South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #1  

Default Help for a college student..

Hi!

I've decided to try SBD again. The first time I tried it, I barely lasted through Phase 1, but in the few days that I did stay on the diet I lost 5 pounds. I've been struggling with losing weight the past year through diet pills on and off and various diets. I've managed to keep off 10 pounds, which is a huge thing for me. Despite that, I have a long way to go. I'm currently 277 with no goal weight in mind. I just know that I have to lose weight. I'm from a family full of heart problems and being this big scares me when I actually allow myself to think about it.

I've just started my first year of nursing school and this little voice in the back of my head is always saying "How can you take care of your patients if you can't take care of yourself?" By the time I graduate in 2014, I'd like to have reached at least 160, a goal I consider incredibly achievable.

My question is: Can you share with me grocery lists of items to get to start Phase 1? Keeping in mind that I really only have two days a week that I can actually do any cooking.. I know breakfast is a very important thing, but I rarely have time. I need ideas for incredibly fast breakfast meals and lunches that can easily be thrown in my lunchbox. The last time I started this diet, I realized that sweet foods are easily replaceable, but I had such a hard time avoiding potato chips. Are there any alternatives that you have found that help satisfy that craving?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
harrypottergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #2  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Hi and (or welcome back!)

Check out the recipe thread for quick and easy breakfast ideas - but also staples like cottage cheese and yogurt work. Many of us think outside the box and eat dinner for breakfast, etc... (beans and cheese for me with salsa). Also hard boiled eggs.

Do a search of the threads too but you can find some ideas for grocery lists here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sout...g-routine.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...uth-beach.html
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sout...b-staples.html

Good luck and check in often!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #3  
Staying focused

S/C/G: 271/246/188

Height: 5'7"

My phase 1 staples:

Plain greek yogurt with splenda, vanilla and cinnamon
Almonds
Egg whites (scrambled for breakfast, veggie omelets for a quick/easy dinner)
Lots of veggies and salad stuff. Clean and prep what you can ahead of time, or buy already prepped

Scroll through the recipes here. A lot of them make good leftovers or are freezable...a lifesaver for when life gets crazy busy.
magrat0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/150

Height: 5' 5"

Welcome Harrypottergal!!! I'm with you, I only have about two days during the week that I can prepare food and meal plan. Luckily, I'm the type of person who can eat the same meal multiple times in a row...especially if it's yummy I have a cooking day once a week or even further apart, when I cook a ton of stuff and then freeze it to use later and I chop up my veggies once a week or every few days, separate into baggies, so I can grab and go. With a little bit of planning and prep work, you can definitely do this!
jyoyo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

, Harrypottergal! My suggestion for grocery staples for Phase 1 would include -

plain, nonfat yogurt (I prefer Greek)
lowfat string cheese
cottage cheese
grape tomatoes
salad makings
a wide variety of non-starchy vegetables
a variety of beans
lean meats and seafood
eggs
skim milk or unsweetened almond, rice or soy milk

For a quick grab & go breakfast, the breakfast quiches in our recipe section are very popular alternative, as are reheating leftovers.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: maintaining

Welcome! Planning is key. I find it helps a lot to make meals that I can eat over several days. I even put some portions in the freezer for "emergencies."

A couple ideas for the chips craving - pepperoni crisps (microwave 17 turkey pepperoni, in a single layer on paper-towel lined sheet, covered with paper towel, maybe 30-40 seconds, flip, microwave again) and cheese crisps ( spread low-fat cheese on parchment, microwave until starting to crisp). I don't remember exact recipes for either. Both crisp a bit more after you take them out. Also, the roasted chickpeas are good - but watch the portions.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #7  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

It looks like you have some great suggestions for grocery lists.

I'm not a breakfast person and I'm always crunched for time in the morning. It's not P1 compatible, but I have a smoothie every morning which has been my lifesaver. I've had to work with it to figure out what works for me but it's dependable and satisfying. I do add a protein powder and a greens powder in addition to a fruit and fresh veggies and it does require a good blender.

I make salad fixings in advance and often take a salad in a lunchbox. I add nuts for protein and keep the nuts and dressing separate until I'm ready to eat. It works for me, but if I needed more I'd probably consider taking soup in a thermos.

Best wishes! Kudos for recognizing that you need to take care of yourself so that you can care for others.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #8  
Tim Curry is my bf

S/C/G: 208/205/140

My phase I staples:
Eggs
Salmon (Atlantic and Pacific)
Sunflower seeds
Tomatoes
Mixed greens/romaine lettuce/spinach
Green beans
Broccoli

This, and tofu, is basically what I eat. But if you take a good look at the links posted in the first reply you should be able to tailor some staple foods to fit your tastes. Good luck!
Rocky Horror is offline   Reply With Quote