South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 11-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #1  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Default Re-greetings!

I've been an on-again/off-again SBer for the past two years. I have changed a lot of bad habits to good ones, but haven't yet been able to fully commit to SB, mostly because I have a ridiculously busy schedule (I'm a high school principal who also teaches 6 courses at a small private school). I got out of the habit of cooking, which I once loved, and moved to grab-and-go meals. I still eat grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner, but now they have low fat cheese AND mushrooms and spinach. When I slide off the Beach, or get knocked down by a wave, I'll do WW or calorie counting, or carb cutting, and I've actually lost a few pounds the past few months, which is better than gaining it back!

I'm looking forward to a weeklong Thanksgiving break beginning this Friday and am excited to be starting again. I read these forums daily, and will be posting whenever I can. It's good to see a lot of new faces, and read about new successes, and wonderful to see so many long-time Beachers still here.

Where's the What's for Dinner thread?
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:24 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Hi Xan - nice to see you back here on the beach.

I seemed to be the only one really hooked on the dinner thread so it fizzled out. We can start a new one anytime though. I always liked that one. I'm on the grab and go or leftover meals until Julie is home but I'll jump back on once I'm back to cooking.

Do you have time to do some bulk cooking on the weekends? Last year when I was working FT for AFT and just ridiculously busy that's what i was doing. Then I'd parcel the food out for the week - dinners, lunch leftovers in a thermos and beans to top salads. Just a thought.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome back
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:02 AM   #4  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks, Karen and Cyndi!

Cyndi, I was also hooked on What's for Dinner. Even though we have the On Plan thread, people were sometimes more chatty on WFD, and I got some great ideas from it. Start it again when you can (and I hope Julie is home and healthy soon!) and when I start back on Friday I'll either start one or join in. (Until then I'm in eat-all-the-TV-dinners-in-the-freezer mode.)

I've been unsuccessful about weekend cooking the past few years because of being busy. Believe it or not, last year I did not take one single day off for 48 weeks -- including weekends, summer "vacations" (I teach summers and also work on luring in students), Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. I have gotten things organized to the point that this year I'm taking at least one day off a weekend and I'm going into hiding over Thanksgiving and Christmas so they can't find me, so that I can really give SB all my attention. So short answer, yes, I'm going to try that starting this weekend.

I'm very grateful for the recipe threads and, despite having more cookbooks than anyone would need, and a ridiculous number for someone who doesn't cook (I like to look at the pictures ), the recipes here are better!!!

Last edited by Xan; 11-13-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #5  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hi Xan,

back. As I am reading your posts, one thing really jumps out to me (and I apologize in advance because I just came off a leadership retreat) but YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOU!! OMG, no vacation time in 48 weeks? Mentally, you must be exhausted. Let alone physically...You can't do that to yourself - you will be no good to the kids if you are no good to yourself.

Ok, with that out of the way

I am glad you are coming back and are planning ahead. I sometimes got into the WFD thread but most times, I am just making recipes from the recipe section (and I try to post pictures each time I make something new) but I'd be down for a WFD thread and post a dinner pic there

Last edited by jenne1017; 11-13-2011 at 12:20 PM.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #6  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks, Jenne (fellow Washingtonian!) You are right, of course. I hate posting that about my schedule, because it sounds like I'm whining, but small nonprofits do that to their staffs. (Or we do it because that's how nonprofits exist.) This year is much better, though, and I will never work at that pace again. I've said a few times, "I can't do that." I also take a good multivitamin and a B-12 pill (at my doctor's suggestion) and that has made a big difference. I don't mean to offer it as an excuse for why I keep gearing up, starting and backing away, but it is the main reason.

I think planning ahead is the only way to do it. I've actually gotten quite good at the planning. Now it's executing the plan that needs work I look forward to bumping elbows with you on the WFD thread. )And congrats for being so close to your November goal!!!)

Last edited by Xan; 11-13-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan View Post
I don't mean to offer it as an excuse for why I keep gearing up, starting and backing away, but it is the main reason.
I get it! Really I do. I've worked at non-profits for 12 years. It's so hard when you are sooo tied to the mission. But, as my boss told me after working too much pre-conference this year: We don't work in an ER. If we leave at 5p, no one will die.

When you are ready, you are ready!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #8  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome back! It's always great to see you back here! Fantastic that you've changed some "bad" habits over the past year...maybe it will make things a bit easier for you!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #9  
Xan
serial rejoiner

Thanks, Debbie! I hope so too! You're doing great -- you're very close to goal. Congratulations! Thank you Jenn. Yes -- I THINK I'm ready.

Last edited by Xan; 11-14-2011 at 06:25 PM.