and sticking with your plan!

Congratulations on your achievements!
Thank you!!

ELBS717, I like what so many others posted on this forum: The only way you can fail is to stop trying.

Looseseal, I know the feeling of having to buy a larger size---it stinks! But it's more important to feel comfortable. Just before I started, I was on the verge of buying new underwear because mine were getting so small that they were cutting into my thighs (I know ---TMI!)

Last edited by lin43; 11-30-2011 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/171/152

Height: 5'5

I weigh myself everyday. I probably shouldn't, but that is how I like to do it.
If weighing yourself once a month is how you feel comfortable doing it. Then more power to you!
Keep up the good work!
I believe in you!
Tessa
tessilette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 158/158/125

Height: 5'4

Congrats! That's a great pleasant surprise!
I actually decided to abandon the scale as well because I found myself to become obsessed wit the numbers when I'm dieting and I'm trying to focus on the inner feelings of well-being, body image, and noticing when I'm full and when I need to eat. It's hard but I'm trying and I know eventually it will become second nature (or so the books say..) I am however eating at a calorie allowance of 1200 which is what the weight loss calorie allowance is for my weight and my goal.
sensualappeal is offline   Reply With Quote