Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 11-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/143/130

Height: 5'6

Default Post-Weight Loss Insecurity

Accepting any advice-

I have lost around 50 pounds within the last year. The reason I lost this weight was to feel more comfortable in my body, and confident in my own skin. However, sometimes I can't help but think I have become harder on myself. Before, I did not work out much and if I did it was for short ineffective amounts of time. I did not watch what I ate. I was insecure but for the most part happy. Now, I try to work out at least 3 or 4 times a week, and eat between 1000-1400 calories a day. I find myself more critical of my appearance, feel extremely guilty if I overeat, and I feel that I look fat when everyone disagrees. I have a bad back-and-forth relationship with food because sometimes I feel I am depriving myself and other times I feel I ate too much. I went from a size 10/12 to a 0/2 and I feel like I still look the way I did in my big jeans. It's like I can't see it.

Is this common after losing a significant amount of weight?
Kay528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #2  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

Looking around this site I would say it's very common. And I could have pretty much written that post myself!!

Personally I have good days and bad days. Takes a while for your brain to catch up with the weightloss

ETA- maybe try and focus on the positives - you've dropped clothes sizes, you're fitter because you work out regularly and you're working on your relationship with food. If you're feeling like you look the way you did in your bigger jeans remember those things because you have accomplished so much and you've lost a lot of weight and no doubt look amazing!

Last edited by Jadeybaby; 11-16-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 168/148/135

Height: 5'8"

First, congratulations!! Second, while I havent lost nearly as much weight as you yet, I understand. I'm on plan and workout nearly everyday. But last week was a friends wedding and I had dinner, cake, booze. Logically, I'd say that's ok. It's a special event and it's ok to overeat (but not binge) in that case. But I felt veryyyy guilty for a good 3 days. I'm wondering how I'll do with this when I get to maintenance time.
lissvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #4  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

I have days when I have similar difficulties; I think it's very common. I find that I sometimes compare myself to others and not to how I looked before, which is not only unrealistic, but harmful to my self esteem.

I think the best way to deal with it is to constantly remind yourself of how far you've come. Be proud of all that you've accomplished and for every step you take to continue your healthy lifestyle!
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: i was 70kgs i am now 64kgs

Height: 5ft 1

Im having a fat day today! Im just not happy with EVERYTHING i try on even though my BF says i look fine and lovely.

So what i do is go through my photos from a year or more ago and think omg was that really me?

My BF always says you forget how big you used to be and its good to remind yourself of all the hard work you have done to get how you are now! and be proud of yourself!

Like everyone else says we all have days like this and even if we all got to our goal weight/size we will still have days like these
Marmot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

Please tell me you've saved some of your older/bigger jeans? If you ever feel like you haven't changed, just put them on and see the difference.

Also, how long ago did you reach your goal? If it was recent check out posts about 'phantom fat' and posts about how the brain requires a while to catch up to your new body's look.
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:13 AM   #7  
This time, it's forever..

S/C/G: 187/154/120

Height: 5'6

Hi friend. I feel like it's me that wrote that post.

We have similar stats:

YOU : S/C/G: 188/143/130 -5'6
ME : S/C/G: 187/145/125 - 5'6

I TOTALLY understand how you feel. I lost the weight, now I'm still stuck at my own insecuruties of life. I thought that when I lost the weight, my life would magically become perfect. But it didn't.

It can take a while for our minds to catch up with our bodies.

I agree with taking a photo of yourself now at your current weight. Then go look back at a picture of a year back. I gaurantee you WILL see the difference.

Accept and love yourself
melodymist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 301/147/147

Height: 5'8"

I totally understand what you are saying here, for the first 2 years of maintenance I felt that way a lot of the time. Even now I think my perception if my size is distorted at times. For instance, I was at the gym the other night and on the treadmill. There are a line of mirrors in front of the machines and I looked across to where this older woman was running. I thought 'she has a nice figure' then realised I was not dissimilar to her in height and shape.
Now, 4 years on, I have settled into this new body and have totally stopped weighing myself, which is liberating. You will get used to the smaller you and settle into a weight that works for you. Maintenance is still a steep learning curves in lots of ways.
lossforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #9  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Time my friend, all I can say is time. Yes I still feel insecure, often in fact, but I have come to accept many things about my "new" body and am - in time - coming out of my shell, trying new things and feeling more comfortable with maintenance and the lifestyle it takes to continue to maintain.

What you're feeling is not uncommon at all, and I hope that you are able to find that balance and acceptance, but for now, don't be so hard on yourself and know that you'll get there in time.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 169/124/124

Height: 5'4"

I could have wrote your post because I am exactly the same way. My starting and end weight/size are the same as yours. I still look in the mirror and see myself as a size 12. Funny but before I never thought I was 50lbs overweight. I thought maybe 20 lbs max.

I get a reality check when I see my new self in pictures. That helps me to relax on the eating and exercise. I'm extremely hard on myself. I do enjoy my workout time and will be disappointed if I can't do it due to illness or other obligations.
Prism21 is offline   Reply With Quote