General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:35 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default I have a ? re military cammo

First, if you or someone close to you are serving, please let me express my thanks.

I have noticed cammo uniforms that are a black type background. I thought it was green. Is this because green would stand out in places like Iraq whereas green was necessary for Viet Nam?

Please pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject and TIA.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #2  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

That's what I always thought... The green is more for jungle/forest... whereas tan/black would be better in the dry desert-type terrain in the middle east.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

There are many different types of camouflage patterns and colors depending on your branch and where you're serving and the terrain. I've never seen anyone deployed in any branch in the middle east wearing black fatigues, it's more often the desert style which are shades of tans.

Meanwhile, the Navy went to variants of blues and greys on theirs for obvious reasons.

Probably the most common we've seen is the woodlands/jungle style because we've had many wars in that type of terrain.

Just as there are many different types of fatigues, there are different types of boots. You see they tan boots worn with the desert fatigues in the middle east but saw jungle boots work in Asian countries (especially Vietnam era) to help aerate the foot to avoid your limb literally rotting off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...flage_patterns

I'm definitely no expert so my understanding may be off but this is what I've gathered from being around many different people in all branches of the military.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm not in the service, but they change the camo to work in the different environments. They have a tan camo for desert warfare, and recently added digital camo which they say works better than the old woodland camo. There are also variances between the camo worn in the difference services...for example, you would see a difference in the camo pattern on an Army soldier and a Marine.

Wiki has a good article on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_camouflage
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:13 AM   #5  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

My son wore tan and green while in Iraq, and here as well. He was in the Army
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #6  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I have never seen this camo that has black. My DH is airforce and so was my dad and 2 of my brothers so that is what I am most familiar with. DH's normal camo which is still pretty new is mostly shades of tan with some green in it, the older stuff was mostly shades of green with some tan and brown. They also changed boots and t-shirts. With the older stuff they had black boots and t-shirts, now they have a sageish color. He has desert gear as well which is lighter shades of tan than his normal stuff and has some almost pink in it. I have seen marines visiting our base who have camo that has a green in it that is so dark it almost looks black.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks for all the responses. I guess there are a whole bunch of different color combinations out there.

Again, thank you to those who serve and to the sacrifices your families at home have made as well.

Last edited by cbmare; 10-25-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I'm not in the service, but they change the camo to work in the different environments. They have a tan camo for desert warfare, and recently added digital camo which they say works better than the old woodland camo
What's digital camo? Is that for when they deploy you in the Matrix?
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Must've taken the red pill...

But seriously, digital camo is listed as such:

MARPAT
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Marines wearing both MARPAT versions of the MCCUU

MARPAT (short for MARine PATtern) is a digital camouflage pattern in use with the United States Marine Corps, introduced with the Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform (MCCUU), which replaced the Camouflage Utility Uniform. The pattern is formed by a number of small rectangular pixels of color. In theory, it is a far more effective camouflage than standard uniform patterns because it mimics the dappled textures and rough boundaries found in natural settings. This is caused by how the human eye interacts with pixelated images. It is also known as the "digital pattern" or "digi-cammies" because of its micropattern (pixels) rather than the old macropattern (big blobs)
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #10  

I believe for Marines, they change from greens and tan during different seasons. Now they have new uniform standards of sleeves down. Once a Marine is going to deploy they wear the opposite color everyone is wearing.

For Army they wear a gray digital uniform. They also have new uniforms and when they deploy they receive them. They are kind of woodland looking.

Navy has their new blue cammies. Ive heard if they fall off the ship that the color changes, so they are easier to find. I havent found anyone to jump in the ocean for me to actually prove that. Lol

My information might not be accurate, but thats what branches I know of.
Laydeitrippstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #11  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thank you Lady. I'll have to ask my retired navy friend about the blue cammies.

Sounds like the marines have a subtle way of letting the others know that someone is leaving.

Thanks again.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #12  

My husband is navy and their cammo's are navy blue...but I haven't seen any branch with black cammo. When my husband was deployed to Iraq he always wore tan though. =)
LiLLy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #13  

I made a mistake, just ask my husband about the Marine uniform. He said they only wear the Tan camo when they are going to deploy. He also says it depends on where they are going. So if they are going to Afghan, Iraq, or anywhere with sand they wear Tan. In a jungle mission they wear green.
Laydeitrippstuh is offline   Reply With Quote