PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default 2011 November PCOS Support Thread!

New thread for a new month! All welcome! Last month's thread is here.
  • Who's here this month?
  • How are you?
  • What are you working on?
  • How was last month?
  • How's your PCOS management going?
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Who's here this month?

ME! Astrophe! 36 yr old SAHM, dx since 2002.

How are you?

Horrible!

What are you working on?

Just trying to be present here. And as normal as possible in my life. I don't think I can make any fitness goals this month. The goal is just to be normal in my life as much as possible even though we're having a health crisis.

How was last month?

Nutty. My Alzheimer dad wigged out BIG TIME. It was a scary 911 scene and Mom and I had to put him in hospital involuntary. He's still there, and we are getting ready for his competency hearing. He's not going to pass. I hope we get made his legal guardians soon so we can sign him up for treatment. Poor guy just freaked out and he def needs a different level of care than we can provide at home. Mom cannot handle him even if I help.

How's your PCOS management going?

Hahahha.

More later.

A.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Who's here this month?

I am! Of course! I love this site!

How are you?

I'm okay. I got my period this morning, which is great. Just had to deal with the PMS these last few days, which is crappy. But I am happy I am getting my period, so yay me.

What are you working on?

Losing weight, of course. I'm still at 164.4 and even though MyFitnessPal swore I would be under 160 by now, that obviously didn't come true!

Actually I'm not too sad about it, my body is slowly losing it and as long as it's slowly losing it, I have no problem. The issue is when I start gaining!

The other thing is that my boyfriend is finally getting on the fitness kick. He wants to help me and I think secretly wants to help himself too, so we're now working out in the mornings (I'll be keeping my evening exercise too).

So, for the next 6 weeks, we'll be doing this and seeing what happens. I think the biggest change will be in him, as long as he starts reigning in the food, but even if he doesn't lose the weight, I'm just happy he's going to be slightly healthier. I don't care if he has some extra pounds, I do care if he has a heart attack or stroke!

How was last month?

Good. The scale started to move again once I cut my calories down. I don't like it, but I'm getting used to it. I like MyFitnessPal because of the app I can put on my phone, the database and the fact that it tells you how well you're doing with calories. Fitday doesn't do that for you and I think seeing the RED when you're over is a good motivator/indicator of what you're doing wrong.

Prevents denial and all.

Good. Still taking my supplements. Getting my period. No crazy other symptoms.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #4  

Astrophe.... I'm really sorry about your dad. I hope that this awful event turns to be the catalyst to get him the help that he needs. I'm really sorry that you and your mom are going through this.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Thanks, Rana. I'm relieved he is finally in hospital. It's been building up to this all summer, I know.

A.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 224/146/147

Height: 5"2

Who's here this month?
me

How are you?
Im ok havent been to good this month with depression and that I did get to goal with weight watchers though

What are you working on?
maintaining my weight loss

How was last month?
Like i said i got to goal andnot been to good

still awaiting my larparoscopy and scan
ems81wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 256/256/180

Height: 5'6

Who's here:

Me! 39yr old newbie from Kent, UK

How are you?
Not too bad. Feeling positive about things in general. I had major back surgery earlier this year and it's nice to be recovered enough and off the serious heavy duty meds to start tackling the weight that has piled on over the last 6 years.

What are you working on?Losing weight. Most of it is, and has always been, on my belly below my belly button. Where are the fairies when you need them

How was last month?
Good! I finally have a gynie who is approachable and female! I started the Metformin and put into place what I need to do to get healthier.

How is Pcos management going?
Early days - but i start my run of norethisterone tomorrow for 14 days to induce a withdrawl bleed at the end and have lots of blood tests done.
treowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #8  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Hey all!

I was just diagnosed with PCOS, so figured this is a good place to jump in.

* Who's here this month? Moi! I'm Jess, aka PghGal. Been around the board for a few months but new to this section.

* How are you? Okay. I'm back OP after the last week and a half of going a little crazy while on vacation. Managed to gain 10 pounds. ( )

* What are you working on? Getting back on track. While I'm not IR (yet), my doc has told me that I'm at high risk for diabetes because of the PCOS and that I REALLY need a normal or just overweight BMI.

* How was last month? Stressful for me. I found a mass in my abdomen while lying on my back. Luckily the doc thinks it's a hernia as opposed to anything else, but I was scheduled for a CT scan which will be happening on Monday. Last month started great but ended horribly because I was on vacation and also stressed about my health.

* How's your PCOS management going? I don't really have any PCOS management yet because I was just diagnosed this week. For now, I'm just continuing to watch my diet as best I can and continue exercising 4-5 days per week. Doc mentioned starting me on metformin but it gave me awful GI issues last time I tried it. (A previous doctor thought I had metabolic syndrome, which it turns out I don't have - it's PCOS instead, I guess.)
PghGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #9  

Glad to have you both on board!!!!!!

I really hope having other people who are managing their PCOS helps you!

Feel free to ask questions or advice or just tell us what you're doing and if it's working (or not!).
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 AM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Nice to see people popping up in the Nov thread!

I'm trying to just be here more. My small plus was decent choices in the hospital cafeteria -- minestone soup and a small slice of pizza with tea. I'm still learning all the choices there so I felt like I made the best of what choices I had yesterday. I'm still learning the parking garage and the floor plan too -- it's like a maze!

I did see Dad, and he's alert, chatty and far less RAGEY than before so whatever meds they have him on for the wild, angry dementia behavior is a plus. We can all make allowances for an elder with memory problem or special needs. But that whole temper fit thing was getting dangerous -- he could hurt himself or someone else that way.

Seeing him again today, I hope.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 11-06-2011 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #11  
Counting down to 1derland

S/C/G: 275/258/145

Height: 5'6"

Who's here this month?
Me! Kelly, 29 years old, mom of 1 girl, girlfriend to an amazing man, working full-time, and finishing school.

How are you?
Tired ;D

What are you working on?
I am working on becoming healthier. I lost some weight at the beginning of the year, then stalled out. I have been back on track for 2 weeks now, and i plan to stay on track this time.

How was last month?
A revelation that I need to kick my butt into gear and get healthy.

Going slow. I am on Metformin 2000 mg/day, gymnema, hormone blend with Vitex/Dong Quai/Red Raspberry Leaf/Black Cohosh, and a multivitamin. I occasionally will drink 3-mint tea, as well.

I have lurked for a while, but I think it's time for me to come out.
Kelly100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

CHECK IN:

Feeling weird. Weight is unstable -- probably hospital food. Been hanging there a lot. It's not bad, but who knows the sodium level? And I feel PMSy. And I want cookies. Sigh.

Dad's competency hearing is tomorrow at the hospital. Who knows how that will turn out?

My goals right now are just to get good sleep, take my meds on time, and try to drink lots of water.

Whatever else has to come once the dad situation is calmer.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 11-08-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #13  
Hopeless Romantic

S/C/G: 217/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5

* Who's here this month? I'm here!!!
* How are you? ok,I have been without power for a little over a week so it has been stressful but I still managed to loose some lbs!
* What are you working on? excersizing, I have been bad lately I just dont have time and when I do I'm exhausted!
* How was last month? It was good, managed to lose weight so overall it was good.
* How's your PCOS management going? I got my period first time in my life without any drugs!! after a perfect 28 day cycle
dys24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Who's here this month? I am!

How are you? Hanging in. Disappointed I had to go back on low dose metformin. Not only did I drop that stubborn 5 pounds (even though I was exercising regularly and eating right), my absent monthly friend made an appearance. I think it is reasonably safe to say that going without is not an experiment I should keep repeating. But I made my first mini-goal so I'm still

What are you working on? Balance in my life. I need to find a way to not be consumed every minute by exercise and correct portion size and find time to do housework, enjoy cooking, and finding out who I am outside of my weight loss struggle.

How was last month? Good overall. I went on vacation and didn't gain any weight, and several people remarked that I looked smaller than the last time they saw me.

How is your PCOS management going? Hard to know. I guess since, as I mentioned before, those couple things happened, it is going OK. I feel good. Now if I could only find something besided spironolactone for my hirsutism...
kyalpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #15  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Checking in. I am exhausted.

Today's goal is just to take care of some bank errands and keep a food log and take my meds. Baby steps.

Dad's dx was major depression with psychotic features (losing touch with reality) and bipolar. Doc says likely going down the dementia/alzheimer road. So he will help with the papers so we can apply for legal guardianship of dad and move forward with his care.

It's a relief, honestly. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but at least we can move forward now.

PCOS wise -- I'm PMSy and sleepy and just trying to take a mental health day here.

Oy.

A.