General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #1  
Being Me-Inside and Out

S/C/G: 259/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

Question Bride's Maid Dress Help!!!

My best friend is getting married in May. We've known about it for almost a month, which took us all by surprise considering she's only been dating him for about 2 months. Anyway, her sister picked the dress which isn't so bad, but here is the kicker: she called today to say that she wants all the dresses ordered ASAP bc David's bridal said they wont be in until Feb, longer if there are any problems.

My issue is this: I have lost nearly 30lbs since June and plan on continuing to lose weight. I don't want to order a dress my size and have to spend a fortune to have it severly refitted. On the other hand, I don't want to go too small and be SOL. What do I do????
sheramama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Buy the dress the size you are. Whatever you spend in alterations will be well worth the stress relief associated with not obligating yourself to lose weight. Things happen. Goals change. Injuries, crazy circumstances, etc can get in the way.

Plus, it's REALLY FUN to watch as a dress gets taken in many sizes. I ordered my wedding dress to fit me (in an 18W) and while I did have to pay to get it reduced to a 10 (yes, a 10), it was fun to watch her slimming it down.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 289/274/147

Height: 5'7"

Agree, agree, agree!!!

And alterations are not expensive.
98DaysOfSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I just went through this - bridesmaid dress shopping is what was the kick in the *** that started my weight loss. I ordered the dress to fit (well not really - they were going to have to alter it to drape over my big belly anyhow ). I gladly paid $65 to have 4 inches cut out of that dress!

Don't stress yourself out by ordering a smaller dress! It's much happier to have it MADE smaller.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/130

Height: 5 foot

I'm opposite everyone else lol Having just gotten married 6 months ago, I do know that alterations ARE expensive!!!! It cost over $200 (I THINK close to $300) to have mine altered (nearly half the price of the dress itself) and all that was for was to shorten it (I'm only 5 foot so we had to shorten it nearly a foot) and do some alterations to the halter top/chest area. And everyone that I saw in the dressing rooms getting bridesmaid dresses altered (at Davids) were at least $100. I'd order it at least 1 size smaller......I was loosing weight for my brother's wedding years ago...I ordered my dress a size smaller and it turned out great.
KatRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:08 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I'd order the size that fits, now and have it altered. Buying a size smaller may back fire on you, you may have to have it let out. Don't see how you can avoid alterations.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I think the price of alterations will vary depending on the style of the dress and type of fabric. Some are just much more difficult to alter than others.

That said, most bridesmaid dresses are easier to alter than a wedding dress and to me would be worth not stressing or feeling obligated to lose weight. I would just talk to the sales people and tell them the situation and they'll probably recommend the same. They've heard and been through all types of situations and probably won't bat an eye at it.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

I'd tell the bride to take a chill pill. Go into your local david's bridal and ask them at what point you need to order. I was just in a wedding on October 8th and they told us to order it by August 8th (though one girl ordered end of August and all was fine). There is NO reason you need the dress in February for a May wedding.

Last edited by ade903; 10-27-2011 at 11:06 AM.
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 200 / 180? / 140

Height: 5'4"

I'm with those who say watching them alter a dress down is such a fun, good, motivating feeling. I bought my dress at the size I was (granted, I didn't have a choice -- it was one of five left in the country in that style and it just happened to fit me at my heavy weight) and several months later had it taken in. I practically skipped for joy. I think I would have felt terrible if I'd had to alter the dress to let it out. I didn't worry about the cost (the dress being in a discontinued line it was already heavily discounted and the alterations never brought it up to normal price range), but that was a luxury I had. If cost is a concern, I doubly recommend ordering it the size you are now. 1) No pressure on the weight loss and 2) It's a lot easier to make a slightly large dress sit well with at-home/last minute alterations than it is a dress you can't even get to zip up in the back.

I also agree with ade903 that you shouldn't need to order so far in advance unless it's a really funky style or going-out-of-style dress.
Ferumbras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #10  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I agree with everyone saying get the size you are. Alterations (done at David's Bridal) can be a bit pricy, but it's worth it no to feel pressure to lose.

I'm the MOH for my sister's wedding and I understand why they want you to order the dress now. If they won't be in until February if you order now, that allows time for any issues (say the dresses don't ship on time, you have 2 or more months for them to be there after the original time they were supposed to be). It also allows time for everyone to get their dress altered, which depending on how busy your David's Bridal is, can take upwards of a month to 6 weeks for them to get to your dress. So yes, you do need to have that dress in February. It will also ease your bride's mind knowing everyone has already ordered their dress and no one is waiting until the last minute (which could cause a Bridezilla-esque melt down, I speak from experience).
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:18 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Weird things can happen at Bridal Shops. I went to the daughter of a friend's wedding, she had a very beautiful dress....come to find out it wan't the dress she bought, paid for and had fitted. When she went to pick up her dress it could not be located . Did they sell it to someone else, did they mistakenly give her dress to someone else ? Who knows, the shop had to give her another gown and while it was a beautiful gown it was not her first choice.

Last edited by bargoo; 10-27-2011 at 12:19 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I used to work at David's. The sales people are pushed to get the bridal party order ASAP. So it may not be quite so urgent. That said, it can take 12 weeks for the dresses to come in. Possibly longer, if there is a problem. Do you really want to stress the bride out by waiting to order?

I'd buy what fits and have it altered. It sucks to pay for alterations, but it's part of being in a wedding. Also, a local shop may be cheaper for alterations than David's Bridal.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #13  
Being Me-Inside and Out

Thanks so much guys! I will wait another 2-3 weeks to go to the shop and it looks like will be ordering my size (or if I am a centimenter from the next under, then that one). I'm going to call some local taylors to see how much they charge and go with them if they are cheaper. My friend is okay with that Whew. This is why I always avoided being a Bride's Maid...too much pressure. Now, since both my kids are in the wedding, it'll be time to get their outfits...
Old 10-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #14  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Oh yeah, you can get your dress tailored anywhere that sells bridesmaid dresses. You are under NO obligation to have David's alter the dress. My dress came from a private shop, and I had them do the alterations because it was convenient. Plus they've been in business as long as I can remember, so they must be doing OK. You may even be able to get quotes over the phone for the alterations, too.

Good luck!
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #15  
Being Me-Inside and Out

Riddy: That's good to know. I feel like they rip you off enough as it is. I already talked the bride into getting the kids holiday attire instead of traditional wedding bc its half the price and better made.

Thanks to everyone who replied...I have a little piece of mind now!