General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #1  

Height: 5'8

Question Men Are More Catty?

During the past few years I've noticed that a lot of the men I've been around/talked to/worked with, etc are far more catty and opinionated than the women. I'll get a haircut. Guys will (out of nowhere) comment on how they don't like that it's shorter. The women will compliment it. I'll wear a certain jacket. A guy will say it's not a good color on me. I'll say no to certain foods, saying I'm on a diet. The men will go on a long rant about what I should be eating. I usually say something along the lines of, "Thanks, but I know what works for me and I'd rather not hear your opinion on the topic." But, they'll just pause for a second with a blank look and keep talking about it.

I always get completely unsolicited comments and each time I'm always as surprised by the rudeness. Has anyone else experienced this? And what's up with it?!
Kaliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/150

Height: 5'10

I know what you mean! I haven't ran into it quite that much, but I really do agree that men seem to be more opinionated on how best to diet. I tell women I'm on a diet and they say "ah, good good" and avoid it. Men say, "What kind of diet? what are you doing for it?" Maybe women just understand the diet struggles better and understand our self consciousness and wouldn't want to be rude, whereas men are just clueless.
sweetsmmr91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I haven't. I've found men are even afraid to bring it up- one guy told my husband he could see I lost weight but was afraid to say something to me because he didn't want to offend me.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It may be regional, because where I live, women definitely have the monopoly on that kind of behavior. I'd guess something like 95 - 98% of the time, in my experience, such comments are coming from women.

However, it does seem to be on the rise (Even a few years ago, I would have estimated the female cattiness proportion much higher - at 99 to 100% female).

Personally, I suspect it's the "meterosexual" trend (which hasn't been quite as obvious in the midwest, at least not in the middle-sized and smaller cities), but cattiness isn't just for women and gay men, any more.

Of course, I don't think reality and shock tv helps the trend. There aren't many "off-limits" personal subjects anymore. Seeing all the "dirty laundry" on tv and youtube, has blurred the lines of personal privacy and propriety. Formerly taboo subjects are now acceptable dinner conversation. We're becoming a "think it - say it, consequences be damned" society.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #5  
Kandie Apple Sundae

S/C/G: 225/180/150

Height: 5 foot 2

I have found that most men simply don't have a filter between their head and their mouths.

A good friend of mine is a typical guy.. and he doesn't have one of those filters either. He just says what is on his mind. Yes, he can be a total a$$ but I call him on it as well and have no fear of telling him he is being as ***.

So next time a Guy says something that has by passed the filter, call them on it.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #6  

I am surprised guys even notice things like hair and clothes, but I agree with Kaplods, there is a new dimension to the modern man. Perhaps they will evolve further and develop awareness and sensitivity to accompany their new found powers of observation =)

Than again it depends on the man. I lived in Limerick, Eire, twenty two years ago and was walking up the street behind a generosity proportioned lass when two Irish guys overtook me. As they passed the girl, one said to the other "fat arse!". I do not know if she heard but she did not react. A short while after three French tourists passed me and, as they passed her, one said "Such beautiful hair!" (indeed she had). She glanced at them when they passed, and smiled.

This stuck in my head all these years because I hoped, no matter how fat or old and crinkly I get, someone would find something beautiful to say about me. Now I know that the one person who needs to do that is me.
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 212/216/150

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliii View Post
During the past few years I've noticed that a lot of the men I've been around/talked to/worked with, etc are far more catty and opinionated than the women. I'll get a haircut. Guys will (out of nowhere) comment on how they don't like that it's shorter. The women will compliment it. I'll wear a certain jacket. A guy will say it's not a good color on me. I'll say no to certain foods, saying I'm on a diet. The men will go on a long rant about what I should be eating. I usually say something along the lines of, "Thanks, but I know what works for me and I'd rather not hear your opinion on the topic." But, they'll just pause for a second with a blank look and keep talking about it.

I always get completely unsolicited comments and each time I'm always as surprised by the rudeness. Has anyone else experienced this? And what's up with it?!
Men say it to your face and women will say something nice to you, than gossip behind your back about how they really feel.
CrystalZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote