WW Food and Point Issues ...other than recipes

Old 10-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #1  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Questioning points vs. calories vs. carb-counting

I've been doing WW for about four weeks. Haven't lost an ounce. In fact, I've gained. So I started tracking calories again and comparing it to points. As an example, today I've had 28 points. I still have another 19 to go for the day. But I've also eaten 1750 calories and I've only had four servings of vegetables today. I've only had 26 gm net of carbs.

It's only 3 p.m. I know I'm going to get hungry around dinner. I can load up on veggies and not go over on carbs and calories, but I won't come close to getting in all my points.

If I've been eating at points for the last three weeks, does that put my caloric intake too high?

(Just FYI - I am currently eating very low carbs, lean proteins and healthy fats - a Paleolithic diet. I feel really good when I eat like this, but I'm afraid that working with the points system gets my calories too high to lose weight.)

Would love to see some discussion here about this. Thanks.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 168/168/140

Height: 5'5

This is day 2 for me coming from LC and trying to do a moderate (50-80) carbs a day WW points program, so the verdict is not in yet. Without knowing anything about your current weight/activity very hard to say if too many calories. But if you are gaining something must change.
Dee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

I was on the WW boards last night on their website and found others experiencing the same. It seems for us bigger folk, the WW points calculator cranks out bigger numbers. I'm nearly 6' tall and weigh 304 lbs. I was assigned 47 points. I exercise an hour daily, I don't eat past the 47 points and I'm not losing.

I'm going to restrict my points to 40/day for the next week and see what happens. Others talked about cutting their points too. From what I could tell, 29 points seems to be the minimum, but a few also stated that even at 29 points, they weren't losing weight. But they were tiny to begin with.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
today I've had 28 points. I still have another 19 to go for the day. But I've also eaten 1750 calories and I've only had four servings of vegetables today. I've only had 26 gm net of carbs.
I think there is something wrong with how you are counting points. I have been following counting WW points and counting calories for almost a year. For the past several months I've been eating lower carb. I am not a big fruit eater but do eat veggies.

For me, I find that if I count my total calories for the day (including any fruits and veggies) and record points plus that 1 PP equals an average of about 38 calories. This does vary a bit depending on what I eat. 1 PP can be as little as 37 calories and as much as 41 for me. I have been eating lower carb for a few months. I'm currently at 80 net carbs I day having worked my way up.

So if you eat 28 PP and 1750 calories that is about 62 calories per point. That just isn't correct. Even under Momentum points where points were more calories each my average calories per point was between 47 and 50 depending on what I eat.

So -- either you aren't counting calories correctly or you aren't counting points correctly. The only way you could get to the calories you are talking about would be if you were eating huge amounts of zero point fruit but it doesn't sound like you are doing that.

It is true that higher fat food is penalized by the WW PP system and low carb diets are necessarily higher fat. When I was eating 25 to 40 net carbs I was finding that if I ate the same calories that I ate when I wasn't eating lower carb that I would be eating more PP due to the higher fat. Still that was increasing my calories by about 100 or so.

Basically I don't think it is possible to eat the number of calories you indicate and have that equal 28 points.

It might help if you could post what you ate today and portion sizes and how many points you counted each item as since I think there is something going wrong with your calculations of either points or calories.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

I don't understand how I can be off on counting points if I enter everything that I eat onto their website tracking system. And I've been tracking calories for quite some time and believe to be very accurate. But now that I look things over a little more on the WW website, I may not have been accurately accounting for points on some items.

I eat a lot of zero-point vegetables (at least 8 servings daily) and only one piece of fruit. Since I don't eat grains I need to get the fiber somewhere, and it's a struggle, but the grains and legumes really do a number on me so I have to avoid them. I do tend to eat more fats, but they're from healthy fat sources such as nuts, seeds and avocados. I do cook with coconut oil. And I eat around 80 gm of protein.

I decided to cut points down to 40 or less. But yesterday I achieved satiety with 36 points and still went off my plan with overindulging on chicken, and I broke my rules and had some bread, cheese and a little sugar. That worked out to 1796 calories. 165 g of carbs, 21 gm of fiber, 76 gm of fat and 122 gm of protein.

I'm not going to worry about this tracking thing. I wanted to know if other experienced the same thing as I did. I am succeeding now with eating lower points/calories. Have finally lost a few pounds this week. More importantly, my eating style helps me feel really good.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #6  

Do you think if you followed the plan as written it would work? You are not getting in the 9 GHGs, eating too much protein and not enough healthy grains for starters. Do you get in your fruit, fat and dairy servings? You just aren't doing WW correctly so can't expect results. And if you don't weigh your portions, there is no way you can be accurate in points or calories.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

I actually do weigh and measure things like proteins and fats. I don't measure the vegetables. I don't do dairy or grains because of food sensitivities. I only have a single apple a day due to type 2 diabetes and carb sensitivity. I eat like this because I feel really good eating like this.

Really, the only thing that has worked is cutting the calories/points. Today was my weigh in day and I finally dropped nearly 2 lbs. The only thing I changed was the points.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Personally I think it's a matter of tweaking things to fit you. I find that I can't eat all my weekly points + activity points and lose weight. I will maintain or have a slight increase but definately not lose.

I'm not sure how effiecient it is to do WW with a paleo diet. You won't be getting the dairy, beans or whole grains. I would find it difficult to do. But hey, you've find a way to make it work. Good for you.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:43 PM   #9  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoblewis View Post

I'm not going to worry about this tracking thing. I wanted to know if other experienced the same thing as I did. I am succeeding now with eating lower points/calories. Have finally lost a few pounds this week. More importantly, my eating style helps me feel really good.
I'm not trying to be a pest. It is just that I know that if you eat 28 points that can't equate to over 1700 calories even with 8 veggie servings and 1 fruit serving. Non-starchy veggies just don't that many calories. I mention this only because it makes me think there is something wrong in what you are recording either for points or calories.

The thing is to find the calorie level that you will lose on. If that is 1700 calories a day (you are much taller than I am so I understand that can work for someone is a lot taller) then I would focus on that.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

I think you should do what works for you. I did the ww points five years ago and lost 11kg. Since then I use the points when I want to keep on track or lose weight. I found the ww system worked for me, as I didn't want to give up or restrict myself. If you're not already keeping a daily food diary then it's really beneficial. I'd be inclined to reduce your points or calories and see how you go. If a combination of points and calorie counting works for you, then use it. Losing weight is hard work. The main thing is you're doing something to achieve a loss. I found cutting out all butter, marg and cooking oil really made a difference. Using a dry pan, baking, or using a spray instead. Good luck and let us know if things improve.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/150/130

I agree with the posters who are saying that there's a mistake somewhere in the counting..

I count calories but a friend does WW and we compared our daily food intake for fun one day. She's currently eating 26 points per day and when she tallies up each food items calorie count she's ingesting roughly 1300 calories.
JennaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #12  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I have been eating low carb for a long time, and after an initial weight loss, just couldn't budge more, or maintain to the level I had lost initially. I am also keeping carbs low (60-80/day) as I am prediabetic. So far my sugars are doing fine, which is interesting, because some of these foods have spiked my sugars before. I had to reduce fat pretty dramatically though, as atkins replaces carbs with fats (basically, I won't get into nuances, so no flames please about not understanding atkins), and that has been a challenge.
I would discuss making changes with your leader and plan accordingly.
good luck
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #13  

The problem is you aren't following the plan. Maybe you should try it as written. Do you weigh and measure your food or just eyeball portions? You should always use nuts on the package if you can.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #14  
Less of a Better Me

Susan

I don't know who you are responding to but it is certainly possible to follow the WW plan and eat low carb. I did it for 6 months....
Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #15  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I'm a WWPP dropout, but a weight loss success. Do what works FOR YOU.

I wish you good luck in your efforts.

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 02-12-2012 at 10:41 PM.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote