Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Default Need help calculating recipe calories..

Hi All!
I need someone to back up my math/logic with my calorie calculation for my ranch dressing recipe.

Ingredient info

hidden valley dry ranch packet - 80 cals
plain greek yogurt (5.3oz) - 80 cals
1 cup 1% milk (8oz) - 100 cals
total calories in recipe: 260

So, next I am trying to figure out calories per tablespoon. I googled and it said there are .5 oz in a tablespoon.

So, I added 5.3oz + 8oz = 13.3oz then divided that by .5 to get = 26.6 tablespoons total in my recipe.

So, then I divided 260 by 26.6 = 9.77

So, if all my math is correct does that mean there is only 9.77 calories per tablespoon?

I just want to make sure I didn't miss anything major because the dressing is really good and it seems to good to be true to be less than 10 cals per tablespoon
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Your math looks correct to me....that's scary!!

double check again...lol

Although I did look up Ranch and low-fat Ranch Hidden valley said about 80 cals for regular and 45 for the low fat...maybe because it is a dry mix you have your count is lower.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
Your math looks correct to me....that's scary!!

double check again...lol

Although I did look up Ranch and low-fat Ranch Hidden valley said about 80 cals for regular and 45 for the low fat...maybe because it is a dry mix you have your count is lower.

Yeah the dry mix it's self has only 5 calories per serving! Plus I used fat free yogurt instead of mayo-- That's what did it!
It's IS scary low in calories and really good!! Much better than any low fat bottled dressing..
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: S-218/C-170/G-159 & 24.9 BMI

Height: 5'7"-BMI-26.6=OVERWEIGHT

I'm having the same problem today. I came up with my own recipe for sweet potato soup. I'm adding up all of the calories per item and dividing by number of cups/Servings. I hope that's right.
LAgreeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote