Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 04:37 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #340

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS AND THOSE WHO STOP IN

It is 94 with 26% humidity here in the beautiful Sierras. I have been making some glass boxes as I wait for the glass to come so I can make some more houses for my village. I like making these little 2 3/4" square boxes and giving them to firends as a surprise. Not for a birthday or any special occasion but as a complete surprise. Right now I am working on one that has a frog of all things on the lid for a friend that collects frog things. She will like it. Thin Within is happy to be back and being fed properly. She didn't like being so ignored of late.

JEAN I don't even think we own an iron ~ wait ~ I do have a small one that I use for sewing. And a real small one for crafts. It is on a wand type thing and the foot of the iron is about a half inch across the wide side of the triangle. You iron if you want my friend, but I just don't chose to.

Have a wonderful Friday and a safe and happy weekend everyone.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-12-2003 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:05 PM   #2  

Maggie: I think we need to be at #340, don't we? Glad you are doing well and the weather sounds marvy! It was a top of 100 today with about 85% humidity which keeps you from even breathing right! I own an iron, but thought it's purpose was to just sit in the cabinet and collect dust!

Jean: Hope you have a nice visit with mil.

We went out and saw Pirates of the Carribean at the movies tonight. It was pretty good, not academy stuff, but had a lot of humor, no naked bodies and no dirty words that I can think of! Unbelievable I know!

I have lost 5.5 lbs, yippee! I hope I am over my hump and getting back to being serious again. It is hard when you have an "eating holiday!"

You ladies all have a nice weekend if we don't talk again!

Gloria, Bubbles, hey to you from down here in Dixie country!

Faye
Old 07-11-2003, 10:52 PM   #3  

We are back home again after an afternoon of play at the lake. We did take the boat out but it was windy so had a rather choppy ride. MIL made a roast beef supper complete with fresh peach cobbler. YUM! I slept all the way home!

Maggie -- I've seen the little craft iron; they are cute! Thanks for starting the new thread!

"Gma" -- You must have gotten our humidity! It is 68 degrees, as I type, and only 40% humidity. I love it!

Have a super Saturday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-12-2003, 12:40 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday morning already....

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is 83 degrees and 33% humidity as I type and we don't have to have the cooler on as of yet. We had so much fun playing that dominoe game last night that I believe my sides hurt from it. I don't know exactly what is on the agenda today for we haven't yet decided. After brunch sometime we will go cruising. O - and BTW I refused any refreshment except water last night.

FAYE you noticed that did ya. Well ya see I did that typo and when I tried to edit it ~ it only takes inside and not out there on the main menu so we are stuck with two 339's for the time being. CONGRATULATIONS on that 5.5 loss! Good to be back isn't it! You go girl. I thought Pirates of the Caribean was a ride at Disneyland.....

JEAN I absolutely adore peach cobbler. What a treat your mother in law made ~ that is if she makes a good cobbler. My mother makes one to die for and I have tried others and hers is still the best.

Have a great OP weekend ya'all and drink that water.
Old 07-12-2003, 01:49 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood as Mr. Rogers would have said! I have laundry going and a pile of catalogs to go to the recycle bag. It's either feast or famine . . . we get no mail or we get scads of junk mail!

Maggie -- Weeellllllllll, to be perfectly honest with you, my grandma's peach cobbler was better than my MIL's! My MIL is one of "those" cooks who doesn't measure anything and just dumps; most of her stuff comes out pretty good though. My grandma may have been the same kind of cook but I don't remember that far back. I just know anything she baked was the best! What kind of dominoe game did you play? We play one when we all get together each summer in MN but I don't know the name of it. My inlaws got started playing when they retired to AZ; some of their friends took the game pretty seriously!

Hope you all are enjoying your Saturday! I need to keep moving!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-12-2003, 02:07 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Smile

JEAN last night we played Chicken Foot. Other times we play Mexican Train. They are both fun games and I never care if I lose or win ~ it is just so much fun and we laugh a lot. Woe to the one who takes it to serious.
Old 07-12-2003, 03:24 PM   #7  

Is Mexican Train the one where you build from the double number (12 and then work on down to 0) in the center, matching the # on the previous domino and drawing if you can't; then use pennies as markers if you can't play but others can play on your train? We gals had alot of fun with that. I think we played Chicken Foot with my inlaws but I don't remember how it goes.

I had to come in this room for more hangers and couldn't resist checking in. Am I addicted or what?

I'm off to iron . . . . . . . . .
Old 07-13-2003, 09:27 AM   #8  

I never cease to be amazed at the fountain of information that comes from you group of ladies. There are actually different types of domino games? My dh's family were rabid players, along with cards, I stink at both, in fact got the poopoo beat out of me playing cribbage with dh last night. NO FAIR NO FAIR, aren't men supposed to be gentlemen?

Maggie: Well that doesn't seem right that you can't change the posting number. Oh, well we are fine the way it is. You know, us older folks have it all over the younger ones for having fun! They see getting flat on the floor drunk in a bar as a whoopeee and we have a blast playing cards, games, etc with friends. I have always loved having friends over and playing cards or whatnot. My sil and dd don't like it and the one other couple we know here are sweet but have no interest either so I really miss it. I love to play Euchre, though again, I am a cowardly player and not very good. DH is a killer at all this stuff so at least it is good to have him for a partner though when we play with my sister and bil it is always men against women. Thank goodness she plays pretty well herself!

Jean: I love cobbler and pretty much hate crust type fruit pie. Stupid I know, but it is a mind thing and with my mind... well you know! I don't think I have ever had any kind of fresh fruit cobbler. I would sure like to try sometime. One thing I really like and most people don't is rhubarb/ strawberry. I grew up eating rhubarb my grandma and mom canned every year and loved the slimy ole stuff when they would cook, sugar and can or freeze it. I never had the pie/cobbler until we went to this restaurant in Amish country in Indiana called Das Essenhaus. Now if you want to EAT, boy go there. You can dine in what they call family style. You get fried chicken and then you can pick either one or two other meats (baked steak, ham, or roast beef), you have a choice of green beans or corn, then you get a salad with this to die for homemade ranch, sweet n sour, or french type dressing, mash pot (real ones not instants), gravy, amish noodles, dressing, and a piece of pie for dessert. They have about 30 varieties of pie. My favorite so far (I am working my way down the list whenever we visit) is Red Raspberry Cream. It is a custard base, red raspberry filling and a good 1/2 inch of whip cream on top. UMMMMUMMM!

As for the movie, I would have named it something else, but who am I to say. It is actually, Pirates of the Carribean, The Curse of the Black Pearl. The black pearl is a pirate ship in the Carribean and uhhhh, it is cursed. Now there is a brainiac title for you! Actually, all kidding aside, it was a good movie and fun because there wasn't a bunch of naked, cursing stuff going on to take away from the plot of the movie.

I watched Wedding Planner on I think it was TNT last night and it is cute, but seems like Jennifer Lopez keeps making the basic same kind of movie, girl meets boy, loves him, can't have him, but boy has to have her, boy and girl get together and live happily ever after kind of movie. Maid in Manhatten is almost exactly like Wedding Planner. I rented How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days last weekend and THAT was funny. Kate Hudson is a dead ringer for her mom Goldie Hawn and even talks and laughs like her. It was really a cute movie.

Well, now that I have filled you in on all the movies, (we a movie fans and I could go on and on with what we have seen in the last 6 months) I won't bore you. If you like history, I would certainly rent Gods and Generals when it comes out. It is a good civil war flick.

Well, need to go about time to get into the pool!

Faye
Old 07-13-2003, 10:08 AM   #9  

Good Morning, Flowers!
I have a few minutes before we head off to church; they combine the two services in the summer and the early birds (like us!) have to wait until 9:30. We should have gone last night but the time slipped right on by.

"Gma" -- When we first moved here, I belonged to Welcome Wagon and we started playing cards in 2 different groups. As couples moved in and out of town, our groups broke away from WW. We were the youngest couple and eventually different members retired, moved, or died. Our groups finally fizzled and we have missed playing cards. We always thought it so ironic that when we no longer needed baby sitters, the groups quit playing! I play "500" with some gals, Sept. through April, but that is the extent of it. Once in awhile DH and I will play gin rummy. My dad loved to play cribbage and taught me how to play. He also taught our daughter and every once in awhile she would beat the socks off him......he used to get so tickled because she would get so excited just waiting to go out. I don't think I have ever made cobbler either; I have attempted pies and think that talent skipped my generation. Mine never even came close to my mom's or my mil's. We aren't much on movies . . . we like the OLD Doris Day/James Garner type where everyone lives happily ever after, no blood and guts, etc. Pretty Woman is my all time favorite! Once in awhile we'll watch one on TV but not very often. I usually fall asleep and miss the ending.

I'd better round up my shoes and get moving. Have a super Sunday, Flowers! Do something nice for yourself!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-13-2003, 01:11 PM   #10  

Jean: My absolute favorite Day/Garner movie is the "The Thrill of it All" I will watch that one over and over and I like the one where she is marooned on a desert island with Chuck Connors and he marries again and she is rescued I think it is 5 years later. I think he marries Polly Bergen? I love dd movies. I like the one with Jack Lennon and the lobsters, Please Don't Eat the Daisies with David Niven (the author of that book just died in January I think she was like 90!) and That Touch of Mink with Cary Grant who I don't care how old he got, he was gorgeous until the day he died. I am a Cary Grant fan too. I am terrible with movie names but I liked the one with I think it was Gene Tierney where he was a OB/GYN named Dr Pretorias and he had like this man servant who had been hanged for murder but lived. That is a really good one. Hume Croyn plays a nasty professor in that one. I also love "I Was a Male War Bride" with Ann Sheridan. When he wears that horsehair wig, I always die laughing. My absolute favorite all time Cary Grant movie is Operation Petticoat with a young and handsome Tony Curtis. I even have that on vhs because I like it so much. I guess I can't even get very far from the Navy! The thing is, nowadays there really ARE women on ships! So, you see I am an oldy and a newy movie watcher. I even watch UGH, westerns and military movies with dh as he loves them (especially Naval ones, wonder why?) I HATE HATE HATE She Wore a Yellow Ribbon with John Wayne and only because I bet I have seen it 30 times. DH loves the dumb thing. My favorite 2 JW movies are Chisum mainly cause there is a LOT of hunks in that movie! I also like Rio Bravo (I think that is the one) He made two movies exactly alike except for character changes. One the drunk sheriff was Robert Mitchum and the other was Dean Martin and the "Young gunslinger type" was James Caan in the one with Mitchum and the hunky Rick Nelson who played Colorado.

Dh had to go into the plant today so I went and did my workout in the pool and hung out in it a few extra minutes, came home, shucked off the suit and stuck it and the clothes in the washer and came up here to goof off. I need to shower and get the clorine off before I start itching so I better go.

Hope you had a good Lord's Day, Jean.

Faye
Old 07-13-2003, 08:29 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Smile The Day That The Lord Hath Made

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely day this day. As I type it is only 94 with 22% humidity and I can live with it. I also like some of the old movies ~ they was just something fresh and different about them. We usually never buy anything that is advertized on TV but when they showed that the best of the old Laugh In series was being put on DVD we just had to have those. They come two shows on one DVD and every other month. We got the first one yesterday and laughed ourselves silly last evening. WOW they all looked so young. Since that program came on late in the eveing way back then I was able to catch most of the programs after my late shift at work. That and Saturday Night Live. I liked it back then but don't care for what it has evolved into these days.

I got another little box made to give to a friend ~ so I was able to give it to her today. I love giving "just becuse" gifts. Box making will slow down when my order gets here and I can get on with my village.

Have a lovely evening Flowers.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:43 PM   #12  

Just peeking in to say "good night." With DH gone, I'm the one who had to double check to make sure the doors are locked. The other night he left the garage door open all night! I'm glad the boogey man or the ax murderer weren't in our neighborhood that night!

"Gma" -- We just watched Cat Ballou again the other night. I like Lee Marvin also. I missed it but DH said Paint Your Wagon was on late . . . we saw that at the cinerama back in the early '70s.

Maggie -- Do you take pictures of your little boxes? DH always says that my mother was scared by a box when she was pregnant with me. I try to save any box that comes into the house! I did let him pitch a bunch this spring. Since the arrival of gift bags I have gotten better.

Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers!

Jean -- off to bed in Iowa!
Old 07-13-2003, 11:59 PM   #13  
Thin Within

JEAN no I didn't take pictures of those boxes ~ didn't even think about it. Lee Marvin is another of the movie stars I met once upon a time. Talked with him when he was making a movie "Shack on the 101" and I knew the owners of the property.
Old 07-14-2003, 03:02 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Arrow Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

WOW the board has a new look ~ I like it. It is going to be a warm one again today but I am so happy we have low humidity. I won't rub it in but I am so he he. It has been so hot during the day that I don't want the top down when we go somewhere. But in the evening when it cools down ~ down comes the top. We watched a show last night that we have never seen before ~ Emmeril ~ and he is an absolute crack up. We had been watching a program about the "old days" and the camp cook on the trail drives and how they managed and it was really facinating. Anyway this program followed and since he was doing "cowboy" food we watched. I am glad we did because there is a web site www.foodnetwork.com where you can go get the recipes. What I wanted was a list of his spices he used for making jerkey and the list he used in his chili. I'll lay off his other things because they didn't seem very points friendly. Well maybe I can lighten the berry cobbler which can be cooked in a dutch oven. We have several dutch ovens and other such items and we like outdoor cooking. When we buy another house we are going to put in an outdoor kitchen. I stayed OP yesterday ~ it was my SHPD.

Have a good Monday day this day my friends. Drink that water!
Old 07-14-2003, 03:52 PM   #15  

Good afternoon one and all!

Maggie: I have never met even one famous person. My dh used to all the time when we was doing field service out of Chicago. He sat next to some big time basketball coach from some college, sat by Timothy Busbee once and said he was really really nice, and Dick Vitale who is a total blow hard! I saw him in the South Bend airport a few years back (his daughter went to Notre Dame) and he had this little entourage and the man is as big an idiot in person as the dope he is on tv. He is totally obsessed with himself!

Well put in my four resumes again today so let's see what happens with them! Got all excited this morning when I saw on caller ID someone calling from a big law firm here, but he had the wrong person though he had the right number.

Jean: I liked Lee Marvin in Paint your Wagon, but Clint Eastwood was young and very handsome so didn't pay much attention to ole Lee! I always sound like I watch movies for the men, don't I?

Dh had to put in 9 hours at the plant yesterday and the problem still wasn't fixed. Jack ended up having to call the supervisor as they couldn't locate anyone else and Jack will not go out on the lagoon alone. Thank goodness because that is pretty fool hardy. You could fall in and no one would know. I was an absolute wreck by the time he got home. On the weekends it is impossible to reach him because the office staff is not out there only the operators (not phone, operators of the sewage machines etc). We got hit with a bad thunderstorm including hail and as I knew he was working outside I was fit to be tied. He got home and said they only got a couple sprinkles out there. Poor guy basically lost his second day off even if he did make about $500 for the day. When he told me that, he laughed and said, "Get that shopping twinkle out of your eye!"

Got in my 45 minutes in the pool and getting in my water Maggie and so far OP!

You ladies have a good afternoon. Hi to Gloria and Bubs!

Faye
Closed Thread