Old 11-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #51

Good morning, ladies! 55 degrees and dense fog this morning

Today is a work day and then I'm going to go home and put my feet up and quilt. I love Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice so it will be a good evening.

Here's the link to an interesting article I got in a newsletter this morning:

http://www.ivillage.com/15-food-swaps-could-save-your-life/4-b-396477?nlcid=ht|11-10-2011|

Faye, that new hat is beautiful. I like it better than the other one. Your remodeling plans sound like a real undertaking! It's nice to get you house exactly as you want it. Thanks for the recipe. I'll be making it on Saturday.

Jean, I wish you could record the bells and give us the file. I'll bet it is beautiful. Anyone can buy the FitBit. It's $99 on their website. I was just lucky to be given it as part of this research study.

Maggie, I know you are happy to have your glass order come in so you can get on with your work.

Have a great day, I need to get to work!

Last edited by QuilterInVA; 11-10-2011 at 09:51 AM.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cold, sunny, windy morning in my neighborhood. I've been to the grocery store for casserole and bar ingredients to make for Amanda's family. I'm hoping we can deliver the food later today since the kids will all be coming home tomorrow. Tomorrow they are dedicating the veterans' memorial at the same time as the teacher's visitation. Bob wants to see the memorial since his name is on it; we were surprised in that the one here is so much smaller than the one in his home town and my home town.

"Gma" -- I have to chuckle at Jack playing solitaire while he eats breakfast . . . just like a kid. I've heard that funerals run in 3s, so I've had more than my quota this year. Your remodeling will be so nice when you are all finished! I don't envy you the mess though. Every once in awhile Bob will mention adding on again, and I just don't want to go through that decision making process again. I must admit a bedroom and bath on the main floor would be nice. It's a good thing you posted "go to #51," because it was below #50 on the list.

Susan -- Thanks for sharing the link; I'll take a look later. We do record the church service and people can get the DVDs to watch if they can't come to church. The problem with this particular piece is that the bass part (me and 3 others) play off each other and if one of us gets lost, or miscounts, we will all be "off." I'm hoping everyone will be bright eyed and busy tailed Sunday morning!

I need to get busy cooking! Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #3  

THANK YOU TO ALL OUR VETERANS TODAY!!!!

Good morning to you ladies. It is cool and crisp this morning but clear. I imagine all the nuts are out since it is a full moon or at least it looked like it.

I went to bed fairly early so am up before even the chickens this morning. I will probably fall asleep in the recliner for a bit after I get done with posting. I have 2 more patterns to do on my sweater and then the ribbing and the back will be done and I can start the front. I still have to finish my sister's sock and am determined to get it done this weekend sometime.

We are going to see "Jack and Jill" today then go to Chilis for dinner. They are giving veterans a free meal today if you go before 5 pm so we are going to go. I am going to Dotti's and make a decision of what to eat before we get there. they have a few things that will fit.

Tomorrow is commissary day so I have to work up a menu and grocery list. As of yesterday I was down another 5 lbs but we shall see what Monday brings. I don't think I will make my end of year goal, but I will be close and close is better than far away. It is certainly good to day to day say I am where I should be and doing what I should do. Giving up refined sugar is the best thing I have ever done and I don't miss it a bit. I get some little sugar free treats when I feel I want a piece of chocolate or something, but even then I don't sit and eat piece after piece. I keep trying to get Jack to try it but he is convinced the stuff has to be nasty and the fact is you really can't tell the difference IMO.

Jay sent me an email about a toy Jackson really wants for Christmas, but Nonny has already bought everything, though if no one had, I would have gotten it for him. Aunt Kelly and Uncle Tom and Thomas are getting it for him. It is this ship from Mattel that has a shark and stuff on it and can be played with on land or sea (you can take off the wheels and put it in the bathtub ) The boys have to love Christmas when we are all together as they get a bunch of gifts around Thanksgiving then get another haul at Christmas! Jay made the restaurant reservation and we are going to have a nice later breakfast and late lunch as Kelly and Tom won't get in until around noon on Thanksgiving. They have to work all day on Wednesday. Since Kelly is still a contractor if she doesn't work, she doesn't get paid. Hopefully after the first of the year they will put her on as a permanent employee.

Jack is now down to 215 and has about 5 lbs to go and he will be at goal. He has lost a total of 47 lbs!!! He is so funny. He eats cereal every morning and I asked him why doesn't he have one of my homemade biscuits for breakfast or a couple of my eggos and bacon. He said, I can't when you add in the syrup and the hash browns and the sausage......First off, he only eats Mrs. Butterworths which is loaded with calories and insists on the hash browns, sausage and stuff with the biscuit so instead he just sticks with his cereal every morning. Me, I usually eat my nutragrain eggos, two strips of precooked bacon, skim milk hot chocolate make with quik sugar free and a serving of some kind of fruit. Fills me up. Eventually, I will have to cut back on breakfast because of pts, but I have so many now it is no problem.

Well girls, I need to go. I have had a stuffy nose all night and now it is just the opposite and my eyes are running as is my nose so the day begins! Have a good one today! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly, but it's a cold 34 with a "light" wind blowing according to the weatherman. I wonder when a breeze turns into a light wind. Jason called this morning and they will be staying here tonight and possibly tomorrow night. Other relatives are staying with Amanda's parents so there is no room at that inn. That means I need to clean out the spare bedroom and think about some sort of breakfast in the morning, before we all leave for the funeral. Amanda's mom had planned to have everyone home next weekend for their Thanksgiving and 3 grandchildren's birthdays, but will do it this weekend instead. I have my grocery list made and will do that after I finish here, before the Friday crazies hit the streets.

"Gma" -- The moon was so pretty last night as we drove home from Amanda's parents'. The lake was smooth as glass and the reflection on the water would have made a beautiful picture. Bob could have had a free breakfast this morning, but he opted for his usual oatmeal. Jack does so well sticking to his food plan. I've heard that once the sugar is gone from your diet, the weight is easier to lose. I can't say that I intentionally don't eat sugar, but I don't add it to anything either. Good luck at the commissary tomorrow!

I'm off to the grocery store! Have a FANTASTIC day and enjoy!
Old 11-11-2011, 12:42 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking 11-11-11

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is 50 and sunny here this day in the Heartland. 11-11-11 and Veterans day. Thank You Veterans. Our dinner and program to honor the Veterans went very well last night. We heard from a young Marine that works with the Wounded Warrior program now. He had quite a story to tell and there was a huge collection taken up for the Wounded Warriors that he will take with him. That is a wonderful outfit. There were a couple of hundred people there and we had a good time. Will and I were asked to stand when he thanked us for the work we have been doing. I just said, "It was my pleasure." There was a lady wearing a beautiful necklas made of toruquise with carved wooden animals and puka shells. It was quite a lovely piece and I commented on it. She promptly took it off and gave it to me. She said that was just the second time she had worn it and it looked much better on me with the blouse I was wearing. I saw her later after the dinner and offered it back to her and she would have none of it. Said she wanted me to have it. I was NOT asking for it when I was giving her a compliment about it. While I was wearing it I got several compliments on it last night. Well Cecil has discovered "outback" and goes out there with the dogs. Yesterday I tried to coax him in and he just went over by the neighbors fence and layed down on the grass and looked at me. Ragg Mopp came in and I told Beanie to stay outside with Cecil. He stayed out there with him then later I went to the back door and they were both sitting on the back step. They came in. He goes out with them and when they come back in sometimes he stays out there. He can't just yet work the doggie door but will figure it out eventually. I don't think he will get out of the yard but folks do like to steel cute little kittens especially this time of the year. He will stay in the yard with his dogs I do believe. The BBQ man is in town and guess what we will be having for a meal this day again. The tree critters just came thunering into my office/shop. The dogs for their "good boy" and the cat to eat and get a drink. Will has been out back working and they were all there with him.

DONNA FAYE To Jack for his losses. He is doing great and realizes what he can eat and what to stay away from. It would be a red light food if he ate anything besides his cereal. Where you can eat a lighter breakfast and be satisfied. Different strokes for different folks. I love breakfast foods and could easily spend my whole days points on that one meal. So I have to be real careful on that particular meal. A boiled egg and some fruit do me good now. I have some Schwans pre cooked sausage links that are 2 points+ each and sometimes I micro zap one to go with my egg. That way my breakfast is still a low point one.

JEAN Isn't it the way of it when there is a funeral folks gather and you get to visit with the living. Interesting how different folks are affected by funerals. Depends, of course I guess, on who passed and what realation you had to them. Will once all in one day had a baptism a wedding and then a funeral. That was a bit much all in one day I remember.

SUSAN Thanks for the heads up on that web site. Looks interesting and I will spend some time there. I cut out a 3 story building yesterday which is white with a blue roof. It has a rounded tower like thingie in front that is 4 sided with windows all up and down. I put a little wire fenching around the upper floor balcony. It is a beautiful piece when done for I have made several and they have always sold. I want this one for the village I am making for us.

Well Magnolias have a lovely afternoon. I am off to do some glass grinding. Type at y'all later.

UPDATE Will just came in and announced that El Gatto can now open the doggie door.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-11-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:30 PM   #6  

Maggie -- I'm glad your dinner was a success last night. A new necklace . . . lucky you! I hope Cecil doesn't figure out how to climb the fence and escape. I wish I could see him open the pet door. He will keep you on your toes!

I need to do some ironing for the funeral tomorrow. Jason and crew should be rolling in soon also. See you all tomorrow . . . sometime.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:44 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all. It is another early one for me I am afraid. This seems to be coming a pattern. I do get about 6 hours before I wake up having to go to the bathroom or Fortune does and I have to come down and let him out then don't feel like messing with him again so I just stay downstairs. I imagine I will go nap in the recliner after I get done here.

We did have a nice lunch at Chilis, I had their soup half sandwich deal and the soup was icky but the sandwich was good. We never went to the movies opted to pick up the last HP movie instead and came home and watched it later eating dinner. I was having severe cramping and stuff so didn't feel much like sitting in a theater. We will go this afternoon or tomorrow afternoon I think.

This one medication I am on causing ringing in the ears and sometimes it drives me cuckoo. This morning it seems to be particularly pronounced maybe because it is so quiet in the house except for Fortune snoring. It has been so noisy around here the last few days. I don't know what people are doing in their condos but a lot of banging and bumping and stuff and of course the kids are all yelling and carrying on going to the buses in the morning.

Jean: Hope you enjoy the time with the kids at your house. If I had known earlier, I would have sent you a breakfast casserole dish that is easy to put together and can be stored in the fridge and then just stuck in the oven the next morning. I would have to dig it up from my collection, but I am pretty sure I still have it. It has eggs, frozen hashbrowns, sausage, etc in layers then cheese on top. It is pretty darn good the few times I have had it. Got the recipe from my sister several years ago. It was nuts, nuts at Walmart yesterday. I had to go and get hair color, a couple gift bags to put the boys hats and mittens and Christmas candy in, the HP movie, some of their ham salad, which actually wasn't out of date, some hand sanitizer and some nuts Jack likes to take on our trip and the commissary doesn't have. There were people everywhere and we hit it lucky walking past a check out just as the lady was finishing up.

Maggie: I imagine the necklace is lovely and a lovely thing for the woman to do. Hopefully little Cecil will be have himself and not get into trouble like his namesake always did.

You all have a fun Saturday. Since it is commissary day, ours will probably be crazy. We have to buy the extra soft drinks and stuff to take on the trip so it will be lots of stuff to drag in and put away. Faye

Last edited by gma22; 11-12-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly day of 45 degrees here in the Heartland with a few clouds on a beautiful blue sky. Our friends car needs some work done on it so Will has taken him to another friends house who has multibule autos to borrow one so he can get home today. He really needs to go home today for where his wife works they are giving his wife a baby shower and it is one where men are also invited and he must be there. Our friend has a van, pick up and 3 cars and there is just the two of them now that the children are all gone and in collage or married with children. They live out in the country and just love it when someone wants to borrow one of their vehicles. Real nice folks that like to "help out." Every body needs freinds like that. We are going to his birthday party tonight which is being held at a local restaurant. It is a family affair but they consider us family so we are invited to all their do's. Will took both dogs so there is just Cecil here in the house with me. Back door is closed so Cecil can't go out back. Independent little guy loves to go out the louvered doggie door. He has started sleeping on the comforter that we fold down onto a low table at the foot of the bed. But before the night is over he is in the crook of my bent knees on the bed where he spends the rest of the night. He gets to go to the vet Monday for a follow up shot and both dogs get a haircut and bath at the groomer. Yeah for Monday. We have a couple of trees growing in large pots in the front room. The one that sits on the floor has become a playground for Cecil. There is that dried moss around the trunk on the top of the pot. Lots of it ends up on the floor every day and then gets vacuumed up and then he puts more out. We are going to put rocks in the pot. Yep, lets see if he chucks the rocks out of the pot. Most things he doesn't bother but he just loves that dried moss for some reason and thinks it is there for him to frolick in.

DONNA FAYE Isn't there a med that would do the job that doesn't cause ringing in your ears? Yikes that must be miserable. Something to talk to your doc about. Looks like your sleep pattern has settled into a routine. It is good that you are able to grab a nap in the daytime.

JEAN Yep that necklace is a real nice piece and I hung it on a hook where it looks lovely. I imagine it was quite spendy when it was first purchased. I had seen similar pieces in catalogs and they had a hefty price tag. The doggie door is louvered and opens quite easily in fact. Cecil just pushes the bottom slat and only the bottom one opens out. Before he ever went out on his own he would sit and look out since the door slats are clear plastic. Then he would follow Beanie real close and out he would go. Then one day he tried it on his own and voilla ~ he was out. There is a piece of plastic that can be slid down over the slats so they can't be used to exit but then it would keep the dogs in also and defeit the purpose.

Time to go rustle up something to eat. Type at y'all later.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cloudy, gloomy, breezy day in my neighborhood. The temperature is 51 and "it feels like 51," which I don't understand if there is a 13 mph wind. Hmmmm! We just got home from the funeral lunch and I've got a load of towels in the washer. The kids slept on blow up camping mattresses so have them deflating; need to put the pillows and blankets away. I have zilch ambition to do anything after being gone this morning. I've been up since 5:30, mainly to get my shower first and then get the breakfast dish in the oven. I'm thinking a nap sounds good!

"Gma" -- My egg dish is just eggs, sausage or ham, bread, cheese, and milk. It's an easy one to do the night before, but if you find your recipe send it to me please. Our WM is ALWAYS nuts! There are never enough checkouts open and they try to steer people to the self-serve which I refuse to do. Will the ringing in your ears go away eventually? That has got to be very frustrating. I hope your commissary run was fast and easy.

Maggie -- Good luck with the rocks in your tree pot. Cecil will probably think it is a game to get them out and scattered around for you to pick up. I wonder if he thinks he is a dog since he can now work the doggie door.

I need to change clothes and maybe read the paper. I took a quick look this morning and see there is another funeral in Bob's hometown on Monday. We may go to the visitation tomorrow night; I've had my 3 deaths in a row so enough is enough! Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 11-12-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:18 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Recipe

I have several breakfast casserole recipes but this is our favorite out of an old WW magazine. I also add 1½ cups (4 ounces) sliced fresh mushrooms when I make it.

MAKE-AHEAD BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
¾ pound lean ground pork
¾ tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp fennel seeds, crushed
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 C skim milk
1 oz. cheddar shredded (¼C)
¾ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground red pepper
3 green onions, chopped
2 (8 oz.) cartons egg substitute
6 (1 oz) slices white bread, cut in ½ inch cubes
Cooking spray
Thyme sprigs (optional)
1. Cook ground pork, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds,
and minced garlic in a large nonstick skillet over
medium heat until pork is lightly browned, stirring to
crumble.
Drain & set aside.
2. Combine milk & next 6 ingredients in a large bowl;
stir with a whisk until blended.
3. Add pork mixture and bread cubes, stirring until
blended. Pour into an 11 x7 inch baking dish coated
with cooking spray.
4. Cover and chill 8 to 12 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 350º
6. Bake, uncovered, at 350º for 50 minutes or until set
& lightly browned.
7. Garnish with thyme, if desired,
Yield 6 servings
6 Points Plus per serving.
Cal 258; Pro 24.2; Carb 18.8; Fat 8.8; Fib 0.8

Last edited by Maggie; 11-13-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #11  

Good morning gals. It is 70 degrees here this morning and just beautiful. It is supposed to be near 75 so I get to wear capris today again if I want. We are going to go see the movie today since we didn't go the other day. I have been having so much female trouble now I am about to the point of telling them just to yank everything out and I have been adament about not doing it if nothing was wrong with my organs. I just cannot stand much more of this. I have 3 1/2 weeks until my regular dr appt and I am going to impress upon her I need an authorization to make an appt for a consult with the new gyn so I can get this done the first of the year. I am tired of being in pain and dealing with issues that seem to be getting more and more frequent now.

The commissary was an absolute zoo yesterday and we don't even know why. We got there at 9:05 and they open at 9 and there were people everywhere. Luckily, the line to checkout hadn't gotten bad yet, but get through the aisles was nuts. At least we are now done until after we come back from Thanksgiving. I am all ready now with the gifts being done and will start organizing to pack and such next week. Lots of lists as usual since I have to stop mail, take the dog to the groomer, get my nails done and a haircut and color it, etc, etc.

Jean: Here is a great casserole and probably a lot like the ones you make except these have hash browns too. Where I grew up is just about 40 miles from a very large Amish community. They have a lot of influence over food in our area, that and the ethnic Polish and Hungarians and Italians that live in South Bend. The ringing in my ears isn't constant, but it can be quite irritating when it does occur. I try to just ignore it, but usually happens when the house is quiet at night.

AMISH BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

Ingredients
1 pound sausage crumbled or 1 lb bacon chopped and cooked or half and half if you prefer
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions
1. In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion until bacon is crisp; drain. In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir in sausage/bacon mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
2. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

Maggie: My meds all work perfectly together now, so I am not rocking the boat. Like I told Jean it isn't all the time and it is a small price to pay for the meds to work for me. It has taken a long time to get the right combo of stuff.

Well girls, I need to get out of here. I got house chores done, but have some laundry to get folded and a shower to take and get dressed and such. Have a lovely Sunday all. Faye
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's gloomy, chilly, and just started raining which we need badly. The bells made it through the piece in fine fashion according to some of the comments after church. I've read the papers and am thinking a catnap might happen. We are leaving for Sioux City in an hour; Bob needs some white v-neck t-shirts, I want to check on my clock he took in to be fixed last Sunday, and then we will go to the funeral visitation.

"Gma" -- I hope your doctor can give you some worthwhile advice, solution, or plan of action. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It looks simple enough even I can make it.

Maggie -- Thanks for sharing your recipe too! I've never used fennel seeds for anything -- I assume it is a tsp. amount. What do they taste like?

I guess I will put in a load of clothes in the washer before we leave. Enjoy your day whatever you are doing.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Sunny Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful sunny 57 degree day here in the Heartland this day. We just got back from eating lunch then a bit of shopping at the Chinese outlet store. Main thing we went for was fruit, veggies and botled water and flavorings. We hardly ever drink sodas anymore and when we do have one it is a treat for sure. We had a few visitors this day at church ~ always get some from different states this time of the year during phesant seasion. Now deer season is opening up. The farmers around here are very freindly with the hunters because the deer do destroy some of the crops and we have lots of deer. Some of the farmers also rent out rooms for the hunters. A couple of hunters we talked to this day are renting a 3 bedroom house for just $100 a day and that is cheaper than the motels are going for. Plus when several hunters go in together it makes the rent a mere pitance for each of them. Yep, Kansas is a hunter frinedy state. We have met several hunters up from Florida. My lunch didn't sit to well with me and I just took some Alka Seltzer which will do the trick.

DONNA FAYE I am sorry that you are having so much female problems. Surprised really that your doc hasn't perscribed what will help you by now since your problems have been going on for some time now. Guess those folks at the Commissary were getting ready for turkey day. We have decided on a couple of breasts to smoke.

JEAN I did go in and correct that recipe ~ thanks for pointing out the omission. Fennel seeds have a slightly minty taste. It is real easy to make and a crowd pleaser. I have made that for Christmas breakfast several times. Actually a brunch when we have eaten dinner late in the day. I have even baked it in a six muffin pan since it serves 6. Looks great on the plate with a fruit medley and toast triangles. It is a much lower point recipe than others I have.

Have a wonderful afternoon. Type at y'all later.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #14  

Good evening, ladies. 61 degrees right now and another nice day in the 80s tomorrow. My pansies are doing well.

Friday I had day quild guild and agreed to take on the job of membership chairman for the guild (both day and night). I said never again but they couldn't find anyone else that would take it on. Yesterday I had tea with Glory and Norah (who gives the teas) had made Cornish pasties the day before for her family and she brought us some to take home for dinner. They were quite good. Today I went to Sandy's house with another friend and we had a nice afternoon quilting and sewing. Tomorrow is Applique from 10-4 and then Bible study in the evening.

Faye, was the commissary closed for veterans day? Sandy had a holiday since she works at Fort Eustis and everything there was closed. I wouldn't have put up with your female issues this long. You've been very good about doing what they asked but its time to get it over with!

Jean, I knew the bells would be fine today - even if it was complicated.

Maggie, Cecil will probably use the rocks to practice his weight lifting! He sure makes me want to get a new cat.

Have a great evening!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:19 PM   #15  

Maggie -- Our pheasant population is way down for some reason. Bob hasn't done any hunting since Vietnam, but there are a lot of hunters from around here, so he hears the reports on their adventures. I hope the Alka Seltzer settled your stomach. I'd like to do a brunch for Christmas this year although I think I would miss some of the the traditional foods we only have at holiday time. What all did you serve for a brunch?

Susan -- It's hard to imagine you are having 80 degree weather and your pansies are thriving. It was a "warm" 40 when I got up this morning, which is way warmer than usual for us this time of year. I can't help but think we are going to get lam blasted big time, with winter weather, one of these days. You had a fun quilting weekend! I hope being membership chairman will work out to be ok for you; do you have to recruit or just get members to pay each year? I've never had that job in any organization.

It's almost bedtime and I am tired tonight. Ernie and I did have a catnap earlier. I feel like I've spent the last 3 days in the car coming and going for funerals; well, I guess I have. See you all tomorrow.