Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #1  
Ready to be a hot mommy

S/C/G: 230/139/120

Height: 5 '3

Default Low Fat/Carb/Sodium is it possible?

So I had my gallbladder out August 3rd of 2010 and since then have been eating a low fat diet somewhere between 30 -40 grams of fat a day. I'm also trying to have a low ammount of sodium intake (< 2500 mgs) and keep my carbs around 200.

I'm on P90x and this is the suggest ratios for me to get maxiumim benefits. The only problem is I don't want to eat celery, carrots and raw spinach all day. My husband is tired of "rabbit" food and I want to feel full so I don't have a binge time and ruin my diet. I'm trying to stick to about 1700 calories a day since I am breastfeeding my 1 year old son and I don't beat myself up if I got up to 1900.

So what I need is good meal ideas and quick meal ides for me when I'm home alone with my son. My husband is gone a lot of the day at school and work and I don't have a lot of time to go and make a 30 minute meal when I have a teething 1 year old.

Any websites or personal recipes would be wonderful or if anyone has some great advice.

Thanks in advance!
GeekMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #2  

Hi there. By any chance are you a hummus eater? I will admit, I don't have to cut the fat as much so I also get a lot of satiety from nuts, etc. but hummus tends to have the creamy sensation without a ton of fat in it. I think it could have a tendency to have a lot of sodium depending either what you buy or how you make it.
HikingChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #3  
Striving to be better

S/C/G: 313/218/160

Quinoa is very high in protein low fat. I make tacos with it using that as my meat. My entire family loves them.
Pag0206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:24 PM   #4  
Ready to be a hot mommy

S/C/G: 230/139/120

Height: 5 '3

I do love hummus! I've been trying to get more creative with it and have found out it makes a great spread on sandwiches!

I've never heard of Quinoa but, I'm going to look into it thank you so much!
GeekMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #5  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

I have been eating low-fat/carb/sodium for months now. The food choices are quite limited but it is certainly possible. The number one things I have had to do are 1) I use FitDay PC software to carefully monitor my nutrients. 2) I supplement heavily with psyllium husks. I hate them but they are necessary to keep the carb levels low and still have normal bowel function. and 3) I use a potassium supplement (several a day) and salt substitute (not for flavor, but because it is made of potassium). I even add it to my drinks, effectively turning them into gator-ade. You have to be really careful with potassium supplementation but you can monitor it using software as long as you log everything.

This is even more challenging for me because I am a vegetarian. For protein I I consume protein powder shakes, MediFast foods, eggs, tofu, and a few select low-carb meat substitute products. I eat lots of veggies, but I limit my selection to the lowest carb ones: mostly spinach, Swiss chard, celery, lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, and kale. Sometimes I have carrots, tomatoes, or cucumbers, but rarely. Occasionally I add shirataki noodles, soy crisps & puffs, and low-carb cereals when I am craving "carbolicious" foods.

I use a lot of PicoPica hot sauce on my foods since it is practically calorie-free adn provides a ton of flavor. I use Walden Farms dressings a lot. Tey are not the greatest tasting dressings on earth, but they are tolerable and add minimal calories. Not sure about their sodium content, though.

I have lost 37 pounds since July 25th using this technique.

PM me for a recipe for protein powder pancakes with 34g protein and only 2g carbs. It is amazing! Fills that need for sweet-carbs, guilt-free. I usually have one for dessert twice a week or so.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:07 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pag0206 View Post
Quinoa is very high in protein low fat. I make tacos with it using that as my meat. My entire family loves them.
Quinoa tacos? I love quinoa. How do you do that?

What do you do for taco shells?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote