General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #1  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Default loosening up the "rules"

So let me be captain obvious for a moment. For the past 2 weeks, I loosened up a little and while I'm still calculating everything I put in my mouth, and letting 1200 be my target and 1400 be my ceiling on calories, I'm pretty much hitting that 1400 mark daily now. On the one hand, it makes me nervous because I am eating more and could eat even more than I am now, so I know I should cut back again. On the other hand, I'm feeling a little less crazy about every morsel I consume but that relaxing of control is a bit worrisome.

Of course, some days we're just hungrier than others, and then other days not so much. It seems tho that I could totally go out of control if I allowed myself to. When I've planned well, I do better (again, captain obvious).

I like that I have relaxed about the diet some, but it troubles me that I could potentially continue toward creeping that daily intake upwards and worry about getting it back under control.

I don't know. I'm just rambling here. I think mostly I'm just trying to put it out there and make myself accountable before I fall off the deep end. Its too soon in my weight loss to take a lax attitude. I think I need to reinforce my efforts and reevaluate my tactics.

Thanks for listening.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #2  

I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing. I vacillate between weeks where I tend to eat at the maintenance calories for my goal weight and weeks when I eat lower than that (at 1400 or so, for example). In fact, if I were planning it, I would plan it this way. I don't want my body to become adjusted to one set calorie count. Also, as you say, there are some times when we're just hungrier than other times. Last week, I seemed to be starving. This week, even though I mentally "allowed" myself to eat up to 1700 calories per day (the target for my goal weight), adding up my calories today (which is the end of my "week"), I realized that I have eaten an average of about 1400 per day.

I like having this loose structure. I suppose it's a matter of self-trust. I still have issues trusting myself (because I've yo-yo'd in the past), but on this, I trust myself, and perhaps you should trust yourself too.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #3  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Thanks lin. I guess I have to get used to trusting myself. I definitely passed a personal "drive myself crazy" point when I hit the 170s, although staying in them (that is, not creeping into the 180s) is frightening.

I hope to get a handle on this. This diet is different than anything I've done before because in the past I was on a diet to lose...and be done! Now, I know, finally, I've got to do this forever, and the fear of regaining is always there, but its worse when I'm eating more, even when I know sensibly that if I continue to eat even towards the 1400 ceiling, eventually the scale will move down.

I should just be happy with having gotten to the 170s, and trust that the 160s, maybe even the 150s are in my future.

That is a completely different mindset. Sort of a "slow and steady" wins the race idea, rather than a "get this weight off me now now NOW" mode. It sure is different!!!
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:38 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
Thanks lin. I guess I have to get used to trusting myself. I definitely passed a personal "drive myself crazy" point when I hit the 170s, although staying in them (that is, not creeping into the 180s) is frightening.

I hope to get a handle on this. This diet is different than anything I've done before because in the past I was on a diet to lose...and be done! Now, I know, finally, I've got to do this forever, and the fear of regaining is always there, but its worse when I'm eating more, even when I know sensibly that if I continue to eat even towards the 1400 ceiling, eventually the scale will move down.

I should just be happy with having gotten to the 170s, and trust that the 160s, maybe even the 150s are in my future.

That is a completely different mindset. Sort of a "slow and steady" wins the race idea, rather than a "get this weight off me now now NOW" mode. It sure is different!!!
I feel the same way this time. In fact, many would probably say I'm not goal-oriented enough. I think when I first started back in June, I had hit an all-time high. I was at the point where I had to shop only for size 14s, and since I'm only 5 ft 3, I didn't look good. I'm guessing that I was around 180 or so (maybe more---I don't weigh myself, choosing to focus on clothing size instead). Then, I was more desperate because I really didn't like the way I looked.

Now, though, I feel more comfortable. I went shopping last Thursday and realized that I could confidently shop in the "size 10" racks. I ended up buying just one pair of pants and a skirt, but both were in size 10 Petite! So, now that I feel as if I look more normal, I'm in no big hurry to lose the rest. In fact, I've pretty much decided that I want to lose the rest by trying to just eat the calories for my goal weight (140 lbs.). I got the numbers from 6-7 online calorie calculators and averaged them, and it comes to a little more than 1700 per day to maintain a weight of 140. That's the calorie count I'm going to aim for. I figure that I might as well get used to that calorie count since it will be what I'll have to eat to keep off my weight anyway. I'll probably lose ultra slow, but I'm okay with that.

Sorry for rambling, but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250 / 210 / 210

Height: 6' 4"

I loosened my rules a little and it resulted in the slow loss on my chart for the last few months. I don't view this as a bad thing, because it gives me a fair idea of where my maintenance level is.

I have not given up on the goal, it will be reached. I just decided going full bore all the time isn't realistic. I choose to eat some healthy things that I like such as avocados, nuts and cheese, that have fats and calories, but also allow the diet to be sustainable. Who wants to live under oppression every day?

Last edited by darway; 10-19-2011 at 12:37 PM.
darway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #6  

I also think you are doing fine. Just make sure you aren't going totally out of control, like binge eating sweets like crazy. Indulge yourself once in awhile and reward yourself and tell yourself you are doing a great job!
RHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4''

I think it may be your body's way of telling you 1200 is on the low end for its needs, After my first 6 months I relaxed my rules - it was getting to be too mucch work to track every single thing (especially since I love cooking). Now I do things in a way that are sustainable for me. Sometimes it takes a while to figure out what is best for you, physically and psychologically.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Some people need strict limits while losing weight and some people deal better with ranges. I'm better with a range myself. There are many variants on that too. It's a matter of finding what works for you. It sounds like your new approach is working, so more power to you! If it turns out that it doesn't work well for you in the longer run, you might try going back to a strict limit or something else. Good luck!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote