Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #1  
one more time...

S/C/G: 183/157.8/133

Height: 5'4" no, 5'5"! I grew!

Default losing too fast? (re: carb levels)

I have PCOS and IR. I've known this for years, but this week I finally decided to lower my carbs since I was sick of losing 1/2 pound a week and everything I've read said I needed to drop carbs to lose weight because of the PCOS and IR.

I dropped my carb level from ~150 a day to 100 net a day. That was Sunday, and I've lost 4.2 pounds since then. Is this normal or too fast? I feel fine, and my calories are between 1200-1600, depending on the day. I honestly wasn't expecting this much of a loss so soon, since my carb level isn't super low.

This is my first experience with low carb, and I'm floored with the results so far. A question for the more experienced - how long does the initial fast loss last? And what was your average loss after that? Before I started this I was lucky to lose 1/2 pound a week, so anything faster than that would be great!

PS I just realized after posting that my weight today matches my ticker for the first time in nearly a year!

Last edited by booskibabe; 11-17-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: funny realization
booskibabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I think the worry would be if you lost 4.2lbs for another and another week.
I've found (only talking personal experience, not medical advice) that even when I've been dieting some other way, when I change to lower carb I get a big first drop because it does release a lot of water.

This is not a bad thing because If you have been carrying excess water, then it's been masking your weightloss. It doesn't continue though because
a) there's only so much excess water you can lose
b) the body can sometimes react in panic to a high loss by retaining more water the next week, as a defence mechanism. Mine does anyway but it gradually relaxes and lets it go again.

My losses on low carb This Time so far have been:
and that's with a lot to go, so I think it's unlikely you'll keep losing at that rate - but well done on this first whoosh!

ps - just wow on the knittable art! wow! I know what I'm going to treat myself to when I hit some goals!

Last edited by Rosinante; 11-18-2011 at 03:59 AM.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #3  
one more time...

That makes me feel better, thank you! I've definitely lost that puffy feeling, which is nice. The whoosh is a such a surprise for me because I didn't think my Carb level was low enough (as in ketosis) to cause a big induction-like drop.

And I get to finally lower my ticker!! 164.6 today.

I'm glad you like my art! Can't wait to help you celebrate.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #4  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

Yes, I second that. The first week that you cut out carbs, your body releases the water that it has been holding because it needs it to process carbs. It's still weightloss, but if you go back to eating carbs, that same amount of water (or very close) will come back because it is the amount YOUR body needs to process carbs. I also have PCOS with IR and I am low carbing, bit I stick to 70 or less carbs. Find what works for you and stick to it. I have zero hunger and SO Much more energy. Congrats on moving the ticker!
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #5  
one more time...

A little update...

It's been two weeks now and I lost 5 pounds the first week, and 3 pounds this week. I'm almost giddy at this point, because the only time I've ever lost this much this quickly was after I had my kids. My hunger has drastically improved, the belly bloat has dropped significantly, and my jeans are too big.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.... maybe it won't? Hmmm. Off to search 3FC for weight loss stories.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

That's lovely! I think 8lbs in the first 2 weeks of low carb sounds splendid. And I was following a blog for a while of someone who regularly lost well over 2lbs a week until he reached goal (50lbs off). It doesn't happen to me but I think my body's reacting to 40 years of on/off dieting!
Good luck for the next week!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 417/353.6/250

Height: 5'3

my intial weight drop was huge (15lbs the first week) I have alot more to loose (was at 417lbs) until recently I was averaging prob 5 lbs a week. I have slowed to prob 2lbs a week. Im struggling with the other shoe dropping now, but remind me self that weightloss is not weight gained and that is all that matters. Stay with it, I find that I am an extreme, but I have been on this for 13 weeks and down 65.2 already. You will do great and will reach your goal and lifestyle
ALG918 is offline   Reply With Quote