General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 01:38 PM   #1  

Hi Everyone! Has anyone tried the Pritikin plan? I have just read the book, and it sounds so good after struggling with low carb diets for the last year. I cannot seem to stick to them for long, and then binge on carbohydrates and my weight shoots right back up. I love the type of foods that Pritikin allows, thegood veggies, grains and potatoes etc. I am not a meat eater or an egg eater, hence my problem with sticking to Atkins or low carb. I have really bought into the whole low-carb philosophy, and now it is hard to reverse my thinking that a low fat, high carb may just be the right thing for me! Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-14-2001, 12:18 PM   #2  

I think that I will get the book and read it, it sounds good. Right now, I am counting calories successfully, but I keep reading about various plans, I just take little bits and pieces from everything that I read and it helps keep me motivated.

asta
327/273/170?
Old 04-14-2001, 01:44 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Other books you may want to check out!

Pritikin is very similar to Dr. John McDougall's and Dr. Dean Ornish's programs in the basic premise of basing your diet on starches (potatoes, whole grains, oatmeal, etc) with a healthy dose of fruits and veggies...McDougall's plan is far more strict (total vegan) than Ornish's "Eat More Weigh Less" program (which does have a few animal products, such as skim milk and fish, included).

Both McDougall and Ornish have had some amazing results with controlling heart disease, high blood pressure, cancer and other illnesses largely through the use of a vegetarian diet. Dr. Ornish has even been able to reverse the effects of heart disease!

Your library should have their books -

"The McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program" - an EXTREMELY strict diet - but you won't get hungry, as you are allowed to eat as much of the allowed foods as you desire (with the exception of fruit). If that's too strict for your tastes, check out his "The McDougall Program: 12 Days to Dynamic Health" which is still vegan but less restrictive (centered more towards overall physical health than weight loss). His wife has also written a few cookbooks adhering to the McDougall Program. www.drmcdougall.com is their website if you want more info!

"Eat More, Weigh Less" by Dr. Ornish was recently updated - haven't seen that edition yet...

Both these programs are very low in fat so you may want to include a bit of olive oil in your diet if needed.
Old 04-15-2001, 05:26 PM   #4  

Default Hates to eat the animals

Dear LAH2366,
Good lord, girl! Somehow, someway, we've ended up with the same taste buds.
Reading of your experience with low-carb, rebounding in horrible ways with sugar and starch cravings, I knew I was seeing a metabolic soul-mate in the same fix I seemto be in. My natural appetite is for baked goods, cereals, fruit, and, of course, processed sugar, wherever it may lurk.
Anyway, wanted to report that I abandoned the Atkins approach for hopefully the 20th and last time. DID NOT experience the much touted energy increase, notto mention cessation of appetite! Plus, the last time on it, I saw, "Pig in the City," with piglet "Babe," and cried my eyes out for all the supposed "energy-giving" bacon I'd been trying to get used to for breakfast.
Now I'm trying 10mg Meridia, awaiting the appetite reduction said to occur in 7 to 10 days, and eating much salad with some real mayo, as having tried the non-fat version, have no doubt it is served at Satan's "Welcome, Newcomers!" banquet in ****. Have also been making grated carrot salad with some real mayo, a very few raisons (Atkins mind control program still operative), and some aspartame; trying to switch to Splenda sweetner for health, but cost is prohibitive.
Have lost about 3lbs. since start last Wednesday. Please write what's working well or doesn't work at all for you.
My best to you on The Journey, LAlady
Old 04-22-2001, 07:10 PM   #5  

Default Wow! Me Too!

Dear LAH and LA LAdy,

I swear you both are my long-lost twin sisters.....LOL Like you, I have dilly-dallyed with Atkins and low-carbing and I just CAN'T DO IT!!! I think the sicence behind them makes total sense but I just feel strange and unnatural eating so much protein!!

Like you, I am trying so hard to reverse my thinking about high-carb diets that incorporate ANY type of food (in moderation of course).......I find myself actually afraid to eat a potato for heaven's sake! Are you experiencing this too? How are you all doing on your high carb plans?

Jennifer
221/150
Old 04-23-2001, 06:29 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Default Ditto Here with the Dr. Atkins.....

I to have tried Atkins and Suzanne Sommers, which is very similar but not as trict as Atkins....

Took me quite a while to stop that Atkins way of thinking of no carbs at all.....I would gag at the thought of bacon and eggs for breakfast every day...ewwwww..... so then I went to Suzanne's diet, healthy whole grain cereals for breakfast, then no carbs the rest of the day....to no avail.... I think it has taken me a good 8 months to get out of the no carb mode....

Now I basically follow the Prevention Diet plan, whole wheats only, high fiber foods, no white pasta or breads etc... and I feel full and satisfied....Yeah!! With much less cravings for carbs than before altho if I would say NONE at all I would be lying....LOL...I do love my chocolates speciallyl since EAster since I over endulged at the time, and haven't gotten over it....

Anyways that was my 2 cents, hope you all have a great day.......

Toodles.....

Lana..........
Old 04-25-2001, 02:14 PM   #7  

Here's another sister! I tried Atkins and got soooo sick of meat! I lost a total of 5 pounds and then gained it all back in one sitting of carb. withdrawls! Now I trying to not eat red meat, chicken, or pork. I feel so much better! I'm also doing the WW plan so I do count my points for the things I eat. I've been on this a week and so far am 1.5 pounds down. I know it's a lot slower weight loss, but I really don't want to put this weight back on.
Old 04-27-2001, 10:19 AM   #8  

Just for the record, Atkins program does allow carbs. You were on it and didn't know that.... *just wondering* Induction (first two weeks) allows up to 20 grams of carbs, and after that most people eat between 20 and 40 grams of carbs that should come from green leafy veggies and low carb fruits like blueberries and strawberries. But it's so unsuitable for people who don't like meat, no doubt.

I don't understand why people refer to his program as a no carb program.

Now I count calories and follow no other program than my own, but I love to read and learn new things....so I've read his book and protein power but not somers book. That's why I was peeking in here lol...

I hope Prit program works well for all of you who try it
Closed Thread