Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 01:47 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Smile Steel Magnolias #339

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

This may be the last of the double digets we get for awhile for they say it is going to get really in a few days. I finished another glass house. So now I have a one storey little one, a larger two storey I call my Red Roofed Inn and a cabin with an outhouse that I hinged the door to open. Now I am just about out of solder but have an order in and it should be here soon. I order my supplies out of Florida. I can get my glass from there and it is 12 inch square pieces of various colors in each box. Each box has several pieces of glass that are of shades that go well together. For instance some are called Winter, others Autumn colors etc. The Ice pack is different sorts of clear glass. It is much more economical to buy it pre boxed than individual sheets. If there is a special piece of glass that I need I can always get it seperate. I have been asked to make house numbers for a friend. I will make a box that will be hinged so the electrical stuff can be inside with the light and it will make it easy to change the bulb. They want it on a new fence they are going to be building. Will is out working on the pergola ... I can hear the saw. It is going to be so lovely come next spring when those flowers cover the top and droop down.

FAYE I am so happy that thing turned out much nicer for you than you expected. Maybe things will continue to get better, we can always hope. {{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}

JEAN You are making Christmas stockings and I am making a glass village. Maybe we will both get them done come the holidays. I think this year I will put together some of those cookies and soups in jars as gifts for folks. I can dry the veggies for the soup in my little covection oven for I have drying racks and it has a drying setting which it makes it so easy to dry small amounts of whatever. I have a yummy way of oven drying tomatoes which are much better than the store bought dried tomates.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:59 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Arrow Explaination

OK I see you scratching your heads and thinking "what in the world is a PERGOLA

A pergola is an arbor or tunnel-like passagway made of vertical pillars and horizontal beams to create a flat-topped roof of trelliswork on which clombing plants are trained to grow.

We are planting wisteria at each corner ~ white at opposite posts and the lavender (called "blue") at the other corners. It is large enough for us to place a picnic table and chairs inside. It is 8 foot wide and 10 foot long and 10 foot high.

Now that should satisify those of you who didn't know what I was talking about being built. BTW it is now built with the plants in ~ now they just have to grow ~ which they will ~ and cover the top.

Last edited by Maggie; 07-08-2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:12 PM   #3  
Web Nana

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS
Looks like you all were busy over the holiday. Tried to read all the posts but now can't remember much!

We got home yesterday about noontime and I have got everything put away...washed, dried and ironed. The only way that happened is we have the AC on and the house is comfy.

The Cape was gorgeous!!! We had one day with fog in the morning but it burned off by noon and then it was sunny but breezy. The rest of the time it was simply that old fashioned Cape weather I remember from long ago...
The evening of the Fourth was clear and the fireworks were spectacular...it was cool enough for sweatshirts. Yesterday we had coffee on the front porch, which is directly across the street from the beach and it was clear, warm and quiet and I have filed this memory for retrieval at a later date.

It has been hot and humid here at home but my lovely neighbor invited me over to the pool after her kids went in so I could have a quiet swim. Great!!!!

Got our plane tickets for the trip to Minneapolis but still working on the hotel....should be making a decision later this week or early next week. We also, finally, received the invitation and it sounds like quite a time. Dress is "Resort Casual" so I think my long teal linen dress with the slits up the 'here' will do just fine.
Now all we have to do is keep our fingers crossed about the weather. I'll bet he has that contingency covered with a tent....maybe.

Gloria in MA.....staying cool in the AC
Old 07-08-2003, 09:43 PM   #4  

Just peeking in while I wait for a load of clothes to finish drying.

Maggie -- Thanks for the pergola definition . . . I was about to get out the dictionary! It sounds like it will be very attractive when it is all done. I've noticed that there are cookbooks out with the "mix in a jar" recipes. One of the church groups sold them and they were a big hit. I bought chocolate chip cookies and gave the jar back to the teacher whose son I bought it from. Maybe they will do it again.

Gloria -- I'm glad to hear you had a nice weekend! Try the internet and look for motels/hotels in Mpls. I know there are some near the Mall which is also fairly close to the airport. With the map quest, you could figure out where you want to be in relation to the airport, mall, and where the party will be held. We stayed in a really nice (as in pricey nice) hotel right downtown after attending a wedding in the same hotel. That was several years ago and the best part was the valet parking so we didn't have to worry about the car. I can't remember the name but I know there are several down there.

I hear the dryer buzzing so better get moving! Have a wonderful Wednesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 07-09-2003, 06:22 AM   #5  

Good mornng ladies!

Gloria: Glad to see you made it back ok and had a fabo time. Sounds delic.

Maggie: Lord, honey, don't ever think I understand a think about plants or flowers. I love them, but can't grow them. Anyone brings me a plant and the poor things give up the ghost just knowing who is going to be taking care of them. Your arrangement sounds beautiful.

Jean: Why is it we have so many clothes when there are only 2 people in the house? I have never seen so much laundry as the two of us seem to make. I do laundry everyday and yesterday I put 6 towels away for one day!

Bubs: Miss you!

The cat drove me out of bed this morning along with an achy hip (I got saucy and yesterday afternoon was showing off to dh about how high I could kick out doing exercises and think I probably overdid it!) so I decided to get up and post. Nothing new and exciting here.

Hope you all have a great day!

Faye
Old 07-09-2003, 10:19 AM   #6  

Good Morning, Flowers!
We had another night of thunderstorms and the rain guage says we got 3". I can't read it very well through the window so need to get dressed and go out to check for sure. I went down to check the basement and have multiple rivers running to the drain. I hope the sump pumps can keep up! We just put a new main pump in this spring so hopefully won't have any problems unless the electricity goes off. Then we are in major, major trouble! That has happened once in the 19 years we have lived here; DH and #1 son used 5 gallon buckets, hauled it out the front door, and threw it down the driveway. It was not fun! The weatherman says it is supposed to be DRY and HOT for the next few days. I hope he knows what he is talking about!

I am having a manicure done this afternoon. After several years of acrylics, my nails are awful. I'm hoping they will start to grow on their own! Then I need to return a bedspread to Penneys -- they charge return shipping now and our store just resells the item right in the store. Makes me ! This one was in a sale catalog and I found one I liked better in the new fall catalog. I'm hoping to have enough time to shop for a wedding gift . . . we have a Hallmark gift shop where the brides can register and I can get a gift certificate if nothing else.

"Gma" -- Our cats are all sleeping right now. I think they prowled all night long with the storms rolling through. I accuse DH of hoarding dirty clothes in the closet and then dumping them in the hamper all at one time. There is no way he could have that many clothes unless he changed 3 times a day! He always does change when he gets home from work and some of the things he will put on look like he wadded them in a little ball and aimed for the corner of the closet! I just tell him he can't go out in public wearing whatever!

Hope you all have a super day! Hard to believe another week is half over.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 07-09-2003, 03:02 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Red face Humpday Morning - Just Barely

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I am so glad that Cowboy gets up earlier than me and so Turn gets entertained by him. He gets his little can of wet food in the morning and then tries to nap in Cowboy's lap while he is studying or on his desk right smack dab in the way. He is such a fun pest. BTW I get a charge about your talk about laundry and the dryer calling your name and the stacks of dirty clothing. Guess what ~ Cowboy does the laundry and doesn't like starch in his shirts and they come out of the dryer the moment they are dry and go on a hanger ~ so none of our shirts or blouses need any ironing and they look great. I fold and put the clean stuff up. Works for us. Life is good. And... Turn loves to help me fold sheets and towels. He is such a good helper.

Well Cowboy just stuck his head through my chain rope curtain that I have haning in my office/crafts room door and said, "Lets go up Triangle Road." So folks bye for now. Too hip, gotta go.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:45 PM   #8  

Good Evening all,
Can't believe tomorrow's Thursday! Where does the time go? I weighed in last night fully expecting to have gained 5-10 lbs........I gained .8 instead! You could have blown me over. God is good.
Miss Annie the pup is keeping us all busy! Poor St. Jimmy is so good with her..........but he sleeps real well at night! Mike gets up with her at 6 and they go on a long walk...........1.5 miles around the neighborhood. They get home shortly after 7 and she wants to come get Jimmy out of his bed........which is right beside mine, so we don't get to sleep in the morning.

Gloria, your trip to the Cape sounds great. Our weather on the boat was great........most of us wore jeans most of the time, although there were a couple of shorts days. I do love that salt water! Especially with the mountains in the background. I really could live up there with no problem, I think. Have I told you all that our cruise was stupendous?! I'm ready to go back! In the meantime, I'd best get to bed so I'm ready to greet one rapidly growing yellow dog in the AM. I'm hoping the weather's decent so we can go to aquarobics at 9:30. We've had fierce thunderstorms twice this week. Just about everyone I know has lost their garden due to the wet weather.

Later,
Bubs

PS Faye, you're wasting away to nothing........keep up the great work!
Old 07-10-2003, 06:10 AM   #9  

Good Morning ladies!

Hope everyone is drying out. All we have been getting is cloudy skies in the evenings no rain so far though it is predicted everyday. I know the north is kind of taking a beating.

Bubs: Believe me, I haven't wasted too much! A lot of the changes are with the water aerobics everyday. I stood naked in front of the mirror last night and I have changed pretty dramatically, but my behind is definitely not cooperating at ALL!

Jean: Doesn't that irritate the heck out of you to not just be able to take something back? My dh had to take something back to the electronic store and they charge 15% restocking fee. Like those kids that work there do anything anyway. All I ever see is them wandering around! Everywhere you go anymore, people have their hand in your pocket!

Maggie: Butterscotch and Fortune love to "help" with the laundry too. They either stand behind me waiting for a pair of undies or a sock to fall out of the dryer so they can snatch it and carry it away or B climbs into the dryer on top of the clothes, which makes it REAL easy to try and get them out! B then hops up on top of the dryer and climbs all over the folded clothes messing them up and by the time I get them into the basket to take upstairs, he has made himself a bed on top of the stack in the basket! Luckily, I am never in a hurry to get done.

Today is clean the downstairs day and start cleaning out kitchen cabinets. I bought some nice brass clips for the shelves, but did run into one snag. The ones that were missing, looks like they broke off in the hole so we are having to move all the shelving up one, which complicates things a bit, but we will adapt.

Dh should be up in a sec so I am going to go.

Have a nice morning girls

Faye
Old 07-10-2003, 10:14 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers!
I will say "hello" to you while I wait for my hair to dry. I wanted to run several errands yesterday afternoon and on my second stop I ran into a retired teacher. She wanted to go have coffee and 2 hours later it was time to head home; I am going a little later this morning and finish up.

I still have several rivers running in the basement. We didn't get any rain yesterday but it is clouding over now.

Maggie -- What kind of dress shirts do you buy? I've tried Penneys and Sears store brands, Van Heusen, RBS, Pierre Cardin, and several odd brands that I've never heard of. They all need a touch of iron especially around the shoulder/arm seams and down the front. Figure as long as I'm doing that much I may as well do the rest of the shirt. Many years ago (before a/c) my aunt used to just iron the collar, cuffs, and front of my uncle's shirts . . . poor guy could never take his jacket off! Maggie, the cat, likes to help make the bed when we change the sheets -- she'll be off sleeping somewhere and all of a sudden she's right in the middle chasing wrinkles around.

Bubbles -- I can just picture Jimmy crawling into bed, at night, after spending the day with Annie! We've had more fun watching the two kittens on the deck . . . it's almost like they have their own large playpen. I'm in hopes I will be able to catch them soon and I need to transplant their mother along with them.

"Gma" -- I've never heard of a store that charges a restocking fee. Is that quite common where you live? Is it just in small stores, large chain stores That is nuts! I don't like to shop anyway and that will deter me even more if it starts around here.

I need to get moving so will need to get dressed and comb my hair before I leave the house. Have a great day, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 07-10-2003 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:36 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Smile Weigh Day Report

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Well folks I am very happy to report that the Iron Monster reported me down 2.2 pounds and I am thankful to Thin within for keeping me on track and FOCUSED. UGH I had a horrible choice for lunch. I have been wanting some Long John Silvers fish and shrimp and believe me it wasn't worth it. I don't think I'll be eating there in a long while if ever again. I'll count the points and it won't ruin my day but I have learned something this day.

BUBBLES CONGRATULATIONS on that .8 you are up and I don't mean that sarcastically for I know what a relief it is that it wasn't much more. Pay close attention to your program amd some will come off next week and take that little gain with it. Yikes ~ I am rethinking getting a puppy if it means that I have to get up early ~ I don't know about that.

FAYE we sure need rain here also. There is a fire aboaut 29 miles up the road from here near Yosemite. Hope it didn't burn that great pizza place in El Portal.

JEAN isn't it fun to run into old friends and aquaintances. Reminds me "old friends, sat on the parkbench like bookends, newspapers blow through the grass land on the round toes of the high shoes of the old friends........ old friends, wouldn't it be strange to be 70 ~ old friends. Can you imagine us years from today?" Remember that song?
Old 07-10-2003, 05:51 PM   #12  

I sure do remember that song . . . but who sang it?

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS on 2.2 # loss! You are doing super at getting your focus back again!

DH just pulled in the driveway so we are off to Beth's to deliver card tables and garage sale "junk!"

See you later!
Old 07-10-2003, 05:53 PM   #13  

Sounds like everyone is busy busy as usual!

Jean: Almost all the electronic stores charge restocking fees and a just about any place else where you would be likely to open something up where it would have to be taped closed if brought back (like linens etc). Everyone has to have their cut!

Maggie: I remember those Santa Anas when we lived in San Diego. We lived right behind a mountain of brush and I used to panic every time I would hear a fire truck!

I kicked behind today. I finished putting in the brass pegs in the cabinets, cleaned all my cabinets out and rearranged them, cleaned up my cook book mess, cleaned and trashed old craft stuff, cleaned out the linen closet and the drawers in our bedroom, cleaned downstairs, made supper and cleaned it up. I am now POOPED! I am going to wait until Sat for Jack's help for a couple projects where I need longer arms than I have!

You ladies have a great night! (oh, PS: looks like I may be sitting for dgs in August. DD called today and asked as she just got a new job, his other grandma starts back to school in August as a teacher's aide, and his school doesn't start until Sept. I told her I would love to as long as I haven't found a job. She kind of hemmed and hawwed about it, but too bad. I have to give myself a little edge where I can! Maybe the job fairies will take a hint now and get off their behinds!)

Faye
Old 07-10-2003, 06:45 PM   #14  
Thin Within

I got to thinking about shirts when I was hanging them in the closet and realized I didn't answer your question JEAN. I asked Will about them and he said he much prefers Van Heusons shirts ~ what he does is takes them out of the dryer after 15 minutes whil still damp and hangs them up. They turn out perfect this way and he is able to always take his jacket off. That song was sung by Simon and Garfunkle way back........
Old 07-11-2003, 09:36 AM   #15  

Happy Friday!
The sun is out and it is a cool 66 degrees with NO rain in sight! We are heading up to the lake to visit with MIL this afternoon. DH leaves Sunday for 3 days of meetings in Des Moines and would like Sat. to get the lawn mowed, etc., around here.

"Gma" -- You could come and work on my cupboards and closets for me! If I could just have a few day where I didn't get interrupted, maybe I could see some progress. I will get this done . . . eventually!

Maggie -- I think I will take advantage of this cool morning and catch up on some ironing.

Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Closed Thread