Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 07:44 PM   #1  
si, si signora

Default Thin for life - Week of July 14th

Happy Bastille Day!

I'm back from SD, the hershey's won-- I'm sorry to say. It was the evil TOM. Usually not a problem at home, because that stuff isn't around our house. My mom put it out for the realtors and I got to it first! However, NGAMO.

I'm back and happy to be in the office and chez lala. Its lighter in here than the convention center.

On the plus side, I did exercise every day I was in SD. The food wasn't such a problem, but I'm sure I'm up.

Susan-- I hope your dad is doing better.

How is everyone else doing?

Everyone else -- hiya! I'm ready to get rolling on the next challenge....

lala
Old 07-14-2003, 09:42 PM   #2  

Hey, Lala, how are you?
It's been a long while since I have popped in on this thread, but I saw you on a thread at general and decided since I have a few extra minutes I would pop in!
How is everyone else doing?
I have been lazy and unmotivated, and have hovered in the same place for months now. I am slowly starting to gain, so today is the day to get back at it!
Right now I am hiding in my basement, trying not to hear my dd crying. We are trying to get her to go to sleep on her own, in her crib. This is night #2, and it is killing me! Last night I did a lot of stress eating while I waited for her to cry it out! Oh well, it has to get better soon!
Hope you have all been well!
Old 07-15-2003, 07:31 AM   #3  

Height: 6'0"

lala: I never knew anyone who went to South Dakota. Was it interesting? Sorry about the Hershey's attacking you.

Tara: that has to be so rough listening to your little one cry. It's really best though. She needs to be on her own and more independent.

I played golf for the first time ever on Sunday--it was pretty bad. No, correction, it was very bad, but I had fun. It's a tough game.

Hello to Susan and Melissa!!
Old 07-15-2003, 11:47 AM   #4  

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone! It was a crazy Monday here with lots of phone calls and orientation stuff to attend to. One more to go!!!

Lala: Some months are better than others for me pre-TOM and there are ones that anything that's not nailed down is open game for me.

Saskie: Hi there! I remember the days/nights of trying to get DS to sleep and the crying that ensued. It really does work by letting them cry and find a way to pacify themselves. I think it's harder on the parent. You'll make it through!

Domina: I tried hitting a golf ball in our yard and swung 4 times before actually hitting the darn thing...it looks so easy when you watch someone.

This past weekend was on the busy side--DS went to orientation on Sunday and it was interesting to see the "other side". The upcoming weekend is just as busy--Saturday evening I'm walking in the Relay for Life and Sunday we have a WW meeting so I'll be busy. I'm looking forward to vacation the week of the 27th...

Hope everyone else is doing well!
Old 07-15-2003, 12:05 PM   #5  

Hi guys. Back to work after an extended long weekend.

We were able to take my Dad home on a weekend pass but he's back in hospital as of yesterday - probably until Thursday. It's a mystery to me why he has to be there while awaiting test results. He is not being treated - just sitting around taking up space. This break in routine is very difficult for him.

Despite all of the upheaval, I had a good weekend, visiting with the family and friends. I even had a lobster - delicious! I've managed to maintain last week's loss, and eating continues to be pretty good, all things considered (except for the chocolate consumed in the car on the way home yesterday).

Tara: Good to hear from you. Did you make it through Night #2 without caving? Hang in there - it's the right thing to do!

lala: Welcome back. Were you really in South Dakota? I thought it was San Diego... Regardless, it must feel good to be back to your routine.

Melissa: Will your son be attending university close to home?

Domina: I tried golf several years ago with similar results. I was terrible, but I can see how hitting a good one from time to time could get you hooked. I'm in no danger of that happening.

Another lonely week here in the office due to summer vacation. A good time to get caught up on things, but it's difficult having no one to take your mind off work from time to time.
Old 07-15-2003, 12:51 PM   #6  

Susan: You're probably right. I saw SD and assumed South Dakota. Lala does travel to San Diego often. Sorry your father is back in the hospital.

Melissa: Woo--you've been busy.
Old 07-15-2003, 01:32 PM   #7  
si, si signora

Hi everyone,

Domina -- It was indeed San Diego. I have been to SD though, it was interesting. We drove through, spent the night in Sioux Falls and went to the Corn Palace and Wall Drug. Housing prices are good though, no air service though.

I do love SD, but I couldn't live there. Its just too sunny.

Golf -- my brother's new game of choice. I would love to play, but I'm a bit impatient. Didn't Mark Twain say that it was a good excuse for a walk?

Tara -- I also hope that you all made it through night #2. Things here (my body) have been pretty stagnant. I am exercising, but no loss. Guess I need a kick start.

Melissa-- Is DS going to the college/uni that you work for? That would be neat, to see him occasionally for lunch.

Susan -- Its strange, in the US, they would have your father out of the hospital in a flash. Does he seem bored at the hospital? I am keeping my fingers crossed that you get good news.

Nothing new here. We received a 27 lb halibut and two white king salmon yesterday from a friend who fishes yesterday. DP filleted them last night and we vacuumed sealed them. I am sick of fish already. I decided to have a strawberry smoothie for dinner instead of fish.

Maybe I should only make chocolate for dinner, then I wouldn't eat it.

Oh well, I guess I should get cracking. Work is piling up and I need to find a new programmer.

lala
Old 07-15-2003, 03:07 PM   #8  

Susan: I hope you get good news with your dad. Here in the states you're in and out so quick...they don't keep you for anything! Congrats on maintaining! That's always a bonus after being away from home. I know what you mean about the office being quieter than normal--I'll have that the first week of August when my boss is gone. It's so hard sometimes to get motivated to do work.

My DS will be attending the univeristy where I work--I'm happy that he decided to attend here. It'll save him a lot of $$$ in the long run since he gets free tuition. All those years of small raises are now paying off I'm sure I'll see him from time to time when he's on campus. I never thought that I'd be here as long as I have.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:38 AM   #9  

Melissa: Free tuition - how wonderful. If tuition costs are anything like they are here, that's a great benefit.

lala: With all the horror stories we hear about the strain on Canada's health care system, I thought they would have Dad out the door as quickly as possible.

Domina: Has the heat let up any in Florida?

We have a partial diagnosis - obtained from a social worker who was in to see Dad yesterday about his medical coverage. Seems the drug they are thinking of prescribing is extremely expensive and not covered by all private plans. It sounds as though he has chronic myeloid leukemia, but we've yet to hear that officially.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:52 PM   #10  
si, si signora

Susan-- You haven't checked in, but I am hoping that your dad has stabilized. Medications are soo expensive and even with socialized medicine, not everything is covered. The healthcare system on the other side of the border isn't all that great either.

Everyone else-- how are you doing? I am really suffering from malaise. I left my pizza in the car (its veggie) to not have a reason to snack on it earlier than lunch.

Any good plans for the weekend? I was thinking of going up to Vancouver with DP to attend the Vancouver Folk Music Festival -- believe it or not, two performers that I like are playing. However, I think I better stay home with DD and DC and lots of chores. We spend entirely too much time together (even at conferences). It might be good to have a break.

I realize that I'm about 8 weeks away from Paris and the desire to actually purchase a frock or sweater instead of the usual purse, accessories. So I better get cracking.

lala
Old 07-18-2003, 07:56 AM   #11  

Happy Friday!

We're in the home stretch here with the orientations--this Sunday/Monday marks the last summer session! Can you see the big grin on my face??? The summer flies by with the programming but the best part is that my vacation is a week away!

The goal these past weeks has been to maintain my weight--I'd much rather be losing but with everything that has been going on it's next to impossible so I figure I'm better off accepting that it's okay to maintain and then once August hits I can focus on losing those stubborn pounds that refuse to take leave.

We had a loud thunder/lightning storm last evening, or should I say early this morning (4 a.m.) that shook the house. It even woke the boys up!

Weekend plans are to get caught up with some much needed housework. Sunday I'm headed off to Buffalo for a WW meeting. Not much else going on here.

Susan: Hope things are going well with your dad.

Lala: I have done the same thing with food--leave it where I can't access it. Some days are better than others, aren't they?

Domina: Hi!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!
Old 07-18-2003, 08:18 AM   #12  

Good morning.

Well, the diagnosis is in, and it is chronic myleoid leukemia. My brother called last night to give me the details, but I was exhausted and asleep before 9 pm. I'll get in touch with him tonight.

I'll admit I'm a bit apprehensive about what's ahead. Dad's not a particularly good patient when it comes to minor ailments like cold and flu; just don't know how he'll react to the potential side effects of chemo. With the dementia, it may be a struggle to ensure he keeps on taking pills that make him sick. Anyway, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. The important thing is that he's home.

Melissa: Sounds like you really gear up at work in summer. Are you going away for your vacation or spending it at home?

lala: For about the second time in my entire life, I have no appetite. I weighed myself at home this morning and am down 5 lbs from a few weeks ago. It must be stress; I can think of no other reason. Now if I could just get back to my running routine.. Sigh, if it's not one thing, it's another.

No big plans for the weekend. We're going out with another couple this evening for drinks and dinner. Beyond that, just the usual stuff. My house could stand a cleaning.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:41 AM   #13  

Melissa, Lucky you to have a vacation coming up. Where are you going? Oh, when a thunderstorm wakes me up like that I cannot go back to sleep

Susan, I'm sorry about your father. I also did not know he has dementia; that is so difficult. The husband of a friend of mine has dementia and it's so sad. Sometimes he seems all right and then he will do something that tells you that something's wrong.
I'm sure it's the stress that is killing your appetite. You're right that a nice run would do you good!

lala: Hi there.

Like Melissa, I'm just holding my own which is fine with me. Let's see, this weekend, I'm working at the church rummage sale and then practicing golf. On Sunday, my DH has a 5K race, so I will accompany him there to cheer him on. It's so hot, though; I don't know how he does it.

Closed Thread