Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

Default Has anyone else hit a big milestone and then reverted to bad habits?

I just recently hit 100 pounds lost and this past week I have repeatedly made bad choices. I know when I'm doing it that I shouldn't be. I am the one in charge of my choices and I know I still have so much more work to do. I am not done yet and I know I have to make this a lifestyle change and at no point will it ever be acceptable for me to eat the way that I did to get myself up to over 300 pounds. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through something similar?
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #2  
Started IP 10/21/15

S/C/G: 243/238.8/170

Height: 5'4"

Oooooh yeah...I got down to 170-ish before and all h**l broke loose. That's how I ended back up to 232.

The good lessons I learned from gaining back the weight is that I can lose it if I put my mind to it, and that it WILL come back on if I don't hold myself accountable for my actions.

Sounds like you already have both parts of those lessons mastered. Now it's time to take action and start making good choices again!
PreciousMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've had a lot of ups and downs, during this weight loss journey and small setbacks and mistakes. The difference "this time" is that I don't let the setbacks convince me that I'm doomed to failure and obesity, so I might as well give up and at least get to eat whatever I want.

Most of my life, I felt like I had two choices - eat whatever and whenever I wanted and be hugely obese - or "perfect" dieting with a single, perfect weight target in mind.

If I wasn't perfectly on plan, it would convince me that I was "doomed anyway" so I might as well give up all the good habits I'd acquired.

I don't think that way anymore. Now, "every bite," every good habit "counts," and even if I get lax and lazy for a while, it does NOT mean that I can't or won't succeed.

So I have a lot of not-so-great days, but I don't let them become lousy weeks and months.

Before I only had two speeds - lousy and perfect (full speed ahead, or full speed backwards). Now I have a lot of different "settings" and most of them are moving me forward - not always at a high speed - but usually moving forward rather than backward.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #4  
MariaGrazia

S/C/G: 163/149/125

Height: 5.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
If I wasn't perfectly on plan, it would convince me that I was "doomed anyway" so I might as well give up all the good habits I'd acquired.
this seems to be typical of the "all-or-nothing" mentality; I am pretty the same. if i ate something that in my diet (or in my mind!) was "prohibited", be it a cookie or an apple or whatever, i ended up binging... and honest but sad, it's still happening (thank god less frequently)
good luck to you all. to us all!!!
magraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #5  
Forever Optimistic

S/C/G: 232/174/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMissy View Post
Oooooh yeah...I got down to 170-ish before and all h**l broke loose. That's how I ended back up to 232.

The good lessons I learned from gaining back the weight is that I can lose it if I put my mind to it, and that it WILL come back on if I don't hold myself accountable for my actions.

Sounds like you already have both parts of those lessons mastered. Now it's time to take action and start making good choices again!

Oh too funny. That's my range too! Over they years I've gotten myself down to 179 then I hit a plateau, get discouraged an several years later I've gained it all back.

This time around I lost 30 lbs fairly quickly then stalled just above/below the 200 lb mark. Never have I plateaued this early before. This time though I managed to fluctuate within a 10 lb range for nearly nine months and got right back on track in earnest once this past spring rolled around. Just this week or so I've yet again hit 179. The last twenty or so pounds have been excruciatingly difficult to lose. I'm scared that I'm going to plateau at this mark, just like I always have. But maybe this time around I'll get past it and stay the course. Shoot, I've never made it off of a long-term plateau before, but I've managed to do so this time around so maybe I can get past any plateau that comes my way.

Fingers and toes and les crossed for good luck!
Napia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 169.75/125/125

Height: 5'2.75"

It hit my 30 pounds lost goal recently and have taken my foot off the gas a bit. I haven't reverted back to completely bad habits, mainly because I can't physically eat as much as I used to (!), but I have been eating out a lot more then normal for me.

I'm still exercising just as much as I was previously however, and have even kicked it up a notch, which has stalled my weight loss (it does that for me at least) and made me a bit frustrated in the process. That, combined with being 2/3rds of the way to my goal is what led to me to relax my guard a bit. I'm getting back on track now with food, but it's only for another week or so as I'll be going on vacation and indulging in foods I only get to eat once every year - 18 months.
d130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:40 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4''

Back in June I hit 20% weight loss. I'm 4 pounds heavier now (and surprised it's not more). I think transitioning from college student to unemployed graduate had a lot to do with it, as well as self-sabotage. I think being 2 pounds from the 140's and 7 from a nomal BMI really messed with me.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #8  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

*Raises Hand*

And still struggling. I finally figured out why I was getting stuck at 235 forever, at first I thought it was just getting so tired of dieting, after nearly 2 years of it, then I thought it was because recently I kept having these mini binges, just enough to keep me maintaining my weight, which was technically true. But what was causing the mini binges? I forced myself to digger deeper.

It was my husband! Not blaming him, but seeking the source. The whole time I was dieting, he was not. He ate massive amounts of food in front of me and gained and gained, all while I white knuckled being on my diet. I lost half the 160 pounds I wanted to lose and then promptly got stuck. Now, because of our plan to return to Europe permanently, I went to help my daughter with her children while her husband is deployed and this helped me earn a good chuck of money to put towards our move. Since we are separated for a year, my plan was to surprise him by being at goal when I returned. But he decided to go on a diet and within 3 months loses an incredible 60 pounds! I mean, just like that! In fact, every day that I talk to him, he has lost another .4 or.6 pounds! This not only floored me, but caused me intense jealousy! I admit it, it was so petty to feel this way, but inside I was smoldering with resentment.

Of course I am happy that he is getting healthier, no doubt about that, and for a while I could not figure out just why I was so angry about it. I know I felt resentment when he would eat fast foods and second helpings and candy in front me, oblivious to my hunger, and while I struggled to lose even 5 pounds in a month, he has such apparent ease at losing when he puts his mind to it. But I finally realized that it was the feeling that he was stealing my grand entrance! Here I was going to surprise him, but instead he will be the thin one at goal when I return. In fact, if I do not get this return to bingeing under control, he will once again weigh less than I do. For 7 years of our marriage I was the heavier one, now, for the last two years, I have weighed less. It's all so convoluted. He's soon surpassing me and I feel the fear of failure.

Deep down, it wounds my sense of self. I wanted to please him, but now, being so high on his own weight loss, I fear he will not see me at all. When I realized this deeper sense of failure happening within me, I understood what all the bingeing was about. Lack of self confidence, confronting my fears of failure. It's so much easier to give up than face the music.

Yes, yes, I do understand it is far better to both be healthier and we do support each other daily on this journey. It is much easier to be on the same page, but all my dreams of getting off that airplane and seeing his reaction have all been destroyed. It was my motivation all this time. Now, through my own mistakes and self indulgences, I will not make my goal. I wasted 5 months and now have to take off a regain in my weight.

Perhaps, if you look closer at what those feelings deep down are brewing, you will see the road block to losing the final pounds. it may be more than just the return of bad habits, it may be a way of using food to block the rising fears.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #9  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yes. And I don't know if it was the significance of 100 lbs or because my body is at the weight it wants to be. But I've basically been maintaining for 14 months now because every time I try to cut calories just a bit further or increase the exercise I find myself eating in ways that I haven't for many, many years. I go back and forth on convincing myself to maintain my healthy lifestyle and remain 20 lbs overweight or talking myself into a "final push" that results in behaviours I don't like.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:50 PM   #10  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Hi, this is me!!! I hit 110 pounds lost at the end of July, and I began a massive pig-out that now has me in a cycle of "eat crap on weekends, try to fix it all during the week, eat crap on weekends, try to fix it all during the week"...I try really hard to stay within my calorie range, but it seems like half of some of my weeks have consisted of me not being within my range. Maybe I'm just letting go because of all the restriction from calorie counting to lose weight in the first place, but I want to be careful that I don't end up gaining back 110 pounds, let alone 10!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Yes, I dropped 50 pounds a few years ago, then slowly reverted back to the bad habits that put it on in the first place. It was like I was sabatogaing myself, like I didn't deserve to be at a healthy weight. I'm still trying to get back down and fight my subconscious.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #12  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

I was recently reading about the body and it's sole mission to keep an even balance within. Anything that is not consistent, signals alarms within. When we lose a great deal of weight, the body fights to find a way to keep a balance and may trigger urges to eat a lot. There may be a combination of natural urges with our desire to quit reducing the food intake that get tangled up and hard for us to see what is going on. We think it is "us" that is failing, when it may be partly instinctual. It seems to be very common to return to binge patterns after massive weight loss and it may partly be the body reacting. I read that it can take a long time for the body to sense a new permanent weight, mostly through steady calorie intake, not wildly fluctuating intake. That of course is the recommendation with maintenance, to maintain the calories that is necessary to maintain weight, but there is a biological reason for it too.

I have been struggling for so long to get from my bouncing all of the place calories back down to my weight loss level. I think I need to do what worked in the beginning, lower them a bit each day until I am at my weight loss level rather than go from 2000-3000 calories to 1100 within 24 hours. I wonder if I am triggering that instinct to eat when I am trying to go from one extreme to the other.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #13  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i hit the 50 pound mark and the bad habits started sneaking back in. fast food here, a candy bar there, bedtime snacking on occasion.

i went from 300 to 250, hit a plateau (did everything right, didn't lose a thing) and the frustration caused me to just stop trying so hard. i've been bouncing around in the same 5 pounds since july! i had a 'give up' mentality for a bit, then decided maintaining is better than gaining it back. right now, i admit i'm not pushing as hard as i was (my husband told me he felt like i was married to the scale, not to him!), but i haven't completely reverted.

but it's like the next 50 pounds (destination ONEderland!) are looming large, where the first 50 seemed to come off without much trouble at all. but i consider myself successful anyway, because i still exercise and my cardio workouts are getting longer and longer without me feeling like i'm gonna die.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Another thing that causes me problems is that just one bad day doesn't cause big gains for me, so I'll have those little indulgences every once in a while and not see a big jump in the scale until I've made those little idulgences a daily or weekly thing. It gives me a false sense of it's ok, and one day I'm on the scale and I'm thinking, "when did this come back?"
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #15  
Just another girl.

All the weight I need to lose now? I've already lost once in the past So I sure have.
Raine is offline   Reply With Quote