Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 02:42 PM   #1  

Default In Need of Serious HELP! Arent we all?

Hi YALL!

I just found this board and was very excited to see all of you on here. Let me tell you a little about me. I am 25 yrs old, I live in Ennis, TEXAS, I am 5*10 300 lbs. I have been overweight all of my life. I have lost 30-50 lbs here and there but It ALWAYS comes back. There is no big secret as to why I am fat, I LOVE TO EAT. At every family gathering, in every memory I can recall what we ate and just how wonderfull it was. So this is the basics of me.

My problem = I AM SO SICK OF DIETING!! I Am also so sick of being FAT! So what do you do? I have been on and off of Atkins since Feb, I have lost about 30lbs, but It has just gotten so boring. I like the way I feel on the diet (more energy, less headaches) but It is just so hard to stay with. I know this sounds like a pitty party - but I am just sort of fed up with both problems. Any suggestions? I am open for any advise anyone would like to give - PLEASE HELP!! THANKS -
Old 07-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #2  
Is it Friday yet?

Howdy!

Sorry, couldn't resist! I have family in Mesquite and it's so easy to slip into a draaawl.... even though I'm a Californian born Oregon-ite!

First off, welcome aboard! Most people start of like you, a single post, then end up (like me) joining one of the various groups 'round here (3 years and almost 1000 posts later!). Find a group that speaks to you - there's a 300+ group, 21 day challenge, a bootcamp and the group o' ladies I run screaming to for help is the Labor Day Loosers. It's not necessary that you join a group - but the friendship and support you get is well worth it and much different that what you get posting by yourself.

Now, on to your question. It's going to sound crazy, but you've got to stop dieting. In my short life, I've lost 60 pounds, gained back 90, then lost 85 and gained back 110 - and now I'm 40+ pounds back into loosing that chunk - for the *last time* I swear it!

I've always done Weight Watchers, but with the thought of it being a "diet". I was SO wrong. It has to be a way of living for the rest of your life - forever - or as long as you want to stay at whatever weight you want . Saying that, *whatever* you choose must be something that you can live with for the rest of your life. Can you live on Atkins? Can you live on WW? Can you live on any of the other plethora of plans out there? Sure, you just have to find out which one works for you. WW works for me, it may not for you - you have to find what will work for your lifestyle, 'cuz you're going to pretty much eat like that for the rest of your life if you want to be healthy... and believe me, with family in Texas, Arkansas and Oklahoma, I *know* what those family gatherings are like!!!! Food is a huge part of it and you have to find something that will work (have I said that enough? I'm repeating myself aren't I?).

Now that I've probably just totally rained on your parade (and you thought Hurricane Claudette was over?? ) let me say this. I FEEL your pain. I LOVE to eat too. At first, I *hated* my decision to eat like this. Read my journal - there's a story in there about feeling very, very sad about leaving my old habits. I literally mourned being able to eat my favorite foods in the quantities I wanted. But I got to a point where I felt I *deserved* better. I deserved to treat my body better, live longer and most of all I deserved to be happier - and SO DO YOU - but quit dieting, it doesn't work. The old saying is too true.

I applaud your coming here. Asking/looking for support is a huge step and believe me, you're going to get it here! Just find a group that speaks to you, that you can connect with, that works and jump in! The support, encouragement and feeling of having someone to be accountable to is wonderful...

Sorry for the novel, there was just something about your post that made my mouse jump over and click "reply".

Terri
(Labor Day Loosers, Punkin o' Friday)
Old 07-16-2003, 03:24 PM   #3  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Kara and welcome aboard the good ship 3FC . I had to comment here because some of what you said exactly pertains to me, especially the part about remembering family gatherings and what we ate--just check out my journal after every (and I mean every) weekend BBQ...

Congratulations on your loss of 30 lbs, that is a great accomplishment in itself. I have no real words of wisdom for you since I myself have been in a stall for a few months. My motivation waxes and wanes and during the up times it's just not enough to lose anything and so I'm trying my best to maintain what I've lost. But as I'm sure you've heard before, losing weight should be about making a life change--in the way we eat and think about food. It's not just a "diet" to lose weight, it should be something permanent that we'll do for the rest of our lives. Sure restricting certain food groups may get off the pounds but could you really eat like that the rest of your life? I know I couldn't, I enjoy all types of food (which is stating the obvious ) but hope to learn how to modify and incorporate these foods into my daily diet and still lose weight and be healthy.

Best of luck to you on your journey to a slimmer, healthier you.

If you'd like, come check out the "Weighty Issues" thread in the support forum started by angieME. We're a bunch of friendly ladies at all different stages of weight loss and we're always ready to welcome a new face.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:26 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Hi Kara

I know what you mean! I started Atkins last October, and lost quite a bit in the beginning. I knew that this was going to be a life long thing for me, because I was tired of being fat too.

What has worked for me to avoid the boredom. At least once a week, pick a new recipe from the many low carb boards and try it. I love to eat too, and the tastier the better. Ive found some wonderful recipes and now they are some weekly staples.

Its not a diet, its a life change. Especially when you know that going back to the old ways packs back on the pounds quicker than you can count (like me). Im happier now even though there are days I hate eating like this. Those few down days far outweigh how I was feeling before, every single day.

I hope this helps
Robin
Old 07-16-2003, 04:01 PM   #5  
Empress/Queen

Hi, Kara!!! I think you've gotten some excellent responses above!! And like Punkin up there (who, BTW, is the of Friday), I applaud your coming here and declaring your honest feelings about the journey. I hang out on the 21-day challenge and Labor Day Loosers as of now (I'm flighty and we never know where I'll be) and look forward to seeing you around the boards.

I agree with the advice to stop dieting and start making lifestyle changes that you'll live with when you reach your goal weight. Because, Kara, you WILL reach that goal. It WILL happen. For some people (like me), it takes a LONG (really, really, really long) time, for some it is quicker. But we DO get there and you must never, never, never give up on it! It is worth doing.

Later, gator!!!

Old 07-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #6  

WOW - Yall are all so great! Thank you so much for the advise. Ya know at the rate we are going..we could all just wait a bit and the rest of the world will catch up and we will be the "normal" ones.. lol -

I am going to do some searching tonight and decide exactly what I want to do. It really looks like WW is the way to go . All I know is that I have to do something. And you are all right it is a LIFE change. I am a memeber of Fit Figures (we like to refer to it as Fat Figures - at least I can joke about it...cause lord knows Im not going like I should) It is Curves in a nut shell. I am really down today.. and I know yall dont like whining, SO i am stopping.. Im getting upbeat. I am going to beat this... I dont know when but at least one week of my life - I WILL BE HEALTHY!!

Thanks again so much for all the time that yall took to respond..It truly makes me feel SO welcome. Thanks again.. and I will be getting in on one of those groups very soon.

Thanks Kara

I am in a very mood - So I had to dress up my post...
Old 07-16-2003, 06:12 PM   #7  
The ever shrinking woman!

I agree with everyone here, and I will tell you that Weight Watchers is the only thing that has EVER worked for me, ever.

and it's not a diet, it's a way of life, I will always keep track of points, whether it's to drop a few pounds or maintain my weight, I will always be concious of it, I like it, and I really think it works =)

good luck, and grats on your progress so far!
Old 07-17-2003, 11:48 AM   #8  
Is it Friday yet?

I'm glad we could help Kara...

It's been a long time, but I'll offer the help anyway - during the longest "thin period" of my life (3 years), I was a Weight Watcher leader. I can still teach the point system in my sleep (after doing it 500 times in 3 years!) so if you have any questions, ask away! If I can't answer it, you KNOW someone can!

Bestest of luck to you!

Terri
Closed Thread