Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #1  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Sarge's No Excuses and No Whining Bootcamp #18 - Under New Management

This platoon is a group who gives 110% every day to achieving their weight loss goal. This platoon was formed by Sarge JayTee in March 2011. The motivation, challenges and support of the platoon have pushed many members to achieve their goal weights and start living and loving life.

--Please join if you're serious about dropping pounds and melting your "BUTT-er" (that's a salute to Private MadamGooey).

--Please join if you want daily motivation to achieve your goal. The platoon and Sarge are always watching!

--Please join if you want the platoon to scream in your face like Jillian Michaels on Biggest Loser because that's what you're gonna get if you don't meet your goal each week!

--Please join if you understand the definition of challenge, "...a call to engage in a contest, fight, or competition," THIS IS YOUR LIFE YOU'RE FIGHTING FOR!

--Please join if you’re interested in being surrounded by success stories who will inspire you to find your own “inner Sarge” to kick your BUTT-er!

--DON'T join if you're gonna bring excuses!

--DON'T join if you're a daily scale watcher or only looking for company to share details about your daily life, pets, cra*py job, and other pity-party themes.

--DON'T join if your head isn't in it yet. We'll be here to embrace you with well-toned arms when you're ready.

--DON'T join if you're overly sensitive to comments like "step away from the buffet!"

--DON'T join if you want to discuss anything other than getting this freaking weight off! Sarge is type A personality. Excuses and reading touchy-feely stuff makes Sarge's eyes bleed! There are many other threads on 3FC that offer loads of "soft" support and make you feel it's ok to slack on your weight loss efforts. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THOSE THREADS!

RULES:
IT'S EASY! Simply make Sarge a promise each Sunday by posting a pledge to lose a certain number of pounds the following week then DO IT! New Privates encouraged to join any Sunday!

Newbie posts should look like this: Hi Sarge, I'm new! I promise to lose ___ pounds next week!

ALL ARE WELCOME (including men)...any age, any amount of weight to lose. Say "Yes, Count Me In Sarge!" Do it, you know you want to, then drop and give me 20 minutes of exercise!

NEW SPREADSHEET LINK - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DczajVTNkhMd3c

SPREADSHEET SUBMISSION FORM - Use this link to simply submit your weekly stats. Great for newbies to contribute to the pledge board while waiting to be added to the main sheet! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...ajVTNkhMd3c6MQ

**Experienced Platoon Members! Make sure you're using the new spreadsheet please!

Play Fitocracy against others in the platoon at: http://www.fitocracy.com/group/674/

PLATOON NUTRITION:

PEANUTT'S FREQUENTLY REQUESTED FOOD IN YOUR FURNACE ANALOGY: http://pamisaloser.wordpress.com/201...to-weigh-less/

RIESTRELLA’S GUIDE TO WORKOUT NUTRITION: http://fitbodyhype.com/nutrition/ult...n-infographic/

MadamB's NUTRITION DATA LINK: http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Disclaimer: We are not doctors, nutritionists, or personal trainers with any sort of real medical knowledge.

Last edited by peanutt; 10-29-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #2  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Pledge board for the week of October 23-29:
budget - 1
ennay - 0.4
envelope - 0.4
fitgirly - 1
iron - 1
jeanettey - 1
josey - 1
joyful - 1
K3 - 1
katelee - 1
kayla - 3
kitkat-earl - 1
munchey - 1
pacsun - 2
peanutt - 0.4
rainbow - 2
rated - 1
riestrella - 1
ruby - 1
sarati - 0.5
sindaena - 1
solarplant - 1
sumner - 1
tate - 1

TOTAL PLEDGED LOSSES = 24.7 lbs

Maintainers/Coffee Break:
Sarge
Ksquared
GooeyGhost?
pokey
thinsole
chickadee

You've set your goal, NOW MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

Last edited by peanutt; 10-28-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #3  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Great new thread title Peanutt!! ;-)

re Biggest Loser % on wikipedia... HOLY!!! I had no idea! Amazing how they keep stats. Thanks for the tip (would have never checked the might W!)

Last edited by josey; 10-26-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

OH.....yeah Pokey, wikipedia

I say regardless of how many there are this week if anyone falls below the lowest BL % they are out. You cant be saved!

This is a nutritionally disastrous week for the country....the introduction of both the Bacon Cheddar bowl and the return of the McRib in one commercial segment of the show I was watching while canning made me shudder.

Last edited by ennay; 10-26-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #5  
SARGE

S/C/G: 224.5/ticker/165

Height: 5'11"

Just popping on to say "NEW MANAGEMENT" is AWESOME and so is every platoon member who keeps moving forward day after day toward their weight loss goals!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 8"

12 Burpees done!

I am also on target for my my on plan days 'till Thanksgiving.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #7  
One man would not fall...

S/C/G: 400/223/190

Height: 5' 10"

If i could be allowed to stay on the spreadsheet i would like that, i know i haven't been much for support lately but i look to change that as the weather cools and i need more accountability to stay on plan.

Not to mention i bought a new scale to retire my tired old one and somehow gained 5 pounds in the transition...bleh, time to get back up on this horse, i'm 194 as of todays weight, so i think it might be a good idea to up my game.

Also i would like to offer my heartfelt admiraton to you MadamB, i see you have hit your goal, not that i ever had any doubts, you are one tough cookie, i'm truly happy for you, you worked your butter off.

I have to say i really love this iPhone, all the apps

Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

DS had a soccer party tonight and since our team sold the most sodium sticks (pepperoni) we got free pizza. I ate the watery lettuce salad bar and cottage cheese. Yay me! I dont normally eat much dairy but it was pretty much my only protein option tonight.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:48 AM   #9  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

running outside is SO much harder then running on a treadmill! I can do 3 miles in 45 minutes with moderate difficulty. However, jogging 2 miles on the dirt road with my friend is brutal. I got the first leg done with 2 - 1-2 minute walking moments. The last leg failed hard core, I made it about 1/4 of the way back before I had to walk, I simply couldn't breathe. My Chest was killing me. I can only imagine is was the cold air that I am not used to.. I don't know. all I know is it died.

However, before Sarges eyes bleed, the silver lining is this is the third time I have run with my friend and each time I improve. The first time I could barely jog.. the second time I jogged but had to stop and walk several times. Today, the third time I only stopped once. So I can't wait until the 5th time when I can make it both ways without stopping.

On plan today..BTW.. does having an ice cold bottle of water poured on you while you are cooking count as drinking one? No? I didn't think so either, it was worth a try.

Either way, I gave everything the ol college try today. Go me.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

K2 - most people do find outside harder at first but you will adjust. My guess is you were going faster than you think and that you are used to and burning out.

Next time you go outside, go by yourself (so you have 100% control of the pace) and slow down until you feel like you are breathing the same way you breath while running on the treadmill even if you feel that you are just barely slogging. Just get used to using your own body as feedback. Your gait outside will be slightly different than your gait inside because of the belt movement so you have to adjust to that. In the meantime, if you would like outdoor running to someday be a regular part of your life, try doing your treadmill runs at a 1-2% incline instead of flat. This more closely approximates the angles of the legs and the stride length you experience on a non moving surface.

MTA: and what the heck - I survive pizza assault only to have dh bring home 5guys. Which is why I am up here hiding from the aroma with my mug of protein powder.

Last edited by ennay; 10-27-2011 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #11  
Maintaining Mommy

S/C/G: 280/128/<135

Height: 5' 4.5"

Day 3/30 cheat free, and Jeanettey challenge complete! The Jeanettey challenge was the only deliberate exercise I accomplished today, but according to the BodyBugg I still burned close to 2500 calories today with the addition of walking to and from dinner and attending a political rally tonight with my husband. The Bugg seems pretty useful (thank you again for the advice and info, pokey!), as it's really helpful to see what I'm burning on a daily basis and be able to adjust my calorie intake accordingly. I've averaged a 1500 calorie deficit/day over the last three days, so I'm pretty happy with how things are going. That's as far as I want to push my average deficit though; more than that and I think I'd be risking undereating for my activity level at my current weight.

K2: Keep going!! You're exactly right about the improvements you'll see in time, and you're doing it the right way. Starting slow and improving incrementally is exactly what you should be going for, in my opinion. I am proud of you for continuing to push!

Edit: And though I've only recently gotten some experience with running, I second what ennay said about you probably going faster outside than you do on the treadmill. I can run 4 miles continuously on the treadmill and still have energy left over, but my 5K on Saturday seriously kicked my @ss - largely because according to my time I ran it at 5.1 mph, and when I do the longer (3-4 mile) runs on the treadmill I'm jogging at 4.5 mph. And then there were the hills. The entire freaking route was hills. So yes - between a faster pace and the variations in the terrain and incline, the outdoor runs will be tougher! If your watch has a stopwatch function, you could try using that on your outdoor runs to keep your pace similar to your treadmill runs.

Reso: I hope you'll stick around no matter what; we're here to support you too, not just accept the support and encouragement you give! And I wouldn't worry a bit about the 5 lb difference on the new scale; any two scales will give a difference reading, and the difference (or lack of, if you're maintaining) from week to week is ultimately what we're working for, not a specific number.

peanutt: THANKS on the note about wikipedia. I'm always wondering that too after BL.

Last edited by chickadee32; 10-27-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #12  
Kandie Apple Sundae

Ennay,

That was my thought too. That I was jogging much faster then I am used to on the treadmill. I did slow down to the point where I could breathe a little easier and felt like I could keep the pace. Which is how I made it through the first leg, by the time we got to the turn around point I was done.

That being said, my friend is six foot four and I am five foot two.. I take like 4 steps to his long lengthy stride, I am always lagging behind him when we are just walking as well.

Of course I felt miserable, because not only did I ruin my own work out, I ruined his too. which he says I did not, because we were at least outside walking and not sitting on the couch vegging in front of the tv. So he got me there.

I will take your advice though and add a bit of an incline to my jogs to help me out.

Now any advice on the incredible dry mouth I get when I run?
Old 10-27-2011, 01:40 AM   #13  
Kandie Apple Sundae

Chick,

Thank you. And since I couldn't run that last leg, I clenched my cheeks together while I was walking and tried to make that at least as challenging as I could. In the end I spent some quality time with a friend, got to talk out some stress and frustration to a guy who does actually understand me and know that i don't want the problem solved, I want it heard. I got some activity in, heart rate up and produced a sweat, so the work out was successful for the most part.

I had too much on my mind, I fizzled out and was going to fast, half the problem in anything is knowing.. and now I know and I can take steps to correct what happened and next time we run, I will blow him away.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

K2 it is hard to run with other people that are a radically different pace than you. The first step is to own where you are and not apologize for it, but even after all these years when I am with people who are way faster than me I speed up too much. Which is why at least a couple days a week I avoid it. But also take him at his word that you are not responsible for his workout. He knows the deal. If he wants a harder workout he'll do it on his own. Company is one of the running outdoor rewards and most runners will run slower to have company sometimes. I have a friend who is a 2:30 marathoner and he'll run with anyone.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #15  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

@Reso - you bet. You are one of the VIPs here after all. Nice chart by the way, I think I should look into imapmyrun after all. I got it installed on the iphone but used runkeeper so far. Do you use an app for calorie counting?
I sooo love my iphone. Nothing new here but the new one is even more fun! :-)
/geek
Closed Thread