Old 11-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #1  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Height: 5'8"

Default Weightlifting

Any suggestions to weightlifting without joining a gym? i have the free weights but not motivated to use them. i do love weightlifting and love the results. can anyone suggest any DVDs i could buy so i could do a great weightlifting workout at home? (and thanks Camaswa for reminding me it's a great workout!) you guys motivate me every day w/ this forum! :-)
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:14 AM   #2  

Good morning -

I don't go to a gym. I suppose if I had a lot of money and free time I would join just for a bit to shake up my knowledge and build a little more.

Anyway, I do have dumb bells, but I wouldn't say I "weight lift" in the classic sense.

But I try to do a pretty rigorous routine including squats (add dumb bells and I promise it will bump those squats to an entirely new level), sit-ups, push-ups and any array of dumb bell exercises.

I like to push myself even though I am home alone. I would probably build more if I was working with heavier weights and a trainer, but this is the way it goes. And don't underestimate the body's own weight as a resistance tool.

And don't forget to stretch!
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #3  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikingChloe View Post
Good morning -

I don't go to a gym. I suppose if I had a lot of money and free time I would join just for a bit to shake up my knowledge and build a little more.

Anyway, I do have dumb bells, but I wouldn't say I "weight lift" in the classic sense.

But I try to do a pretty rigorous routine including squats (add dumb bells and I promise it will bump those squats to an entirely new level), sit-ups, push-ups and any array of dumb bell exercises.

I like to push myself even though I am home alone. I would probably build more if I was working with heavier weights and a trainer, but this is the way it goes. And don't underestimate the body's own weight as a resistance tool.

And don't forget to stretch!
i would push myself at home too because first of all i wouldnt be self conscious like i would in a gym and wouldn't have to wait in line to use the machines :-) if i could find a video that was just floor exercises using dumb bells, that would be great. then i would have a good guide and would make sure i'm working all my muscles.... anyone have any suggestions for videos? thanks!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #4  

Well, the only videos I have used is when I want to watch a clip to understand an exercise better. Other than that I have a list that I work with depending on what I want.

For example, on a site called the Iron You (male focused) read this article about a movie upcoming that had a short sequence:

http://www.theironyou.com/2011/10/fight-with-gods-immortals-workout.html

I wanted to understand the form of two of the squats better and ended up on the Men's Health Web site of all things. However, the video demonstrations were very sequential and I could follow them.

I will be curious if people have full video routines they follow.
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:58 AM   #5  

Not that I've ever completed the program, but I have the Chalean Extreme DVDs at home and I like the few that I've done.
1bighog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #6  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikingChloe View Post
Well, the only videos I have used is when I want to watch a clip to understand an exercise better. Other than that I have a list that I work with depending on what I want.

For example, on a site called the Iron You (male focused) read this article about a movie upcoming that had a short sequence:

http://www.theironyou.com/2011/10/fight-with-gods-immortals-workout.html

I wanted to understand the form of two of the squats better and ended up on the Men's Health Web site of all things. However, the video demonstrations were very sequential and I could follow them.

I will be curious if people have full video routines they follow.
Thanks, i'll check it out! you reminded me of MSN also who always have workout videos you can download. i could just set my laptop up in living room and follow the video at no cost :-) thanks!!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #7  

I've done several...I do like some of Jillian Michael's intervals that use weights. I also did Jackie Warner's red workout (I don't remember what it's called) and it really worked my whole body muscles...(my sister liked the blue one).

you can also look on youtube for videos. I have a youtube playlist of various dance workouts from GRDFitness...Love it!!
nwcgina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #8  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcgina View Post
I've done several...I do like some of Jillian Michael's intervals that use weights. I also did Jackie Warner's red workout (I don't remember what it's called) and it really worked my whole body muscles...(my sister liked the blue one).

you can also look on youtube for videos. I have a youtube playlist of various dance workouts from GRDFitness...Love it!!
Great idea!! i get bored so would be cool just to download and try different workouts. so do you just play them on your laptop? i guess i could balance my laptop on top of the TV cabinet....
Old 11-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #9  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bighog View Post
Not that I've ever completed the program, but I have the Chalean Extreme DVDs at home and I like the few that I've done.
i think i can check some out of the library too so i can check them out. i used to do Tae Bo which i loved... i'm using my exercise bike too but have to kick off my puppy who likes to bite my feet when i'm pedaling. Does laughing loudly burn any calories because my silly dogs always crack me up! :-)
Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #10  

Yes, I just play them on my laptop. If you have netflix instant streaming they have several different types of workouts on there too.
nwcgina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/175/165

I have a kettle bell workout video. Using a kettle bell really gets the heart rate up so you get both a cardio workout and a weight workout. I use a 15 pound weight but you can get a 10 or 12. I also go to the gym often and in the classes they use kettle bells. It's definitely worth looking into.
ggoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #12  
Motivated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcgina View Post
Yes, I just play them on my laptop. If you have netflix instant streaming they have several different types of workouts on there too.
we just switched to Blockbuster...but i did see some great workouts on MSN.com

thanks everyone for the suggestions! :-)
Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

I love my kettlebell! I got Bob Harper's DVD. You do have to be careful with your form, you could hurt your back, it seems to me. I also see a trainer once a week then try to do what she had me do on two other days. I really recommend using a trainer if you can afford it. You learn so much about good form, plus you will probably amaze yourself at what you can do. She pushes me to do stuff I would never do on my own.

Last edited by camaswa; 11-21-2011 at 08:23 PM.
camaswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #14  
Motivated Member

[QUOTE=camaswa;4115914]I love my kettlebell! I got Bob Harper's DVD. You do have to be careful with your form, you could hurt your back, it seems to me. I also see a trainer once a week then try to do what she had me do on two other days. I really recommend using a trainer if you can afford it. You learn so much about good form, plus you will probably amaze yourself at what you can do. She pushes me to do stuff I would never do on my own.[/QU

i do miss going to the gym - especially the classes... i'm in sales and always work late so need to get into a routine so i don't work late every night and make more time for myself. probably why i love to go camping...away from my computer! and phone and we spend all our time walking, biking and swimming plus walking our 3 dogs...