Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-31-2011, 03:42 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default November Running!!!!

Alright I'm a day early, but here it is another month and the year is almost over - let's finish it strong. Share your running here with all of us from all walks of the running spectrum. 1 mile, 5K, 10K - we don't care RUN!!!!

My goal this month is to try and participate in the thread a bit better. I've been a little off the map, but running all the while. Been running less while nursing a few injuries and gearing up for my next training cycle and now I can't delay anymore. Today marks my first "official" day of training for the LA Marathon in March - and wouldn't you know it - I'm going to miss today's 3 miler LOL! Great way to start off. The story is that I ran a fabulous 7 miler yesterday and then spent 8 hours walking around at Disneyland and waking up at 4 am for a 3 miler was just not happening today. And I won't be able to make it up after work being Halloween and having a 3 year old that has to show the neighborhood his awesome costume. It's the third time I've started this training, I can't remembered why I restarted the first time, but this last time was due to injury.

My injury update is pretty good. Things aren't 100%, but am seeing a lot progress. So I think my strategies of incorporating lots of stretching (in the almost 2 years I've been running I've never stretched), foam rolling, sticking, changing my route to include hills only 2xs a week instead of 4xs, spinning, resting when necessary and pulling a run early if there's pain is working. It's a lot of work, but I think I'm realizing I'm not as young as I used to be and being a long distance runner is more than just running. It's such a learning process. My next thing will be ice baths - burrrrr!

So my next running focus is going to be on fueling strategies and recovery strategies. I need to determine at what point I must eat prior to running (at this point up to 15 miles with no food) and at what point I must include fuel during a run (at this point I'm gooing ever 5 miles for runs 10 miles or more). Additionally, at what point do I need the recovery drinks. There's so much info out there I've finally just learned it's all personal preference. Sure there's science there, but so much of it is conflicting, so I'll just focus on what works for me.

So that it for me today - happy running!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 137.5/137.5/120

Height: 5'6"

I'm going to work my way back to running 30-45min x3 a week. I typically run 10 minute miles, even when I'm in great shape, simply because that's what feels good for me! Right now, I'm just re-starting workouts after 3 years of less than wonderful habits. It was a cold morning and I'm not sure where my cold weather running gear is, so I went to the gym. We just got a membership and I'm putting it to good use. I walked 2 minutes, ran 13 minutes at about 6.5mph, then walked another 2 minutes before hitting the weights. I must find my outdoor gear because running on a treadmill is painfully boring to me!

Good luck to all
Jingabooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 289/220/189

Height: 6'1"

I am training for a half marathon in January. I run 3 to 5 miles 3 to 4 times during the week, then get a long run in on the weekends. This weekend I will run 7 miles. I just had my best 5k time this past Saturday, with a 25:30. I have gradually increased my times by 5 minutes and 30 seconds since my first 5k in April. Here's to Cool Runnings in November!
crainjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #4  
To the Future

S/C/G: 230/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

c25k Week 7 Day 1 DONE!
aka8941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/184/140

Height: 5'6"

I have never been much of a runner, but I enjoy it. I have decided to run/walk a 5K with my family on Thanksgiving morning, so I am going to start preparing for that this week.
I have never really paid attention to how far a 5K actually feels to me, so I went on a 5K walk through the neighborhood today to get a feel for it.
It took me 55 minutes, this was only walking, while pushing 23 lbs of toddler in her stroller, in 25-30mph winds, haha.

In the past, I have only run a mile or a mile and a half at a time. So, I am excited to push myself and see how I can progress. I will update here as I go! Thanks for reading.
chickwithagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #6  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Well, I guess I am officially a winter runner because I just bought an Under Armour top for the cold -- and I bought a Spi Belt to keep my phone and ID in! I am currently just running 5k three times a week and that's how I'd like to keep it for now. It's just enough time for me to sweat and clear my head for the day. I'm an early morning runner before breakfast and I truly enjoy it! My DH and I are TTC this month, so we'll see what happens. I know a woman who was running up until her 8th month of pregnancy, so that gives me hope...I'd hate to give this up!
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #7  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

hi everyone! i completed my first ever 10k on sunday at the time i was aiming for 1:04. it isn't very fast but it was my first race and the longest distance i've ever run is 7 miles, so 6 in an hour isnt bad.

now that its over, i decided to stay in and rest last night for two reasons, the first being that i raced on sunday and the second being that i didnt feel like running around all the trick-or-treaters in my neighborhood. i was worried that i would gain but i strictly adhered to my 1300 calorie limit and i actually saw a loss this morning!

i feel better though, after I run, so its time to get back on the horse and get in a 4mile run today. I paid the dues to join my local running group and will start with them on saturday and am thinking of a december 10k before i my half marathon in the spring..
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Yay to all the runners! I ran 4 miles on my lunch hour today. Here's the funny thing, back at work I was outside stretching afterwards and an acquaintance walked by and said "Hey - I didn't know you are a runner." Immediately I said "I'm not!" and he said "Well, didn't you just run?" "Um...Yes" "How far?" "4 miles." "I think that makes you a runner."

It's funny because even though I am running 10-14 miles per week, I don't think of myself as a "runner". What officially makes someone a runner?
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #9  
Closet health nut!

I don't think there's an exact definition to what makes someone a "runner", if you run, you're a "runner" For me thought, I think it was more mental. I can't remember when it happened that I actually considered myself a runner and was comfortable labeling myself that way, probably after my first half-marathon. Now I'm gradually transistioning into considering myself a distance runner. Regardless, don't sell yourself short - you are a runner! All of us are, regardless of distance or speed.

Jay - Keep and eye on that 1300 calorie limit. In my personal experience that's too low for a runner to acheive optimal weight loss and performance, especially at the half marathon level. It's hard enough to lose weight while running greater distances, add super low cal to that and it's even tougher.

Strength training and yoga today, but I may throw in a few miles to warm up because I missed my run yesterday and I'm itching to run. I feel like an addict - LOL!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #10  
In the desert...

I haven't posted in a while as my running has been very uninspired. DH and I were signed up for a half marathon in early December but due to a couple of injuries on my part and lack of training on his (he's been busy with school) we've opted not to push it. I know I can't do 13 miles right now and it's not worth risking further injury just to prove something to myself. We do, however, have a 12k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning so I'm still doing that. My longest race (and run!) was a 10k but I think that extra mile won't be too much of an issue. My last long run was 5 miles and while it wasn't stellar, it was manageable so I'm hopeful. My mother is running the 5k companion race and I'm hoping she'll win her age group - especially as right now she's the only one in it! Can't wait for those days - I seem to be in the largest age group at most 5k and 10k races!
julesp313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #11  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

I did my 1st 5k on Oct 15 with some friends they are part runners and walkers and we go to and exercise class togther so I decided on a fluke to join in. I ran a tiny bit with the dog last summer. They all ran ahead but I managed to run most of it at least the part that was on dirt {which I pefer to run on}.ANYWAYS I am now HOOKED I am signed up for another on Nov 5th and have been running about 4 days a week. The last 3 days I am up to running the whole 3 miles with an elevation gain of about 240 ft.and today did it in 37 min I run on trails on dirt roads mostly.I am 59. I know this is not fast but am proud of my self. I have been in pretty good shape but fell into a depression last year and lost some of my stamina for exersise and gained 20 lbs. I still look good and most people do not consider me overweight or out of shape but....I have backslid so I am really feeling that RUNNING is helping give me the lift I need. THANKS for listening.

Last edited by devadiva; 11-02-2011 at 01:01 PM.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #12  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

oh dear. i went out for my 4 mile yesterday and my body just wasnt having it. i felt exhausted from having parent conferences this week and after mile 2 my knee started giving out due to my lazy gait. i threw in the towel and walked home to rest.

i exchanged my watch only HRM for one with a chest strap though, hopefully to keep me motivated for my thursday run. i guess i learned that sometimes i need to listen to my body. however, starting thursday it'll be back to business !

ncuneo- thanks for the advice. being at 1300 may be part of my lack of energy. I'm trying to find a balance between eating too much in compensation for exercise and not.
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 177.7/150.8/132

I got back into running today

I was rather disappointed though!!! I used to run 3 miles a few times a week before the summer and today I only managed 1.5 in 20 minutes!!! I know, it's embarrassing because there are plenty of people who are much heavier and can do much better!

It'll pick up, I'm just (really) out of shape! We can do it
nevaeh1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #14  
Closet health nut!

Well...big news - I officially registered for the LA Marathon yesterday, no refunds, no turning back, it's real now...ahhhhh!!!

3 miler yesterday, nothing to really talk about there. Spin and strength training today, intervals tomorrow.

Lots of new faces - wecolme! Keep it up everyone!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 163/145/125

I've been on and off the thread for a while, but I am hereby committing to being a more committed poster

So far, November is not my month. I've been struggling in the healthy eating department and I decided to throw some strenth training into the mix which has left me too sore to hardly get up from my chair at work much less run, LOL! I WILL NOT GIVE UP!! I'm training for my first half marathon in December. My fiance was going to be doing his first full but hasn't had time to train properly so he is going to be doing the half with me. My long runs are up to 9 miles - I do my first 10 miler this Sunday! I am slow - on long runs I average about 12:30-13:30 pace and shorter runs around 11:30, but I have started paying more attention to my heart rate than my pace to gauge my intensity level (I <3 my new Garmin Forerunner!!)

Happy running, ladies!
hdallas78 is offline   Reply With Quote