Old 11-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Default Scared of Piling on "Hybernation Pounds" During Winter

It's easier for me to stay motivated during the summer when light clothing makes fat and bulges obvious. Also, when the weather is warmer, I tend to drink more fluids (lots of ice water) and not have as big of an appetite.

However, during the winter months, wearing coats and cozy sweaters make it easier to hide the pounds. Also, I am not as thirsty and have a hard time getting all my water for the day. Plus, I want hot hearty meals that warm me and stick to my ribs - not a cold salad or something light.

How can I make sure that come springtime I am not facing a weight gain and going into another summer obese and feeling bad about myself?
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #2  

Height: 5'1

Smile

im concerned about those things too, im tired of obese summers!! its TOO easy to hide under sweatshirts, blankets and layers of warm clothes. and the comfort foods, oh boy... i have a terrible habit of cooking hearty meals in the winter, like biscuits and gravy for example. maybe together we can come up with alternatives to avoid that problem, like healthier comfort foods, or having the good ones less often? and by working together, maybe, just MAYBE, we can actually step into summer feeling and looking FABULOUS!!
chicklett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #3  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

I have decided to try out a boot camp class this winter. I purchased a punch card deal from LivingSocial and I plan to give it a try this winter. It is going to be a week or so before I have time to join but I am going to try doing this 2 evenings a week as well as doing my regular exercise in the mornings.
My advice would be to try a different exercise class maybe???
I also have a picture posted by my desk of me before and me at 160 to look at when I want to eat stuff I should not.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

My secret warm food weapons:

Decaf tea. I drink it all day on cold days. My favorite is candy cane green tea from Trader Joe's.

Soup. I had a huge bowl of lentil vegetable soup for lunch today for only 260 calories.

Spaghetti squash. You can have a huge serving with butter for less than 150 cals. It's warm and comforting. Of course, you have to like the taste of squash for this one.
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, I've found that I really need the support of a weight loss club. I need it all year, but I don't think I could get through the holidays without it.

In fact, most of my life, I'd joing WW or TOPS in October or November, and I'd quit by Easter (convinced that I could do it on my own, during nicer weather).

Weighing daily and attending my weekly meeting, is extremely helpful all year, but especially this time of year, because you realize you're not "the only one" struggling (or the only one turning down the holiday treats).

A food journal really is the way to go, to avoid overeating - no matter what time of year. Planning ahead, ideally at least a day ahead, or more if you're uber-organized (I'm not). Planning ahead is hard for me, but it works great when I do.

Hubby and I did great at our YMCA in October, because we joined a program they were running where we could earn a free sweatshirt by attending 12 days of exercise. We're planning on joining their 3 month "Commit to Fit" program as well (in addition to 4 sessions with a fitness instructor, we get a water bottle after the first month, and a t-shirt at the end of the program).

The incentive is small, but it's something to focus on.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #6  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

I tend to stay snuggled on the couch in the winter when getting up and moving will actually do a better job of making me feel warmer. I know this in my mind but getting up to get warm seems counterintuitive. So that's my goal this winter to get up and move more during the day.

I'm also thinking of splitting my workouts into two shorter workouts for an extra boost, I usually do that in the hot summer but it might work to keep me warmer thoughout the day.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #7  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Wow, I love the advice you got! We don't really have that hibernation problem here because the weather is finally nice enough to venture outdoors. I love winter because my body doesn't hold water as much so my losses are more consistent from week to week. If I don't eat my own weight in food, that is.....

But like you, it's harder to get my water in because I'm just not thirsty. I bought a big water bottle, my Power Jug from Powerbottle USA, and I fill that in the morning. I make it my goal to finish it by the end of the day. I still have to make some effort to remind myself to drink from the bottle frequently, but at least I have a visual goal.

I also weigh myself every day and maintain a food/exercise diary. This is my strongest tool for staying accountable and on track.

I find that trying to stay in comfy jeans is a real motivation too. The clothes may be bulkier, but striving to look great in a pair of jeans is a great goal!

I love spaghetti squash! I was thinking about making some tonight since I'm not planning on cooking and can make something light for myself.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote