Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 301.2/212.4/135

Height: 4'11

Default Can I?

Can I drink Gatorade? I have quit drinking drinks.
babygurl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I don't see why not ... my DH luvs them becuz he rides his bike a lot and it helps him replenish his system quickly. They do have some sugar & salt in them; but as long as you don't drink too much and there isn't any problem with that, it should be OK. Check the label to make sure.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #3  

Thank you
Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I would have to say no, and that is both from personal experience and research. Gatorade and other sports drinks are primarily sugar and water, and they cause your body to gain weight and make losing weight difficult. A lengthy but worthy explanation of what sugar does in your body - and why it makes weight loss so hard and weight gain so easy- is on YouTube called "Sugar, the bitter truth" and after watching that I even avoid fruit juice, let alone any man-made sugary drink. The only time I would say you should make an exception is if you are exercising for hours at a time where you would seriously deplete your body's stores of electrolytes but even then there are much better choices than Gatorade. I like to drink pure coconut water which has far less calories and sugars, but also I make my own recovery drink using a calcium/magnesium powder with a dash of cayenne (for potassium). I don't put salt in it because I find that my diet typically isn't lacking in sodium.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #5  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, there is no doubt that drinking WATER would be the best option for us all; and this guy thinks milk would be better too (but I have a lactose intolerance problem). WATER is cheaper and readily available. I also drink green tea, regular tea, and a bit of coffee with no sugar or fructose added. My last doctor told me not to drink fruit juice as it had too much fructose-sugar in it (but he said I could eat the fruit itself, in moderation), as I was watching my blood sugar levels.

I don't know how much sugar & fructose & sodium are in each one as I don't drink them myself. You could make your own flavored water by adding a small amount of lemon or lime juice to your water ...

BTW, I found many things Dr. Lustig had to say very interesting, besides watching what we drink and cutting out foods/drinks with lots of sugar & esp fructose in them -- like increasing our Fiber to match the carbohydrates; eating more raw foods; and exercising a whole lot more.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-26-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #6  

Ok tank y'all. I decided to not drink anything but water and tea and cranberry juice unsweetened or the light kind but is it ok to drink apple juice?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygurl12 View Post
Ok tank y'all. I decided to not drink anything but water and tea and cranberry juice unsweetened or the light kind but is it ok to drink apple juice?
As to whether any of the beverages you've mentioned are "ok" it's really a personal decision and depends on what your goals are.

If you mean "ok for weight loss" it depends on your plan. Are you on a low-carb plan? Are you on a plan that controls portions through "counting" food in some way (carbs, calories, points, exchanges...)

There's some research evidence that suggests that beverage calories do not satisfy hunger in the way that more solid foods do, so drinking your calories often isn't the best strategy for weight loss, especially when the calories are carb-calories, because some people respond to high-carb foods and beverages with increased hunger.

Most fruit juices (including apple juice and cranberry juice) are higher in calorie per serving than Gatorade. Both juices and gatorade contain sugars. Gatorade also contains sodium and other electrolytes, but most people don't need the extra sodium. There are lower calorie gatorade and electrolyte beverages but unless you have an electrolyte deficiency or are working out extremely intensely, the electrolytes aren't necessarily helpful.

Apple juice and many other juices really aren't much better than kool-ade, because most of the fiber and some of the other nutrients are left behind, so you're mostly getting sugar and water (and a few good antioxidants - but eating the whole fruit is going to be more satisfying and will provide more nutrients).

You really have to read the labels, and know what you want and are willing to include in your diet and what you don't.

I'm carb-sensitive, in that I lose better when I restrict carbs and high-carb foods tend to make me so hungry that I call that carby-hunger, "rabid hunger."

Juices tend to trigger that kind of hunger for me, because they're such a concentrated form of carbohydrates. If you don't get hungrier (or are willing to accept the extra hunger and are accounting for the calories) you can include juices in your diet. You just have to remember that they contain calories, and the calories count. If you're carb-sensitive, they may even count for more than fat and protein foods. I lose better on 1800 calories of low-carb than on 1800 calories of high-carb (and on the high-carb I'm 10 times as hungry). So for me, the best strategy is to avoid or drastically limit sugar containing beverages, and to count them when I do indulge.

Even with my carb-sensitivity, I do drink cranberry and other berry juices, but never full-strength, and usually not on an empty stomach. I dilute it with unsweetened sparkling water or diet Sprite (I'm not opposed to low-calorie sweeteners. I use Splenda, aspartame, and sometimes stevia). And I dilute it a lot (Maybe 20% or less juice to 80% water or sparkling water with a bit of Splenda).

I don't usually buy the Light, because it's more expensive. The Light cranberry juice is just cranberry juice, Splenda, and water - so I buy juice and dilute it myself. Not only is it cheaper, I can dilute and sweeten to my preference.

I always measure out my juice to make sure I'm getting only the calories I want (I use an exchange plan, and one fruit exchange is equal to 70 calories of fruit or juice).

You don't get a lot of juice for 70 calories - only 3 to 6 ounces. You'll get twice as much for the "Light juices" but they're very expensive compared to buying full-strength juice and diluting and sweetening it youself.

Last edited by kaplods; 10-27-2011 at 08:56 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #8  

See dats where I'm different when i drink cranberry juice I dnt get hungry but when i do I drank me a glass of water. Cranberry juice help me with my uti and i add it to my plan. I don't drink it everyday, all day. I drink it 2 times a week. I'm on a low calorie diet but I do watch my carbs and fat intake. I do excerise everyday 25 mins in the evening, 10 mins of dancing and another 25 mins at night. I mostly drink water. 6 cups everyday. I know it should be 8 but I think I'm doing very well compared to a month ago. I didn't drink dat much water now beside maybe a cup of cranberry juice every other day, water is all I drink now.