WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #1  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Default free fruit points

I am trying to decide between the old plan and the new plan, but the fact that fruit is free on the new plan is making me skeptical.

I was going to ask what everyone's general feeling about the fact that fruit is free was? Meaning, do you think it has helped or hurt your weight loss efforts?

Thank you!
Kat
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:58 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Fruit is not "free". It is Zero Points.

It might seem like a small thing, but it's really very important to the Points Plus plan to note the difference, and in order to make sure (if you choose to use the PP plan) that you get the most out of it.

Here's how it works:

-Most fruits, and vegetables are Zero Points.

-In conjunction with that, the Good Health Guidelines of the program state that we should eat about 5-8 servings of fruits and vegetables each day.

-A serving size for most fruits and vegetables is half a cup. (Green leafy veggies like lettuce are 1 full cup.) As an example, ONE banana is often TWO servings, because bananas are so large.

-The calories from those fruits and vegetables are already built into your daily allotment. The system assumes you're eating between 5-8 servings.

- Most of those servings should be coming from vegetables.

- They are not free. They are merely already built into the system and are counted as Zero Points.

All that being said, there's a trial and error part of the plan when it comes to fruit (and truly there's trial and error with any way of eating). There are people who can eat plenty and it doesn't hinder them. Then there are others who've realized if they have more than two or three servings a day that they are consuming too much.

In the end, I have found it to be immensely helpful in that the Points Plus program encourages me to eat more fruits and vegetables overall.

On the old plan the old "this snack is 2 points versus this 2 points piece of fruit" was sometimes a hindrance to me choosing wisely. That's certainly not the reality for everyone, but it was for me.

I monitor my intake of fruit. Usually not having more than 3 pieces a day. And I feel good about the fact that it's already built into the plan. It's been a positive thing for me.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I love the new plan. For my zero point (not free) fruit I usually have an orange and will then have maybe an apple. I'm not gorging on fruit, or eating beyond a feeling of semi-fullness.

I do tend to eat a lot of butternut squash, 2 cups have 164 calories and 12 grams of fiber. It's delicious roasted and fills me up and is sweeter than most fruit too!
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #4  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Oh, I see. That makes much more sense. I get it. Ok, I think I will go sign up and give the PP a shot then.

Thank you for your kind replies,
Metta,
Kat
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote