South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #1  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default Super Sizing Produce

I know some of you have your own gardens and can grow your own vegetables, but, aside from the fact that I can kill anything green with a glance, that's not possible in my apartment. So I go to grocery stores.

This season, more than in preivous ones, I've noticed in grocery stores that much of the produce is GIANT sized. This week, the green bell peppers were the size of cantaloupes, the radishes looked like beets. Zucchini often could double as baseball bats, but I saw delicate little English cucumbers that could take them on. Is this a trend, or have I been unlucky?
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #2  

I do have a garden but am limited now so I do shop for the majority of produce. I get my stuff in the health food store or just buy organic in the supermarket. The organic produce is definitely not as big and pretty as the standard produce, which is definitely getting prettier and bigger.

I saw this show on Netflix a few months back: Food beware: The french organic revolution. That is when i went totally organic....or, as much as humanly possible!
anilom007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #3  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Organic produce is definitely smaller. To my taste, the Super Sized vegetables aren't better, either in looks or taste. I've seen giant zucchini at farmer's markets at the end of summer, but these look as though they've been grown for the new American supersized craze. But maybe I'm being paranoid.

I haven't heard about the french organic revolution! Something else to worry about.....
Old 11-21-2011, 07:43 PM   #4  

Xan, I agree I have noticed this with the fruit in the store as well, they have huge apples and pears (what I would consider almost 2.5 servings). I wonder why they can't just carry the regular size.

But we buy so much produce, that is where the money goes at the store.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:51 PM   #5  

The french organic revolution was just interesting. One of the "mayors" decided to offer organic meals in their local school canteen - it was really interesting. They showed the areas nearby were the farmers and family were drastically affected (sickened neurologically) by all the 25 some-odd pestides that they use on their farms. It'sfunny about what we are talking about here, becuase a lot of the kids would go home and eduate their parents onto the benefits of organic. The parents would go out to buy organic, finding it much more expensive but then realizing that when they buy produce in the supermarkets they buy a lot more than they actually need. When they buy organic you buy what you need when you need it..as it should be really for portion control and freshness' sake
Old 11-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #6  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks for that, anilom. I'm not sure I understand, though. The organic farmers were using 25 pesticides? Isn't that anti-organic?

I'd forgotten about the giant apples. That's one of the reasons that weighing and measuring isn't always a bad idea, I think.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #7  

Yes, im sorry...they had organic farmers and scenes and then would show the other group, the farmers using the pestisides...of course the organic farmers were fine..though perhaps not making as much money The traditional farmers swept up in the systems and using chemicals had horrible neurological disorders. So, they were showing from both points of view. I only buy and grow organic..and of course, the ones using the pestides were the "anti" organic
Old 11-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #8  

anilom007, speaking of movies, have you ever seen King Corn? (it is on Netflex) Talk about an eye opener for people, I was so glad my DH watched it with me, we both look at corn sweetner in a different way. And those poor beef cattle that are feed corn to fatten them up.

I love documentaries that tell the story. There is so much that goes on that we the consumers don't know.
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #9  

King Corn? No I have to look for it on netflix. Thanks for mentioning it! Its so hard to hide from the corn these days...in everything. Im so greatful for SB, not only has it helped me lose weight, but it really has opened my eyes as to the quality of food we are consuming. Also, the disgusting way they treat cattle chicken etc to get them fattened up quickly with little muscle development ...Thanks for the recommendation!