Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #1  
start IP Feb 8 2011

S/C/G: 241/146.6/141

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up IP Food Bank weight loss Challenge

As it is the season to give, the radio station I listen to here every years has one of their morning guy's live in a semi trailer until it is full of food donations for the food bank.
I wanted to celebrate my moving to maintenance and thought this was a great way.
I would like to challenge everyone on 3Cs to donate what they have lost. I dropped off 95lbs of food last night to the trailer.

We all have so much to be thankful for this is my way of giving a little back.

Have a great day and a great Challenge.

Joanne
2RIDEROLLERCOAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #2  
ms.lisa

S/C/G: 256/158/140

Height: 5'1"

i love this idea. after next wi i will follow your example. 82 lbs. plus whatever
matolmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:55 AM   #3  
strated IP Sept.26 2011

S/C/G: 266/173.8/180

Height: 5'9

Thats an aweome idea. I'm going to mention it to my coach tomorrow at WI and try to get everyone to donate to the food bank here! Thanks for sharing the idea.
frazzledmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/146/130

Height: 5'4"

I love love love this!!! I will be following suit!!! Thank you for the awesome idea!!! :-) Happy Thanksgiving!
scpnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #5  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

This is a truly lovely idea. There are very, very few homeless people in Germany and I'll resist making a comment about the state of things in my native country. But I'll think of something. Do you ever see the man who told you about this program? I hope he's doing well, too.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #6  
start IP Feb 8 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
This is a truly lovely idea. There are very, very few homeless people in Germany and I'll resist making a comment about the state of things in my native country. But I'll think of something. Do you ever see the man who told you about this program? I hope he's doing well, too.
It is sad that there are people that are homeless or even have homes but can't afford food. I had a former co-worker who was close to losing his house and requested some food for himself and his dog. It is all very sad. It is just a snowball effect from institutions and hospitals closing.

I try to give to the food bank every year during the radio's stations drive as it is held a couple blocks from my house so it is on the way home.
Funny story I didn't tell anyone at work that I was doing this but one of the lady's heard it on the radio as well as twitter and facebook that I challenged listeners who lost weight to do the same. Apparently that got the ball really rolling. She came up and said was that you? and I didn't know what she was talking about.... of course I didn't think anyone from work was listening.. She gave me a big hug and now they are writing up something for their agency's newsletter. I have great co workers and they make working here enjoyable.

My friend that started the movement in our office is off on paternity leave. He was such an inspiration, a lot of us started because of him. I am truly thankful for him showing us the way. Him and his wife are going to be starting up with IP as soon as his wife gets the go ahead from her doctor. He wants to lose a few more pounds and would like to do that with his wife.

Thank you all for helping out in this challenge. Those of you that don't have food banks where you live (are truly blessed if there is no need) please donate to any cause that needs help.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #7  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST View Post
Thank you all for helping out in this challenge. Those of you that don't have food banks where you live (are truly blessed if there is no need) please donate to any cause that needs help.
Maternity leave is great. Please give him and his wife my best. And I love your story. I'll give you back 2.

Once when I was staying in my son's apartment in Palo Alto to look after his cats the postal workers had their annual drive. I put out the food and nobody picked it up. So I trucked it down to the post office, stood in line forever, and when I got to the window the postal worker said he didn't know anything about it. Sheeze. So I left and a woman was sitting on the steps looking for handouts. I offered her the food and she said I only take cash, with great distain.

Back home in Hawai'i my postwoman came to the door one evening and asked me if I was going to leave sacks of food again this year. Sure, says I. I have them all ready. So can I take them home in my car? she asks. It'll leave more room tomorrow. I think we may be kindred spirits.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #8  
start IP Feb 8 2011

Just an update on the Radio Station food drive in 4 days the kind people of Edmonton filled a semi trailer full of food. 26 pallets full of food. They are saying that if you still want to donate to the food bank they could really use the food or donations. The Radio guy can now go home and sleep in his own bed tonight... and shower... he has been wearing the same clothes all that time... He is happy that he is out of there.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #9  
Started IP Aug 2, 2011

S/C/G: 220/147/140

Height: 5'10

Quote:
As it is the season to give, the radio station I listen to here every years has one of their morning guy's live in a semi trailer until it is full of food donations for the food bank.
I wanted to celebrate my moving to maintenance and thought this was a great way.
I would like to challenge everyone on 3Cs to donate what they have lost. I dropped off 95lbs of food last night to the trailer.

We all have so much to be thankful for this is my way of giving a little back.

Have a great day and a great Challenge.

Joanne
Excellent! That's so nice of you. We are donateing to the local food bank as a group through the Wellness Centre here. Matching # of lbs lost= # of lbs food. Awesome idea
Junetwin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 337/164/160

Height: 5' 6.5" ('cuz the .5 counts!)

Great idea! I am going to round up to 50#. Haven't quite lost that much, but will be my goal to reach by the end of the year.
ptod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #11  
start IP Feb 8 2011

Thanks everyone, I hope more will want to participate but do understand if you don't. It gave me such a good feeling... and after hauling in 95 lbs of groceries up the stairs and into the trailier I thought WOW I was walking around with all of that stuff on me... sure makes you appreciate how this diet has really changed your life.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #12  
start IP Feb 8 2011

bump

Last edited by 2RIDEROLLERCOAST; 11-28-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: word
Old 11-29-2011, 07:59 AM   #13  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I hope more will want to participate but do understand if you don't. It gave me such a good feeling... and after hauling in 95 lbs of groceries up the stairs and into the trailier I thought WOW I was walking around with all of that stuff on me... sure makes you appreciate how this diet has really changed your life.
Joanne..What a wonderful idea. Now I am going to have to donate 108 pounds of food, but will feel very good about it. It makes me smile that I am carrying a weight of goods that my body actually carried.It is a perfect way to celebrate maintenance. I also love the idea of helping others. Our school is having a Food Bank drive, so I can do it!

Last edited by Maile; 11-29-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #14  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

Great idea, challenged my FB freinds doing a weight loss challenge to do the same thing. Between my wife and I we're good for 100# of food so far.

Side note, giving during the holidays is great but the Food Banks really need the help year round. We try to do some non-traditional times during the year too.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #15  
Started IP 7/7/2010

S/C/G: 301/215 Restart 245/249/185

Height: 5'9"

I think this is a great idea! Count me in. We have a new food bank that just opened up and I'm thinking the 75 pounds I've lost might help a bit.
Marionm is offline   Reply With Quote