Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #1  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Default *** November *** Chat

Time for a new month and this can be a difficult one with Thanksgiving in the USA and gearing up for Christmas.

Three weeks from today I'll be gearing up to drive to PA to spend Thanksgiving with my friend down there. I AM 1/4 American! I'm going to work very hard on healthy eating this month because October was a disaster!

There is no more Halloween candy in this house except for what is still in my digestive system. BGL was 4.6 though.

Bonnie, so glad to hear you are getting that tooth seen to. How kind of your friend to help you out.

See y'all later.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #2  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Yeap tomorrow is the day Boy do I hate going to the dentist. But something I have to do so I will have to take it like a big girl and have it done. Took the kids to my Husbands aunts house last night they had fun they played with the baby and had a chance to walk around and see a few people they know. They are 17 and 14 so they didnt go trick or treating. My son who is 22 passed out the candy only had like 10 pieces in the bowl when he was done . But they ordered pizza i had a couple of thin crust slices since I havnt eatin alot the last few days.

Me and my son has been on the net looking for some good version recepies for the holidays he found a few for pumpkin and a pecan will have to look at them and see what ones I want to do. Having a very simple thanksgiven dinner this year.

Hopefully I will be able to check in with you tomorrow sometime so until then......
Old 11-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/157.5/135

Height: 5'1"

Bonnie, hope all goes well at the Dentist tomorrow. I just had oral surgery a week ago to repair some damage done during a root canal 3 yrs ago. Glad after all this time it is feeling better. Kept getting an abcess around the root that was done.

Hope everyone is having a great start for November.

Connie S
Old 11-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Ruthie - I agree the holidays can make things difficult, but I'm determined to be in better condition when I see my doctor in January. I am back on plan too and no more Halloween candy except what the kids got trick r treating last night. I'm a good GM... I won't touch theirs. So I think I'm good now.

Bonnie - I had going to the dentist too, but I love my dentist. He is so good. I always hate changing dentists so hope I don't have to. Glad your friend was able to help you.

Weight is up and the FBS is still high although I didn't hit the candy much yesterday. However, I went to make me some decaf coffee last evening and accidently used the caffine and boy was I in trouble. I went to bed at 11ish and woke up around 12:30 or 1 and couldn't go back to sleep. So I got up and folded clothes. Sinuses were acting up and I decided that it was dust because it has been so nice here that we leave windows open during the day so I decided to dust my room. I couldn't believe that I was doing all this and went back to bed around 3. Got up at 6 as it was DD early morning to school.

Anyway, I'm eating more low carb, but not strict low carb. Got to get some of this fluid off. Wish I could stick to Atkins for a while, but haven't decided that I want to make that commitment. I need to sit and remember all the reasons that I used to love lowcarbing. But I think I can do a moderate low carb.

Fatmad, Rie, Slmn and everyone else... lurkers
Old 11-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Height: 5'3"

Hello all.

Internet trouble and I couldn't get on here this morning. I have been on plan all day. Fbs has been on track all day and so has my eating. We had chef salad at work for lunch. I love it. They put out all these wonderful chopped ingredients so one can construct their own salad. I had a big plate full of lettuce, cucumbers and peppers. I added a little dried cherries and chopped eggs with some low cal dressing. Yummy!

I was glad of the low calories when I came home and ds surprised me with some perfectly grilled lamb chops with roasted corn and steamed veggies. What a great food day!

Good news all! I found out today that I qualify to stay on the januvia. In fact, it will be cheaper for me on the new plan! Yayyyyy!

Ruth, your trip sounds fun. Almost 20 years ago, my bff in grad school spent Thanksgiving with me and my family. All these years later, we have only missed 1 thanksgiving together. She has basically been adopted by my family and my folks refer to her and her family as their "kids". As usual, they are coming up for the holiday.

Trish, I have total faith in your ability to get more healthy before January. Look at how you have been dealing with all your changes! Maybe an exchange plan would work for you if you aren't ready for totally low carb.

Connie S. Hi there! Did I miss your biography? Welcome and happy November to you.

Bonnie I am so glad that you are getting your tooth taken care of tomorrow. I hate the dentist, also, in fact I actually have to take sedatives to get there. But, it will be so good for you to get that tooth out. It is hard on your system to have that infection going on..... There are some really good low sugar pumpkin cheesecake recipes on the food network site. Lots of good things with sweet potatoes, also. I like to mix them with sf maple syrup and mash them. Yum!

My ds has decided that some more excercise would help him to be more active and motivated. This morning I found out that he has started doing Walkitout. Pretty cool. Maybe we will start doing it together sometimes.

I won't be on first thing in the morning so I will check in later tomorrow. Here's hoping for good health and bs numbers in the month of November.

Rie

Old 11-02-2011, 09:00 AM   #6  
Come on Spring!

Good Hump Day to all!

I was on plan just fine yesterday until I spotted chicken wings on the local meat counter and changed my menu. I did them in the oven and made a hot sauce of Franks and some melted Becel Lite and served them with salad. Of course I ate too many!

Weight is till up there this morning but things are "moving" again so there is hope. BGL was 5.3.

I'm feeling a tad gloomy these days - not sure if it's SAD even before the time change, annoyance with gaining weight in October, feeling pre-Christmas community pressure or creeping old fartism! Anyhow I need to shake it off and get on with things. Some outside time this morning may help but won't happen if I don't get off my butt and get out there.

Aside from Hump Day, it's Bonnie's tooth removal day.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #7  

Ruthie - Sorry you are feeling Sad. Maybe you need to do something "SPECIAL" for Ruthie. I've been feeling a little like that and I think it is the change in weather although I like it cooler but not as cold as it is in the mornings. I saw a pic of myself at our ground breaking celebration for the new church and couldn't believe how grey my hair had gotten. I quit having it highlighted because the perms don't last long enough. But I'm throwing caution to the wind and getting my highlighting done today or tomorrow. Turns out SIL is off today and he is sooooo good to let me sleep in and takes care of the baby himself. I've put a call into my beautician this morning to see if she has an opening today otherwise will keep my appointment for tomorrow afternoon. Gaining the weight in October hasn't helped me either. WE HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE RUTHIE AND WE WILL DO IT AGAIN. I think we have to relax and just do our best. Strange thing is that I've always done better dieting during November and December. So I'm going to use this time to get with it again.

My weight was down 2 lbs this morning, but my FBS was high again this morning. I can't seem to get them both down at the same time. It is running between 160s - low 190s lately. Strange thing is it goes back down in 120s - 130s. Doesn't seem to matter what I eat it always does the same. Really wierd thing is that every once in a while it will throw in a FBS of 115. Maybe it is the stress. I have to say that I really enjoyed eating more low carb yesterday. I used to do so well with the Carbohydrate's Addict woe. Maybe I should go back to it or at least similar to it.

Fatmad if you are reading this... the doctor doesn't worry about this because the A1c is normal, but I'm wondering if I need something like Glyberide to take with the Metformin. Do you think it would help if he would consider it? I hate taking it because of the chances of lows, but I have read bad things about the bs running so high. Just wondering what your opinion is. Sure hope you are getting help with the hives. Usually if my bs is wild like this, my first sign is hives. But I'm not having any of that this time. Maybe I need to just get the weight off and hope it will correct itself. So believe me when I say I really understand how you are suffering and I really pray you get relief ASAP.

Since I have the day off from babysitting, I plan to go window shopping and get some walking in whether I go to beauty salon or not. Going to make this a "me" day.

Rie, Bonnie, Slmn and others reading :hi:

Y'all have a great hump day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 11-02-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #8  

Good Morning all.

I didn't think that I would be here this morning but things changed.... fbs at 81 this morning and I got in a 75 minute walkitout routine. Except for my partying on Saturday, I have been on plan with eating for almost 2 weeks. I have been keeping up my normal food and bs log but I also started tracking in MyPlate. It is giving me all the nutritional info. It seems to be helping. For me, knowing that I must write every bite down really helps me to stay on plan.

Ruth, Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real drag! It is a little early for you to experience symptoms but not unheard of. You know the cure.... a little natural sunlight each day. Also, are you taking vitamin D?

Bonnie, Hugs to you and thinking of you today.

Trish, do you track your bs readings? and your food? Your dr might be able to make better decisions if he saw the readings that you are getting. You also might be able to see patterns that you didn't see before.... I have an excel spreadsheet that I would be happy to message you if you want it. Hang in there.

Fatmad, I am thinking of you and I hope that things are improving for you... Hugs

Everyone else, BBL

Rie
Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #9  
Bonnie

I am back from the dentist had my tooth pulled. They are gonna work with me to do some of the other work that needs to be done... Got me some soup for lunch and I will be taking a nap was up at 6 am thinking about this appointment. Dr said good thing I came in cause the tooth was absence and it has been for sometime that it was starting to affect my jaw bone. He showed me the xrays they were creepy. But I am doing good and I will check back in later.

Hope all is having a good day..
Old 11-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #10  

Bonnie, So glad it went well with the dentist. You will feel so much better now!

Trish, A free day! Good for you that you are planning some "Trish" time!

Rie, I track my food/calories through "Diet Power" software. It also gives nutritional breakdowns - a real eye opener. I am paying much more attention to my sodium now, didn't realize how some of my favorite low cal foods are laden with sodium.

Fatmad, I had a really bad case of hives a couple of months before my diabetes diagnosis. No one ever related it back to the diabetes, but guess that could have been the problem. Hope your's are getting better.

Ruth, Hopefully the weather is good where you are so you can get out and lose those glums! Seems like this time of year I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. Hope for some decent weather to get out and walk.

I am looking into starting an AquaZumba class. It is on Tuesday and Thursday mornings before work. Should be interesting and hopefully the change in exercise will get my weight loss moving again.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Connie S
Old 11-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #11  
Come on Spring!

Thanks, Chickies. I am making an effort to get out of this "trench". I do take Vitamin D and am trying to get outside daily. Two hours of garden clean-up yesterday really helped. I know part of the problem is having gained weight in October - ten pounds is a lot - and that it is not going back down. I have made a list of things that make me feel good and am going to do at least one a day.

Bonnie, glad the tooth episode is done. Teeth can really affect your health so I hope things improve for you.

FBGL low at 3.0 this morning - time to adjust the meds again although I realize now that I had an early and low-carby supper because of a 7 PM meeting. By the way, I left the meeting - my new resolution is to just leave boring situations and the speaker was incredibly boring!

Happy Thursday, Chickies, and do something nice for yourself today.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #12  

Good Thursday Morning Chickies

Ruthie So glad you are doing things to do that make you feel good. I think we have to do that sometimes. And you are a busier lady than I am so I think you probably do like I do... you do more for others than you do for yourself. You do it on a greater scale than I. We have a tendency to do for someone else first and sometimes we get left out. I understand about the gain. I could just myself for letting myself get back in this situation because it takes so long for me to get it off again especially at this age. My ticker is way off right now. But we will get it back down. We don't give up and that is the key.

Bonnie So glad the tooth is taken care of and that you did it in time. Also glad you will be able to get other work done. It will make you feel better. I had not been able to get my teeth done for years and I can't tell you the difference it has made to have healthy teeth again. I can eat foods like raw carrots that I could not eat before because it hurt gums.

Rie I've been checking my bs before and after meals the last few days. Last night before dinner it was 105 mg. I remember reading that a doctor said the important thing isn't so much the FSB as what it is later in the day. So I believe if I can get the weight going down, the FBS will follow. I realized to that I'm going to bed about the same time as I always did, but because of me taking care of the baby and seeing the kids off, I am getting up about 2 hours earlier. Yesterday I took my FBS later in the morning and it wasn't real low like I want it but it wasn't so high either. I need to go to bed about an hour earlier than I do. I have also had to cut my Metformin back down to 1,000 mg a day because my system can't seem to handle the 2,000 mg. I can't deal with the diahrea because it is so severe that I don't make it to the potty. (I know too much info) The doctor said I could take the 2 if my system could handle it, but it can't. I think I will have to do it with diet and exercise.

Connie The AquaZumba sound like fun. Good luck with the class.

Fatmad Hope you are getting over the hives. Miss hearing from you.

DD has finals for this quarter today and should be home early. We hope she gets her schedule for next quarter today as well. Keep hearing different stories of what it will be. So we think even the teachers don't know yet. Any way, if she comes home early DH and I are going to have an afternoon out together. He has to go get blood work down for the coumadin and then we might try out a barbecue place he say when his son took us out for Cuban food when he was here. We are bad about saying we are going to try out a new place and then end up at the same old places. I can tell he is getting depressed and I need to find a way to get him out of the house and help pull him out of it. Out to eat and shopping will be good for him. He is a movie buff and loves buying them. I am a person who would never set down and watch a movie by myself, but will watch them with him and family. Give me a good book or a good computer game and I'm happy. LOL

Well, DGS if getting fussy. He is probably ready for breakfast so I better get busy. Hope everyone has a really great Thursday.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #13  
Bonnie

Thanks Everyone. I am sitting here eating me some oatmeal and Light and fit yogurt for breakfast dont want to eat too much and disturb my tooth from healing. My gums dont hurt where the tooth used to be but they have made some of my other teeth start hurting. That lady who cleaned them sure wasnt gentle . The lady called me yesturday and gave me a price list on what needed to still be done and it came out to 576.00 . She said call her when I get the money even if I can only afford to do one thing at a time.

I am feeling pretty good right now took a pain pill last night hoping it would make my other teeth stop hurting and it did and I had the best sleep . Now I have bills to pay so I better be getting done her.

Rie the first thing I am doing this morning is ordering walk it out
Old 11-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #14  

Good morning!

fbs up a little at 91 this morning, possibly because it was in the mid 70's at bedtime There was a big sale at a local department store and I got a few new tops and sweaters yesterday. I have been wearing the same thing over and over because the weather has gotten so chilly and I don't have any appropriate clothes. I hate shopping for clothes but my mom was with me and it made her happy.... I still struggle with clothes shopping because my standard for years has been, "is this big enough to cover me?". Trying to find things that actually are attractive is a little un-nerving. Oh well, new adventures!

Bonnie, I am so glad that you are doing better. I totally understand the whole post-tooth cleaning pain. It will get better.

Trish, here's hoping that you and dh get a little R&R time today! It sounds like you are getting the bs thing figured out. I know that I only post about fasting bs in the mornings but I am still testing 4x per day. It is like my security blanke..... Dr says I don't have to but it makes me feel better and I am getting such a good deal on my strips right now - $15 per month.

Ruth, good for you! Life is too short to spend it on boring/irrelevant stuff. Hopefully, the fall cleanup and heading into the positive aspects of the holidays will bring your mood up. So, how long (distance) is your trip to PA?

Connie, I hear you on the sodium! I have been totally shocked at my sodium load and I am not sure how much I can do about it at the moment. If it's not one thing, its another....

Fatmad, I sincerely hope that things are improving for you. I like to think that you are occasionally checking in here and just don't have the time/energy to post. So, know that we are thinking of you.

Have a great and healthy day, everyone!

Rie
Old 11-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #15  

Had a great night last night, only evening eating was an apple with 1 tbsp of peanut butter. Wasn't going to have anything, but my Blood Sugar was down to 60 so needed something. My evening eating/grazing has been bad lately and it shows on the scale and in my morning BS levels.

Had first AquaZumba class this morning - lots of fun! Also did a 30 minute (1.5 mile) walk at lunch.

Weighed in at 161.5 this morning.

Rie, I have only bought 1 new pair of slacks since losing 50 lbs. I bet it felt good to be trying on some new styles!

Bonnie, it took my tooth almost a week before the pain was completely gone. Hope you will be feeling back to normal quickly.

Trisch, its always fun to try a new restaurant. We're like you, just head to the old standbys. And I love barbeque! Hope you have a great time.

Ruth, Hope you can get out today and soak up some weather! It was 45 degrees when I went out for my lunch walk, didn't feel that warm! My hands were freezing. Need to hunt up my winter gloves.

Fatmad, hope all is going well for you.

Hope everyone is having a great day.

Connie S
Closed Thread